PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to the Real Mechanics

Gil_J
11-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Where have all of our mechanics gone? I think the computer driven diagnostics pendulum has swung too far into the technology side of mechanical repairs.

It’s no surprise mechanics had to augment their skills to cope with the wide variety of electronic controls that make or break the operation of most modern over the road engines. Initially and for the most part this has been a welcome change. Diagnostic systems have advanced to the point of telling a mechanic what has to be replaced. With few exceptions the mechanic doesn’t have to be a troubleshooter any longer to be successful.

The down side of the pendulum swing is that few mechanics have furthered or even retained their skills that gave them the ability to apply logic to a problem that couldn’t be solved by computers or to question the computer system’s diagnostics. Instead, and I’ve seen this numerous times in recent months, mechanics are throwing parts at problems in hopes of a fix.

I’ve overheard Volvo mechanics saying, “Well that didn’t do it, let’s try this”. I had a valve body fail in my Explorer twice in 14,000. The likelihood of that is nearly zero. Still, the second failure included replacing the valve body and 4 other major parts. Of course, I was expected to pay for both repairs even though the first repair was probably incomplete. Both of these examples were with systems with computerized diagnostics. On the other side of technology driven repairs, I recently spent time at two different Detroit shops in Canada. The first misdiagnosed the problem. Thankfully, they didn’t have the time to do the repair because the second shop said the first diagnoses were wrong. The second shop spent hours ruling out problems that they may have heard of once or twice over the last umpteen years at the cost of far too many labor hours. In this case, technicians may have become too dependent on computer driven diagnostics. They had the symptoms, but just couldn’t arrive at a logical path to problem isolation. Another case comes to mind where misdiagnosis of a Series 60 problem came with a recommendation for an in frame rebuild. In that case, they simply didn’t fully analyze the other potential problems that could have given the same symptoms. That fix should not have taken more than an hour.

It sure helps when you have enough expertise yourself to help drive the troubleshooting effort or at least know when their path is not the most direct.

Make no mistake; there are some really good mechanics out there. The problem is figuring out which ones are the good ones. If you always go to the same shop you probably have figured that out. But what do you do when the problem happens on the road?

travelite
11-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Gil,

I'm hopeful this issue will come full circle to the point where individuals will be able to fix things again. For now manufacturers are enjoying a heyday of sealed, disposable consumer electronics and products with no parts availability, schematics, or source code, and only voided warranties awaiting customers who crack open cases. The maker movement and FOSS (Free Open Source Software) is driving this effort. People want to get inside boxes again. Folks are pushing aside closed architectures (Microsoft) and embracing Linux and other open source architectures. The drive is so powerful that companies are releasing fully featured open source drivers for their latest hardware, nVideo for example, so it's not a matter of trading off open source for yesterday's technology. Standards, open source, and public licensing are the answer to putting technology back into our hands.

This is why the only Prevost conversions that interest me are those that come with full and detailed schematics.

KenEhresman
01-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Amen, The amount of incompetence astounds me..... had a dealer tell me they couldn't change oil in a crappy saturn company car, because the bolt is stripped... 3 other places said same..... Channel locks, and 20 minutes later, with $3.15 new drain plug, oil was changed..... the dealer said 2K to change the oil pan lol...

then had an international 4300 in for a brake line that busted, old rusted line, 4-5K estimate.... yep, @200 in new lines, bleeding and away we went.... it is crazy.....

Gil_J
01-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Sadly a friend recently paid a lot of money (well north of $10K) to have a Valid slide seal replaced just to have it fail within a week of repair. Not good.

Another paid to have 2 inverters repaired. One was repaired and the other has the same exact problem it went in with.

We tend to talk more about the poor service experiences than the good ones. Let's just hope there are a whole lot more good experiences we aren't hearing about. The folks at WW Williams in Toledo, OH were my heros when I had recent engine problems. They cut me a little slack on parts and labor on my estimate. The job was done on time, correct and under the estimate. There's a good news story and I'm hopeful we all have them.

KenEhresman
01-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Gil, Unfortunately I cannot speak too highly about most all the service events I have...Upgraded the 2000 to the 365 last year at Jacksonville, and they rushed to get me done after pushing me back an extra day (im sure to accommodate a commercial account) then adjusted the steering for the wheel being centered, now it is cocked 15-20degrees to the left..... you would think if someone was spending 25K for wheels, tires, shocks, alignment and misc other, they could get the steering wheel straight and have it done in time...