PDA

View Full Version : Wrecker Yards

Joe Camper
09-02-2016, 09:08 PM
I am curious if any members in all your travels know of or have seen a totaled xl sitting.

I would possibly have new life for an xl that has been totaled specifily one with front end damage.

If u know of one or ever come across such an animal I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks in advance

Joe Camper
09-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Ok u guys I have a project!! I have recently purchased a peterbuilt 379 and am going to convert it into a motorhome. A 22000 lb motorhome with a 3406 cat and a 13 speed roadranger transmission. I'm once again sitting atop big wheels and I'm as excited as I was the day I bought my xl. Now I have to decide just how different I want it to be.14030

The spot this fellow picked to haul his bicycle speeks volumes.

Here is what I'm starting with below.

The bunk the headache rack the 5th wheel and the front rear end r going by by.

dale farley
09-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Joe, Glad to see you got the pictures figured out. Keep us posted.

Joe Camper
09-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Szzw14034

Lot of talented creative people out there on the interweb to get inspiration from. This will be fun.

Gil_J
09-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Okay Joe, here's your goal.

https://goo.gl/images/NT64DD

Joe Camper
09-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I like the door. Its in the right spot.

Time will tell. Won't be grafting an xl to it this year that's for sure. This is defiantly not going to brake the bank and it us going to be easy to work on.

The correct registration and insurance hindges on it being a motorhome.

For now I'm going to make it one so I can register it and insure it as an RV. I already have the RV travel trailer it will be married to.

I cant afford and won't risk a loss on it during a prolonged project. Or it ud have to be insured as a commercial vehicle during that time for more Lew bucks I want to surrender. I'm not even sure st farm would do it. They will only insure if the RV is nondetatchable. No heavy truck chassis with 5th wheels at St Farm. I estimated the gvw at 22000. I described it as a Class B. To insure it as an RV is 1\10 what it costs to insure it as a truck.

The state has a pretty straight forward process to redefine the registration, specialty vehicles.

I don't want to wait either, I want to use it this winter.

This way I'll have the luxury of as much time as I need to refine the finished product. Its gonna take a few years.

U just might wake up to me in your driveway this winter Gill. Where was that outlet I forget?

Denny
09-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Joe,

I think it would be classified as a Class C. The Class B is a van. If you converted your van it would be a Class B. The truck chassis (Freigntliner, Peterbilt, etc) motorhomes are a Class C. This might make a difference in insurance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Joe Camper
09-05-2016, 09:32 PM
B,s and Cs r both van chassis.

Whatever I end up with im sure there won't be anything hanging up over the cab and I was thinking the difference between a class b and class c was that 1 thing. If no bunk or entertainment center over the cab its a class b not a c? That could be wrong too. St farm simply defined it as a peterbuilt rv don't know if they were critical of other definitions.

Denny the red b model mack I posted picture of that IMHO is a c. The lines an preportions on the low top pete cab r just too good looking to cover up.

Hey Denny what have u been doing with your B model. How about some pics?

Gil_J
09-06-2016, 07:49 AM
I think Denny is correct. A class B is van based, class C is cab only based, truck or van cab. I can imagine a DMV that makes a registration difference between RV classes beyond towable or motorized.

Joe Camper
10-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Ok back again. That first pete never materialized. However I did find and purchase this.

This is a 1990 peterbuilt 377 with a 3406cat and a 10 speed. Preferred power but wrong trans but not to worry it has a 13speed in its future. As u can see the process has begun.

Joe Camper
10-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Service body gone bunk off but I am hanging on to it.

Here is the travel trailer I'm removing the suspension from and putting on this chassis. Haven't had to do any stretching whatsoever. Look at how perfect the 2 back ends match up. Don't u love it when a plan comes together!! Stand by for updates its full speed ahead. Woooohooo I got a camper with big wheels and some horsepower again. I weighed the thing when I sold the service body to a local scrap yard. 17000 lb as it sits. That means when I'm done I'll have a camper with a 450hp cat mother tipping the scales at under 25000lb. Get the picture. Yaaaaaa baby

dale farley
10-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Nice looking rig Joe. I'm sure it will look very different the next time we see it!

Denny
10-06-2016, 07:37 PM
What are you gong to haul your tools in? The transformation looks good, keep us updated on progress.

Joe Camper
10-07-2016, 02:54 AM
Hey Denny how have u been? Tell Ruth Ann hello.

My 1 ton diesel van is going away and I'll replace it with a 18 or 20 ft enclosed trltr. I've found aluminum 4 by 8 ft sheets they skin hallmark trlrs in. I'll peel the current siding off of the camper and reskin it after I square the front of it and cut an opening to match the one in the back of the cab.

Once I get it up on the truck it will talk to me and I'll decide how I put the lower skirts and compartments. I recon a lot of it will happen this winter in fl.

I've gotten quite busy finding time will be a factor but there is always 2am right!!

Denny
10-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a great plan Joe. Keep us updated with pics as you develop your camper. That large trailer will give you plenty of room to operate from.

aggies09
10-10-2016, 07:25 PM
I have been able to witness the transformation from picking up the truck in Eastland, TX to all kinds of modifications. I have been able to lend Joe a place to work and modify his creation so that he can get it to Chicago for final fitting. He has been very creative and resourceful in his planning stages. I'm just glad to say that I was there at the birth of this project. Joe is a very talented and creative guy for those of you who may not have met or known Joe in the past. if you have a bus that needs looking after, you need to put him on your routine maintenance list. He replaced 23 air fittings on my bus last week and for the first time in two years, I have good pressure again. Thanks Joe!!!!

Joe Camper
10-11-2016, 05:10 AM
LOL. Tony I wasn't going to reveal just where u were at when I got here but now that u brought it up.....

Your XLV would not get over 80psi at idle when I got here and now it's sitting on 125psi for days and that makes a happy happy bus.

We got your aux air compressor to cycle less than once a day and replaced the original aux compressor with a California air so when it does go on u can't barley hear it anyway. Got prevo to get the otr ac and the trans retarder squared away. Upgraded the original Heart inverters to a pair of 4000w Magnums. Got the toilet flushing and calibrated the tank sensors. Upgraded to an auto adjuster on the alternator belt. Put A Fresh Set Of Rubber brake Hoses and brake Relay valves. Did a lot of rubbing and and gave your liberty some good lovin. It's ready for the next 20 yr.

U really need to do something about these little scorpions and all the prickly cockleburrs. In chicago our lawns r sod. We roll in them with our dogs quite comfotably and without fear of being stung.

The wrecker shows up today and the metamorphosis of the peterbuilt will take place promptly at 8am wooohoooo. It's 4am and coffee is brewing.

Gil_J
10-11-2016, 07:08 AM
Joe is the go-to guy when it comes to Prevost suspensions. For some odd reason he enjoys the limited dirty work area under these buses.

The auto adjusting belt tensioner was a good idea. Until I looked, I has no idea how pricey that conversion kit was. Still, if the old manual adjuster has problems the conversion is a good investment.

Joe Camper
10-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Prevo can only get the pully bearings. DD has made all the manual adjusters obsolete so it was the only choice.

dale farley
10-15-2016, 07:46 AM
If I were going to try this, mine would probably look more this one.

Joe Camper
10-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Turn the receiver upside down

Backup on a couple of moderate ramps

And you can back up onto a tilt bed car hauler and just clear it going up

Bam

3, 8 ft 5 in pipes and a come along.

If u ever wondered if we had rednecks in the big city now u know.

Joe Camper
10-15-2016, 10:41 AM

Put some plywood skirt on it to get it home. I built a towbar from the trailer tongue that i cut off to pull my van. U haul wanted 450 1way for a car trlr aniline to chi

The incubation begins.

Jugndan1
10-17-2016, 12:23 AM
Joe, That is simply incredible! It almost looks like it rolled off the converter floor (although the step out from the doors might surprise you!). Please keep the pics coming as you roll through this project.
Can't wait for round 2

Doug

Joe Camper
10-17-2016, 07:11 AM
Doug your comments r too kind. Many of my friends have suggested very clever ideas for the door and steps. When I reskin it I'm loosing the rear door that is not really needed for a small RV such as this and I'll make 1 larger bedroom window out of the current door and smaller window that is there now. That leaves me with having to engineer only 1 way in.

Headed over to peterbuilt this morn with the vin to see just what 10 speed trans and rear end is in it.

Drove it back to Chicago from Texas without incident. Got 8.2 mpg at 72 mph. Tested it a few different times by jumping out into the hammer lane (left lane) when getting past by a large car (semi) that had galloped by . Nobody got away from me all night long. Its way less strenuous to drive than that van pulling a trailer was. I left Texas 2pm Friday afternoon and pulled up at home in Chicago at 8 am sat morn. An adrenaline filled trip. I have to install a cb before the next time out that will be a hoot.

Denny
10-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Glad you made it home safely Joe. You can take the trucker out of the truck but can't take the truck out of the trucker. You will have years of enjoyment and pleasure in you camper while you tour the country . Keep us posted on your progress

stephen murphy xl40
10-17-2016, 04:27 PM
thank you for all the helpful information looks looks like a great project. Many years ago built a motorhome on a 38' FC blue bird bus (the yellow one) replaced the 653 detroit with a 3406 cat, they all said it would not fit, but it did, ht754 Allison, ran like a bear, up hill and down. looking forward to meeting you and have you tweek my XL, all the best Steve Murphy

dale farley
10-17-2016, 09:19 PM
Joe, I am really impressed that you have it looking that good in such a short time.

Joe Camper
10-19-2016, 11:30 PM

Dale I had 3 things a van a pete and a bumper pull trlr I was 1200 miles from Chicago and it was the most cost effective and expedient way to just get er done.

Full coverage with state farm with a stated value of 40,000 is 550 a year. That's not bad. I contacted Springfield and started the reregestraton as a motorhome and its all spelled out what to do not difficult.

State farm was very inquisitive about 2 specific items does it have a 5th wheel and can the motorhome be detached both red flags for them. There is a growing community of not for hire privately owned semi tractors pulling 5th wheel rvs. They dont insure those. Guess they cant trust people to not use them for freight or some other such nonsense.

Springfield asked if the rv can be accessed thru the cab. That is 1of the requirements. Although currently it can't that is in the works. All simple requests and requirements. It will be squared away the day the sec of state comes to look and certify.

Right now I'm playing with ideas for the door. What I'll do initially is drop the door 10" in and put 1step inside, then this set of 3 that fold up and that 5th step that will needed will be a stoop that I'll put on the ground. That will get me camping and I'll get more elaborate and do things differently for final assembly. I'm going to deck out the chassis and cab first that will give me time to think about the house side. I'm taking the mirrors off the doors moving them to the cowel and roof so I can suicide the doors. 10 in exhaust, duel 15 in stainless breathers, nice visor. That stuff is all timeless and I already know exactly what I want the front to look like.

Gil_J
10-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Joe,

Here are a few options for stairs: www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_Stairs_and_Steps-pt-Scissor_Step.aspx

Joe Camper
10-20-2016, 09:17 AM
How did we ever survive without the interweb. Everything is out there isint it. Know what those steps need? An actuator controlled by a norgren LOL

Gill It has to pass the Gracy test.

14087 14088

And she is a big sissy she would not like some of those sizzers. If I ever get to it the final solution to the entrance and stairs will be quite different. This first set r temporary don't want to spend alot on them now.

Joe Camper
02-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Seem like there is a growing intrest in this platform.

Plenty of inspiration right here where I'm at.

Joe Camper
02-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Put 8000 miles on. Effortlessly, and, will turn another 5 in the next 30 days. Been in the keys recharging the batteries.

Gracys ride.

Joe Camper
03-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Pulling a 5th wheel. 4 door pete with 4 air ride bucket seats and a 40 in flat top sleeper grafted into the back. I really like this, wouldn't be too dificult.

Not a Kingsley but just a bumper pull trlr grafted to a KW and Studio sleeper. Home made.

Pulling a 5th wheel toy hauler. This has a 1 off air ride steer axle. Home made.

These r shots from the last 2 days.

Joe Camper
04-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Hey Dale yes I'm putting the bunk back on. I mistakenly removed it when I first bought the truck before realizing I could incorporate it.

I'm sliding the camper 3 ft back, removing the rear wall of the bunk, the front wall of the camper and grafting the 2 togeather.

Then lastly I'll reskin the camper with smooth sided white aluminum to match the bunk.

I called weller truck parts inquiring about rear end gear ratios. I'm going to put a 2.72 in it.

That will get me from 1800 rpm at 75 in 9th gear, down to 1500 rpm in 8th at the same speed. Currently 8.2mpg and I am excited about where mpg will get too. Possibly 10+ if I can stay at about 70 in 8th.

Pete I slept all day yesterday.

dale farley
04-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a PLAN Joe. Should look like a new rig when you finish.

Joe Camper
04-20-2017, 07:06 PM

The back of the bunk this morning.

Here is what it looks like now.

This is the ac evaporator and heater core pete puts in the bunk. My couch will be in this corner right on top of it and I'll be able to use it for aux ac and heat in the rear for the camper.

Tomorrow will be a big day. I move the house back 2 ft cut 1 foot off the front, removing the front wall, slide the bunk back between and connect the 2 togeather.

travelite
04-20-2017, 09:30 PM
Looking forward to some pics. I think it'll look great with the bunk.

Joe Camper
04-23-2017, 06:19 AM

Progress on this is defined as its gonna get ugly before it gets good.

I have defiantly created a project to keep me out of trouble. Both good and bad!! Holy Miley this is gonna take me the better part of a decade to complete with all the ideas I have bouncing around in my noggin. The more I look at it the more things I think of.

I only have 24ftr of house to work with and that creates issues out of things that r not in a 45 ftr.

2 things that seem small but important to me for user friendly issues r a garbage chute and a laundry chute both those baskets will be downstairs..

Also looking forward to autonomous retro fits for existing vehicles LOL. Andy who is selling that gadget?

Gil_J
04-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Is there anything you won't take on?

Joe Camper
04-23-2017, 11:15 AM
I can't do what u do.

travelite
04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the pics Joe. This is a great project!

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 03:08 PM

How's this for a set of mud flaps and stays.

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 03:35 PM
This hatch is going to make the laundry hamper real convenient and putting groceries and stocking the camper will be easy through here too.

I'll replace the small vent with a bigger smoked glass window that will take up the upper half of the hatch.

All the controls for the pete rear heat and ac r up top with a light and DC power outlet off of chassis.

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 03:53 PM

My couch is not rv it's lazy boy. I'm going to trim about 6in off the rear that is quite unnecessary up agsinst a wall and really free up those precious inches.

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
It's rough but I've taken 1 pretty big step forward and I can move back on board.

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 04:02 PM

Not your typical camper.

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Next project is stretch the frame after the axle to take this hitch / box / platform and move it back far enough so the entire platform extends beyond the back wall of the coach. I'll cut all the channel away and insert factory pete frame rails and a cross member or 2.

U won't be able to break it.

Joe Camper
04-27-2017, 04:19 PM

I have decided to turn these hatches 90 degree and use these bunk hatches and jams for my bay doors downstairs. They r perfect dimensions and will make huge strong bay doors. I'll need 6, 2 for the driver's side 3 for the pass side. I'm also going to take one hatch and stretch it taller to use it as an entrance door for the camper. I know where the first 2 candidates r located in a bone yard in Gary Indiana. I'll have to reskin them cause of the existing vents. If I decide to have them extend with the slides they r under I'll have them hindged at the top. If they stay put when the slides come out I'll hindge them down.

When I reskin smooth aluminum siding I'll probably introduce aluminum channel when the frame is exposed so I can use rivits for fastners. Exterior will be aluminum with rivits with aluminum radius corners at the rear.

travelite
04-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Looking good Joe. Thanks for the pics. The interior is actually very charming! :)

Joe Camper
04-28-2017, 11:33 AM
My cozy little coop Dave. I am going to steampunk the lighting and a few other little things.

Google image steampunk lighting. It's great man cave stuff.

Gil_J
04-28-2017, 12:12 PM
How will you produce the steam?

Joe Camper
07-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Allright then, back to the dirty deed.

After aggrivating myself on a search with people who either did not know what they r doing, don't know how to make a buck or lazy or all the above I drug this down the hill.

Here is my clip and crossmember for the next part of the build.
Streatching the frame on my peterbilt chassis 54 in after the drive axle to get my rear platform and hitch where I want it.

Lewbucks ..... zip zero nothing!

Prodriver
07-06-2017, 02:10 AM
Here is an RV wrecker with lots of great parts.

http://en.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/c/rvsalvagemotorhomes-partingout.pl

Joe Camper
07-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Hey Kirk. I just noticed your post thank u.

Can u guess what I'm working on today?

Clue....It's got an 8v with a dd3. Another clue, it's a crew cab.

Joe Camper
07-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Another clue.

It needed a jump start and the 24v Unimog was the easiest thing to use.

Prodriver
07-24-2017, 03:48 AM
Oshkosh truck of some kind?

Joe Camper
07-24-2017, 10:26 PM

Just a little farm implement to help pull a stump now and then.

Joe Camper
07-25-2017, 08:42 AM

I'm over in "central spares" this morn rootn a pair of brake shoes and I've found a prime candidate.

Look at the spindle nut LOL. After about 5 min I did start to see a couple drips of oil drop out. I love it here. Good stuff. These r things memories r made of for an aging wrench. Hope u all don't mind me sharing. I'm out here almost entirely alone all week for 12 weeks and I need people to talk to animals only get u so far.

Joe Camper
07-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Here r the shoes I'm looking to replace. R they worthy of the wall of shame?! Depends who u ask, lol

New old stock look a that. The best part of it , I don't have to spend any time or money running around I get er done and I go no place for nothing, usually.

If u guys ever hear of a project needing some input, I can fix and fab lots of stuff. I'm a pretty good hand. Have camper, will travel.

Joe Camper
07-25-2017, 11:24 AM

The old Dayton spoke hub and inboard drum is totally scrap metal. But

This has a real good ring to it. Might be a dinner bell for the garage. All it needs is a real unique banger and stand.

dale farley
07-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Joe,

All the "stuff" you get involved in, some how makes our buses seem a little less overwhelming. I could use that little camouflage pickup around the farm for many different things.

Joe Camper
07-26-2017, 09:43 AM
Hey Dale hope u r doing well and staying buisy.

The Unimog is a Mercedes and although it looks really cool they r rougher than rough very small cab to get in to and built really bad be carful with the unimog.

If u r looking to get that next piece of equipment for the farm and u don't have one of these a Grade-All , that's what I call this, is for sure one of the most versital tools on any jobsite. I need to pull some stuff off this cab and in minutes by myself I've got it right in the middle of all the comforts of home. When im done I'll stick it right back. The machine is used and is almost as easily opporated as a fork and spoon.

Grade all DEFINATLY a cool tool.

Joe Camper
07-28-2017, 11:52 AM

How would this do as a hood ornament on my Pete.

Chromed already. 21lb. Ya baby, this would make one with some gerth.

It was picked out of a scrap pile already chromed. It's unbelievable to me that some nitwit through this away for scrap at some point prior to it getting turned into a paperweight. 300 bucks was the asking price, yesrerday. Pinebush equipment.

Joe Camper
12-20-2017, 05:47 AM

I located a pair of 20,000lb trailer axles fitted with 12 in brake drums for a custom trailer I'm building to pull behind my Pete. Look what was living in hub number 2. Poor little guys.

Although the coach still looks the same it's got a boatload of doe put into it this year.

After futile attempts at hiring a welder to stretch the frame on the camper I've purchased a gas welder and come spring I'll get er done myself.

Joe Camper
03-04-2018, 11:17 AM
I'm parked just a little piece out of Beaumont Texas on Interstate 10 at a Texaco fuel stop True Value Hardware Store.

This is a great idea I've never seen anything like it they're going to do real good here I've been buying all kinds of stuff ever since I got here. A 24-hour hardware store at a fuel stop what a perfect collaboration.

I was able to scarf up this great big brass ship's ventilator stack and I went and got me some sandpaper here and started the polishing process.

How about that for a custom high speed front brake ventilator! How many guys got these?

Joe Camper
04-22-2018, 08:15 AM
I found the crossmember at a Boneyard for a hundred twenty five bucks Peterbilt wanted $700 for that crossmember it's three pieces. The frame rails I had bent custom made brand new stuff. That's 40 21/32 holes I had to drill

April finally decided to show up in Chicago and I'm back at it. Working on moving that hitch back some and get it to where it belongs.

Joe Camper
04-22-2018, 08:22 PM

BAM. Now I'm 36 ft. That's a good piece of work for two guys to get done in 2 days. Now I can begin to frame and build out the lower bays and compartments.

Joe Camper
06-05-2018, 07:38 PM
How about this chassis for a 6 by 4 motorhome.

Only a real man's chassis. The cigar lighter is a dead give away. 79 Crane Carrier Cab a Cummins Big Cam 400 Cat 16 speed automatic and all by American General. 45 MPH flat out.

PURE 100% AMERICAN METAL

I've been rubbing it in all the right places!!

Joe Camper
06-05-2018, 08:10 PM

I pulled the body off of it and am installing a 5th wheel. It will be pulling a 50 Ton detachable double drop lowboy.

It's been sitting for a decade probably more. Been to Iraq and back.

Joe Camper
06-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Brockway. Entire mechanical here and pretty much unmalested. I bet this was retired running then just sat. He has the doors.

A piston pump

I'm chasing parts today for a heil water pump on a old hahn fire truck.

Here is where it led me. Andy and his private collection. Not even 1/10 of his collection.

That Brockway first pic that is undoubtedly the oldest reefer I've ever seen. I love my job.

madoxusa
01-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Joe,

How is your RV coming along? I enjoying seeing your progress!

Where is Andy's fire truck located at? Can anyone go by and see his collection?

Joe Camper
01-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Andy's in the process of opening a museum in eastern Pennsylvania with those fire trucks.

I've had my Pete for 2 years now and everything I've done to it up to now has pretty much happened in the first 2 weeks. About the only real project I've gotten done over the two years I've had it now is stretching the frame out.

I'm building my schedule this year so that I'm going to be home in Chicago for about 5 months straight I plan on building out the lower compartments and Bays this summer.

For now, it's winter vacation on Upper Mattacumbie. Where all the boys r handsome and all the girls pretty.

BGLogistics
01-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Hey Joe just discovered this thread yesterday and read thru it. Coming from a parts-changer with no fab skills whatsoever (ME), you are one talented fella. That's impressive. Prolly win the race up the mountain too!

Joe Camper
07-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Was scheduled to come out and pull all the carpet out of this bus and put a floor in which I'm doing. I got a really good retired friend who's coming with me most trips when he can put up with me. He's a really really good mechanic got a degree in electrical engineering when he was younger nothing he can't fix whether it be below the water or up in the sky and everything in between and he is just a gopher for me now and he's a blessing to have around. I offer him to my customers if they've got any other stuff they need done keep him busy while he's here.

Headlights short
Ignition points timing
Carburetor rebuild kit original straight 6 engine
Huge electrical draw when off
Generator on the slide in and an air conditioning charge on the truck.

We had to take the carburetor apart on the power washer to get it running too. no picture so that don't count. lol

Here is the plethora of things that he's gotten running or repaired since we got here.

He likes antiques he is an antique

Joe and Larry coming to a town near u.

Joe Camper
07-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Here's a pretty cool extra for the garage!!

Golf simulator

Gil_J
07-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Joe, you're having too much fun.

Joe Camper
09-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Back to the RV.

Got buisy starting the lower compartments.

The door and frame r out of a peterbilt sleeper in a local bone yard that I've stripped and cleaned.

Far from perfect but got pretty finished with the door and frame. 1 down 5 to go.
Its 1/8 in aluminum and 3/16ths rivits that I brushed with a red scotch pad with a block.
Bay Door #1.

These r the brackets they mount boxes on semi trailers. I welded on an additional second strap they come with only 1. Then I'm going to add a couple removable center braces on the inner lower corners going across from left to right to the bay directly across from it on the other side. Under the driveshaft, tons of room. This will really strengthen things.

3/4 in ply sanded both sides then primered and 2 coats white all 6 sides before assembly.

Ripped down 7/8 in cleats and pre drilled, cross drilled holes for 1&5/8 screws in the corners. This entire box is still to be attached to the brackets once I'm sure just exactly where everything will live.

I'm still incubating ideas and this configuration will maybe change

BUT

The beginning of the plumbing bay the hatch will cover.

I'll have 125 gal fresh water and it will stay this side the 150 gal fuel tank directly to the left is going to be converted to a waste tank. 125 fresh 150 holding tank good numbers.

To balance things the 150gal tank on the other side will remain fuel and its accompanied by 2 8d house batteries, the inverter and the propane tanks in a similar bay I've already constructed over there. that will pretty closely equal the loads left to right and all the heavies r forward of the drives.

2 things I've picked up on. The details consume a great deal of time and u will also be constantly looking for that extra 1/2 in that u ain't got.

Joe Camper
09-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Closes on the same car door striker post everybody always uses. Way heavier than I expected. It's got to be close to 50lb. Sept for the hinge it's entirely aluminum.

Nothin fancy

Joe Camper
09-29-2019, 06:23 PM

Been raining here for days suppose to be nice tomorrow might get something done.

Ck2hans
09-29-2019, 11:32 PM
So Joe:
What do you do in your spare time ? LOL

Chuck

Joe Camper
09-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Hey Chuck. U can often find me piled up on the couch rubbing my dogs belly.

Then there's 8 weeks till winter vacation when I'll spend the first 2 hrs of the day trying to figure out how to waste the rest of it away, for 3 months.

Upper Mattacumbie, Islamorada, the Fl Keys.

I also spend a lot of spare time decorating.

Been run out of 2 different campgrounds in the last 2 years. Can u believe that? Looking for new neighbors!!

Joe Camper
10-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Here is a better configuration it leaves more room at the bottom of the bay.

Joe Camper
10-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Moved on to the fresh water plumbing for the gravity fill the vent and the drains.

All three tanks will fill and empty as one. 2 30s and a 20. 80 gallons.

Gonna fill them tomorrow first light!!

Joe Camper
03-31-2020, 03:32 PM
All right good time to get caught up on this thread. I had some typical sticks and Staples rotten issues that I finally had enough time to attack. I couldn't pull the water heater out of its opening after I removed all the fasteners because the back left corner had squatted down so bad it was wedged in there anyway so I figured I needed to fix that move that up on the priority list.

This is as far as I tore it down to have to get you good solid structure. It looks like hell and it should. Some of that wood that's in there top photo is temporary and Shoring the whole left corner of the trailer up the Jack was a nice handy tool. Push It all exactly where I wanted to and hold it there as I reframed it.

Joe Camper
03-31-2020, 03:50 PM

This mess took place in mid December over about a week or so.

Joe Camper
03-31-2020, 03:58 PM

Mockup for the rest of the basement looks promising. I don't have the hatch yet to match the rest of the rig but that can wait till I get back home.

It will be a bay that goes through connecting both sides.

Joe Camper
03-31-2020, 04:12 PM

CHOMP

Did this a while back and never put it in the thread. Built a stepwell so I could get rid of the ridiculous staircase I had to haul around with me. It turned out well my objective was to take away as little floor space as I can possibly get away with and get the door down at the same level is the bottom of the bottom of the Bays that I was building and to have each rise equidistant. The threshold is 12in off the ground and each rise is also 12in the treads r short and adequate just as I imagined. No outer step or stoop wanted or nessessary.

Joe Camper
03-31-2020, 04:28 PM

When I moved it down the void remaining between the stepwell and the fuel tank was of perfect dimension for me to build a basement Bay. That holds my batteries and my propane tanks perfectly.

A complete use of all the space that I had to work with and it all came together it showed me exactly what to do. I've got all my heavy is divided equally left to right and everything's forward of the drive axle. On this side I've got my batteries and my propane tank in my inverter that sits on the floor just above it there just inside the door and I have my fuel tank and it's all forward of the drive axle. On the driver side I've got my fresh water in my holding tanks and that's all forward of the drive axle.

It's come a long way but I tell you what I want more than anything that 3:08 rear end gear....... soon as I get home Then I'll be able to keep up.

1400rpm at 70mph and 28000lb with the trailer loaded could fetch me 11mpg at that speed. Maybe more. It's going to be good.

80mph will have me at 1475rpm and that leaves plenty in reserve. Wish I was doin it right now. Actually I should be cuz it's going to be a lot easier to pull that pig out of this truck without no Bay in the way but that's the way life is right.

Joe Camper
04-10-2020, 12:57 AM
Been at it again.

These r the same brackets I used for the water bay and the battery bay. Very strong and inexpensive not overly heavy. The other bays I drilled the frame these I hired a welder to come out after I did design layout and and mock up. He was here 2 hr well worth the money when u have my welding skills. I wanted real pretty welds and he was able.

3/4 in exterior plywood cut and installed without fastners .

Then all the pieces got 3 coats of the best exterior white to be had and I cut and put as many cleats as possible prior to final assembly.

I rip these out of 2by4s they r 7/8 by 7/8 and I predrill the holes 2 sides every 6in with a countersink bit.

If u have 3/4 ply plus 7/8in. cleat with a countersink hole a 1&1/2in drywall screw gets all of it. 3/4 cleat and the screw pops through.

It took me about an hr starting with 2 raw 2 by 4 to all the holes drilled not to bad for just enough for what I needed. Not going to paint the cleats no glue that fresh paint and a bead of caulk and that's it. I want to be able to get it apart if or when I want or need.

I'll throw it togeather tomorrow.

4 brackets 50 a piece 200
3 sheets ply. 150
Paint. 50
2 sheets 3/8 aluminum. 300
Welder. 300
Misc. 50

Still need 2 hatches with frames. 400

So I will end up with 1500 into both the rear bays start to pretty complete. Peanuts. Need lights and outlets maybe a mat for the bottom.

The center pass through is perfectly positioned for a ladder forward wall and large bin that will sit at the bottom of a laundry chute from above in the bedroom. I have really no use for any of the additional space in both these Bays except for that ladder and my laundry. I've been living in this RV 4 more months a year then I've been living in my home for the last five or six years and I just don't need the space I've been living in this thing long enough now to know what I need and what I don't. Those bays are there because the motorhome would be incomplete without them.

Joe Camper
04-10-2020, 01:30 AM

Because of the extent of the twist in a truck frame with a very long wheelbase u have to be careful how u mount a sticks and staples camper to it. If u tie it all togeather u will tear it to shreads.

The living quarters is mounted on the top of the frame rails with its own brackets. The basement bays have their own brackets mounted to the sides of the rails. Nowhere is the bottom of the living quarters and the ceiling of the basement ever connected. It will look connected and it might not even need any trim.

In the photo I'm illustrated how the aluminum of the basement will float behind the white aluminum bottom edge of the living quarters above. theres about 3in overlap there should be more than enough.

Fratto
04-10-2020, 02:08 PM
I am having a great time keeping up with your progress

BGLogistics
04-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Looks great Joe. I just realized where "spot 30" was. Didn't realize you did all that there.

Joe Camper
04-10-2020, 09:47 PM
What do u mean Billy? I'm on a ranch halfway between Houston and San antone a tic south of I-10. Where did u think I was?

What r u workin on Mark?

Joe Camper
04-10-2020, 09:59 PM

I'm going for the industrial look no paint on the cleats and black screwheads r all the visual interest for that finished look LOL Inexpensive simple and strong.

Here is a good look at the white aluminum cladding on the living quarters and how its overlaps the brushed aluminum for the bays. No fastners there.

Doesn't need any trim its seamless simplicity!!

The hatches r going to have to wait till the summer our country stood still is over and I can get back to Chicago.

The wheelwell will get radioused in similar brushed aluminum and it will have Zeus fasteners flush almost seamless and be removable.

Once this project is behind me I'm going to section the bumper and hitch taking 10in out of the bigger section and 6 in out of the smaller step.

Fratto
04-12-2020, 12:08 PM
We are gluing down all of the lifting corners on the milwork. Everytime we think we have them all, we find another one ha!
Installed a wine rack, about to have the acrylic glass cabinet re-worked to hold Reidel glasses that have a larger base
Need to come up with a nice mount of some kind for the iPad Pro so it is visible / accessible while driving

Other small odds and ends that do not hold a candle to what you are doing!

BGLogistics
04-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Joe I noticed the power pedestal with #30 on it in one of the earlier pics. Labelle?

Joe Camper
04-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Yup. U still want to help me change out the rear end on my 377?

BGLogistics
04-12-2020, 10:38 PM
Yep. I told u standing offer.

Joe Camper
04-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Out with the old 3.90s

In with a 3.08

Gil_J
04-20-2020, 03:38 PM
How do you always make things look easy, even when watching in person? Good work!

Joe Camper
04-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean it is.

I give myself the best presents nobody's ever even come close. I'll have no problem keepin up any more. Used to be 75 mph 2000rpm. If I calculated correctly 80 will now be 1475rpm. 70mph will be 1400rpm. Those r great numbers when the combined gross weight truck and trailer is 28000lb.

Fratto
04-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Amazing! Love the rear end hoist

Fratto
04-21-2020, 10:58 AM
It occurs to me ... where do you get a new rear end or replacement gears when you are on a ranch in central texas? Or do you just carry one around with you in case you have a spare day or get bored ????

BGLogistics
04-21-2020, 12:38 PM
Mark he had it shipped here a week ago so it would be ready and waiting.

Fratto
04-21-2020, 11:45 PM
Awesome ha!

Joe Camper
04-22-2020, 07:35 AM
Fratto it came from my own back yard. General Truck Parts 4040w 40th st Chicago.

I just put 800+ miles on the new rear and am comfortably rubbing my dogs belly lying on my home couch for the first time since Nov 20th of last year. Left OK city about 11 am. Rolled in the drive in Chicago bout 11 PM. Great to be home.

Saw regular for 1.17 south of DFW and that was not E85 and also paid 1.33 for fuel at a TA in Missouri that had 2.25 on the sign out front with my fuel card.

The speed calculator I used I must have put the wrong trans into the formula it wasnt quite what I expected

It took the revs from 2000rpm at 75 and brought them down to 1600 at 75. A great improvement but I should have went taller. I have a mechanical engine. The max rpm is set by the throttle stop. If I were to turn the engine at 2100 rpm instead of its current 2000rpm limit and put a new set of drive tires for my very worn current ones I will have effectively put togeather a 100mph motorhome.

That surely is crazy but that's not why I did it. I did it so when I'm at 75 and 80 and putting 800+ miles a day on it's no longer wound too tight for hrs on end. And when I happen apon the proverbial road leach I can easily dispose of them.

Cant wait for that next trip when I can go a steady 70 for 6 or 700 miles and see what fuel mileage is if I stick to that speed.

She goes good. I'll finally have to break down and put a CB in.

All my good friends with those overweight fuel guzzling buses. I feel so bad.

Fratto
04-22-2020, 12:21 PM
"Easily dispose of them ...." LOL. Love it. Glad you are home. If you are going 75 or 80, be nice when you blow our doors off. We dont do that especially pulling the wrangler with 1" lift and larger tires.

We are still in Kerrville, TX. Cant go home to see my parents and if we go back to DFW not sure our friends in Kerrville will want us back with that exposure. Thought we might get more bus chores done over the last 6 weeks but other things to do seem to crop up daily.

Enjoy your rest!

Loc
04-28-2020, 01:06 PM
Joe, those drive tires look like they need some air.

BGLogistics
04-28-2020, 09:03 PM
Joe you removed the pic of tractor lifting pumpkin?

Joe Camper
04-30-2020, 11:03 AM
No Billy that pic is on the previous page 10. And my good friend Loc continues to taunt me because he thinks I'm nervous about publicly admitting the tire pressure I run in my drives and that would be 55 PSI thank you. I got 60,000 miles on them tires at that pressure buddy. The wear pattern is perfect and I guarantee you you'll be the first to know if I ever lose one because of low pressure. How much pressure do you put in a 24.5 that is carrying 2700 lb on that tire? I'm the test pilot for this you can either stick your nose in the book or get out there in the real world and put it in practice.

Another case in point in the past when I have owned one ton pickup trucks with load range e tires that require 80psi. I never run 80 psi in the rear tires on a 1 ton pickup unless I'm hauling something which is Almost Never. I used to run 35 PSI and all my load range e tires unless I had a load in them and I never blew one ever. actually wear better. You put 85 PSI in a load range E Tire and a 1 ton truck when you're not hauling nothing it rides like there's Concrete in the tires and there's no suspension on it at all. Loc my drive axle is carrying 10,800lb a load that could easily be supported by 1 of the 4 tires at 100psi.

U get that overloaded Marathon back in the barn or u still waitin?

I'm going to have to get tire pressure monitors that have temperature sensors in them and loc buddy when those temperatures in my tires at 55 PSI at 80 miles an hour on the interstate is a lower temperature then what you're seeing in them 315 80s with a hundred in them poking along at 68 like u do then what are you going to have to say for yourself?

BGLogistics
05-01-2020, 12:01 AM
I should try the lower tire pressure on my dinosaur F250. I run 80 rear 50 front as door placard says. Ride empty is terrible, makes Lisa ill after a few rough roads. I did put 350 rear leafs on it years ago - my 220 lbs can jump up and down on rear bumper and it won’t move 1/2”. I may try 50#’s in rears. It does pull 12K occasionally so that’s why rears are at 80.

Gil_J
05-01-2020, 07:07 AM
Billy, ask Joe how to properly set air pressure. I think he inflates the tire to the pressure stated on the tire and then measures the bumper height. Then he lets the air out until the bumper drops an inch. Joe, did I get that right...LoL.

BGLogistics
05-01-2020, 08:31 AM
Would an inch do it? Or maybe shoot for two.

Joe Camper
05-02-2020, 05:57 AM
If u see no slight squatting at the bottom of a sidewall in a radial it's got too much air. Just the same as u know u r a overloaded sled if u got 315 80 with a 100 psi in them and the sidewalls r almost touching between the duels like the prevo motorhome.

Joe Camper
07-02-2020, 08:21 AM

Inspiration. I wonder how many separate circuits they put the lights on?? The visor and the bullet spot lights r to die for. Can't see them but the doors r suicide.

Good humor. I understand if u Detroit Diesel guys don't get it.

BGLogistics
07-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Love the CAT FOOD decal - reminds of another I saw on a nice street rod back when fuel prices were high - "FOSSIL FUELS ARE YUMMY". It was well thought out to aggravate all the right (scratch that) "correct" people.

Joe Camper
08-06-2020, 05:35 PM

Rodger Spooner was still truckin at 97. He may have passed away before publication his funeral flag is displayed

The Yorktown was SEVERELY attacked and damaged twice the second time being sunk in the battle of midway. It had to be scuttled, so sad.

Haven't read the article bet there's 5 million miles on this pete. Roll on.

Joe Camper
08-06-2020, 05:42 PM

Look at that!

Bam. Good lookin 88 even if it ain't no pete.

These ud make awsum 4 by 4 pickups. Wonder what u would pay at a military surplus auction for 1?

They got Cat motors in them and look u can put a machine gun on the roof on a turret after u get it!!

chiplamb
08-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Inspiration. I wonder how many separate circuits they put the lights on?? The visor and the bullet spot lights r to die for. Can't see them but the doors r suicide.

I think that's the old Reliable Carriers show truck - a few generations ago - next time I see Mike or Cindy White I'll see if I remember this post.

Joe Camper
08-06-2020, 07:37 PM
Its now on the vintage race car road course circuit. Sebring, road Atlanta, Virginia international raceway ect.

2 great camping events coming up. Virginia international raceway last of sept Road atlanta early October. Both 4 day events with 1 week between some power mostly boindocking very very inexpensive for what u get. Ill be at both.

Racing, custom car shows, total pit access. 5 mile road courses in the hills. Something for the entire family. Come 1 come all watch Jack Finch (14R ) battle it out with the likes of Bill Elliott. Wide open spaces totally covid friendly!! I don't think its 200 for a camping pass.

Hey Chip u know. Real diesels smoke when they drink. They have throttling controlled by linkage not wires and the r always only 1 color Caterpillar yellow. U guys with those Canadian p model buses should paint yer motors yellow and at lease get 1 of the 3 right.

That military thing its got a yellow motor in it too and I guarantee its got Delvac oil in it not that donkey piss every body else peddles.

chiplamb
08-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Its now on the vintage race car road course circuit. Sebring, road Atlanta, Virginia international raceway ect.

2 great camping events coming up. Virginia international raceway last of sept Road atlanta early October. Both 4 day events with 1 week between some power mostly boindocking very very inexpensive for what u get. Ill be at both.

Racing, custom car shows, total pit access. 5 mile road courses in the hills. Something for the entire family. Come 1 come all watch Jack Finch (14R ) battle it out with the likes of Bill Elliott. Wide open spaces totally covid friendly!! I don't think its 200 for a camping pass.

Hey Chip u know. Real diesels smoke when they drink. They have throttling controlled by linkage not wires and the r always only 1 color Caterpillar yellow. U guys with those Canadian p model buses should paint yer motors yellow and at lease get 1 of the 3 right.

That military thing its got a yellow motor in it too and I guarantee its got Delvac oil in it not that donkey piss every body else peddles.

I used to do some marketing stuff for VIR and raced there, great place. Working on getting a CAT 3208 ATAAC back up and smokin again too, we'll get back on it soon.

Rootdmd
08-08-2020, 06:54 AM
Joe, I’ll be doing a track weekend Sept 18-21 at Sebring. This member of your harem will be due an oil change/annual service if you find yourself in the area. :-)

Joe Camper
08-08-2020, 08:30 AM
I ready ror a teath cleaning. Used to have a Cuda same color. Go git after it

Joe Camper
08-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Let's go racin boys. This represents about 1/1000th of what shows up.

Fratto
08-09-2020, 10:12 AM
wow, great cars and great pictures. Glad youre having fun

Joe Camper
05-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Here is emergency repairs at their finest.

On a recent trip a prolonged gusting crosswind seporated me from not 1 but 2 roof vents. The one on the trailer was already cracked and vulnerable but the one on the camper was not. As I continued on headed east yesterday I was staying just ahead of a strong line of storms. Night was falling. I knew as soon as I stopped they would catch up and I had to act fast. Out in the middle of nowhere. As I drove along and daylight deminished I racked my brain. What have i got what can i do???

Didnt even have to go on the roof.

When the idea first occured to me I laughed like hell. Poke an unbrella through the hole!

Fun out on the road. Duck tape and tarp straps this should be a forum catigory.

Dthomas9572
05-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Joe,

I have not 10 leaks in my roof that pour into my coach....easy fix is buckets..I use the water to flush my toilets which do not work..and after boiling the water on my grill (as my water pump does not work) I have drinking water.. and since my AC does not work, I put fans over the buckets and it blows cooler air, I just wish I didn't have to run extension cords out the windows as my generator and inverters quit working...oh well

Thanks

Joe Camper
07-21-2021, 07:23 PM

Future back porch awning.

The project is back in gear demo has begun. Pieces r being gathered.

Joe Camper
07-23-2021, 07:16 PM

Im going to give up 1 ft of interior for 1 foot more back porch. The back wall of the blue standup sleeper and its 5 ft of floor will start here and go forward. Its roof, sides and front walls having been stripped away. Its roof will be reused and moved to the front and rerivited replacing the exzisting low roof currently up there.

The window will get moved over here.

There will be a bunk hatch here for the back door.

That second fiberglass stand up roof on the ground will get turned around backward and extend out over the back porch for the awning. 34 in thats a perfect little back porch and its gonna look peterbilt when im done using all thier stuff. Roof, hatches and radiused corners.

Note the double rivit line coming back.

Thats aluminum skin attatched to aluminum hat channel. On this low roof bunk their is only 1 row of 2 on the stand up bunk there r 2 rows of double rivits. Ive got all the same stuff. The walls will be clad in alum, framed in alum, with stainless rivits around all the windows hatches and doors just like Mr. Peterbilt.

From here to here is 21 ft subtract the exzisting bunk floor 3 ft and the 5 ft of double bunk floor that will be at the back ill construct a deck frame of 3 in channel welded togeather clad with 2by and decked with plywood to span the 13 ft remaining between the floors. The walls will be reconstructed with the same materials they originally were just a bit more distance between the front and back walls.

Tues bright and early the walls come down. Before darkness falls tuesday ill be lookin at bare frame rails.

The front and back doors all the hatches and all the basement bay doors im cuttingand welding out of the same extrouded aluminum used for the cab door jams.

Theres my new entrance door frame and the 2 scrap ends that got cut off got married togeather and will be the frame to the water heater hatch.

I dare say i might be building something that will actually be worth more than the cost of materials its going to take ro build it. Im keeping track close. The purchase price combined with all the things ive done on the chassis peterbilt side is right at 50k

Hoffman
07-23-2021, 08:31 PM
Definitely a 1st class chick magnet. Watch yourself Joe!

Joe Camper
07-23-2021, 09:39 PM
Its gone 14000 miles and been on both coasts since march 1st. Other than a marker light and a set of wiper blades its needed nothing. After i emptied it before i stripped it ou i weighed it.

Camper 22,000lb

9000 on the Steer 13,000 Drives

Trailer 8000 (loaded)

Combined Gross 30,000

Aint life grand!!

How much air pressure does michilan say to carry 4500lb on a 315/80?? 75psi for the steers? LOL As for the drive tires ive had 55 psi in the drives since i bought it and thats 100000 uneventful miles ago 4 yr ago. I love sharing that. 55 psi in the drives boys.

Joe Camper
07-27-2021, 06:16 PM

Day one was pretty productive. Call it a good day.

We r chomping away at the roof from both sides then we can take and put rhe roof air on the deck. Might drag rhe deck right off the back with a fork truck. Cut it up on the ground.

Fratto
07-28-2021, 11:16 AM
Wow! I guess I did not realize that you were totally starting form scratch!

Hoffman
07-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Starting from scratch gives Joe a chance to design in lots of Norgrens into his home on wheels. A sure sign of employment for him for years to come.. HeheHe.

Ck2hans
07-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Joe:
New look seam a bit drafty. LOL
Chuck

Joe Camper
07-28-2021, 03:50 PM

I had help i thought. Guy came in for 1 day yesterday worked an hr today and went home not feeling good. WTF I got deadlines. Ill need to advace the ball downfield on my own.

Joe Camper
07-28-2021, 07:44 PM

End of day 2. Tomorrow by lunch should be framing in the new deck.

Joe Camper
07-29-2021, 08:16 PM

Totally naked. There was a usable motorhome sitting back there tues morn. The old trailer frame cut up into 4ft bits lying on ze ground.

We will be welding 9am. Im at a tankwash and tomorrow first light ill pull in fer a good swabbin. I going to slow down a bit and take the oppertunity of the weekend to put some paint on the chassis after its been blasted with brightner. Give my back a rest.

Im sure half of u r looking and thinking what in the heck. U will see soon enough. I have figured a way to hang my siding sheets by myself seeing how my help has disapeared. U will enjoy it very clever. Full steam ahead.

I think its gonna be lighter.

norm45
07-30-2021, 03:12 PM
cool get er done

Joe Camper
07-30-2021, 04:18 PM

Here is what will be the stairwell. Just treads no risers and getting peogressively bigger as u go down will be storage trays that slide out. Im having the door swing back not forward because it will only block the tire when its open and wont interfere with an outdoor kitchen thats planned.

Then the back porch. Like storage in a submarine under the floor look dis a ready made cooler. Ill put seat belts out there and u guys can sit back there and drink cold beer while im up at the helm, in complete control!

That last 5 ft of space between where the deck ends and the porch begins is because thats where the other peterbilt sleeper i have will sit. Just its deck and its back wall.

The basement bays behind the drives r done and waiting for hatch doors. They r pass through roughed in an eternity of space. Not needed for anything camping related but a huge amout of space for pickins!!

Joe Camper
07-30-2021, 04:46 PM

There r very high output aux air and heat, red dot stuff, pete uses in the sleepers. The one in mine could do an amazingly good job in the camper if i closed the bedroom and bathroom doors. The other bunk floor and back wall going on the back still has its and i have all the controls and wiring loom. Im leaving it there it will be far back corner.

Question can u put 3 evaporators on 1 compressor?? The dash pluss two of these?

Joe Camper
08-02-2021, 10:57 PM

Spent the weekend painting the chassis the new iron floor frame all the 2 by and plywood.

Began to disassemble what will become the back of the camper.

This cap will be put up front. The front roof cap. Minus the spoiler. Im going to cut that so it lays down some and see whatbit looks like on the back of the trailer.

This is stripped down to what i want.

Bam. The back 5 ft of floor and the back wall. Me and another guy picked it up off the floor and put it on the back of the chassis. In my estimation it wasent overly strenous. No weight at all.

The camper not counting the cab or back porch is 21 ft and 40% of the deck is all aluminum. The exzistig bunk floor up front 3 ft and the back one is 5 ft. The iron frame between the 2 was 13 ft.

The walls will be all aluminum frame and siding rivited. I perdict it may be 1000 lb lighter and way way stronger.

Stick a fork in week 1. So far so good.

This place is great for truck watching. Check out these tank straps sharp.

Joe Camper
08-03-2021, 11:01 AM

With this mornings work all of the deconstuction is done.

These panels of the bunk walls with the openings for the hatches will be a huge timesaver and get reused for the back door and the bay door hatches. First as templates for the opening and rivit holes then in the finished product for the bay hatches.

Im framing the walls by the same construction peterbilt did originally. Aluminum hat channel +

Today i finish framing painting and securing plywood to the deck. Im going to temporary put tall sawhorses front and back to support the front and back fiberglass roof caps so i can rivit them in.

All thats left is everything else.

Gravedigger
08-03-2021, 08:46 PM
Its all starting to make sense now. Not sure how far you are from cassopolis Michigan I would tell you to bring Pete to my fab shop we could knock the welded framing out and roof system in no time and use overhead crane to set everything.

Joe Camper
08-04-2021, 12:20 AM
Oh no. Just a bunch of primitave implaments. This garage was generously opened and emptied to help me. Kankakee Tank Wash. Where big Cats roam.

Ill have a shell here before long. All im doing is building a shell finished on the outside less awnings and paint. Then im taking it home again and backing the pace way down. Thanks for the offer.

Joe Camper
08-04-2021, 12:31 AM
I used to pull a michigan train and go up and down M60 between Detroit and Niles where we would split them. I really enjoy Michigan 2 lane.

Maybe some day ill dazzle u with backing doubles. The mechanics would pay me 10 bucks a train to back them in for grease so they didnt have to split and rehook. Had the luck of running into some really great Michigan truckers who showed me what was up. Miss pulling those trains through Cassopolis. 35 years ago.

WinterStorm
08-04-2021, 11:35 AM
Joe, where’s the Prevost monocoque stainless steel unibody caging? :-)

Joe Camper
08-04-2021, 02:23 PM
Greg i have been there and done that. Whole bunch a that over north of the boarder. I do not have the money it takes to be a good prevo owner and if i did i probably wouldnt get another.

I love Peterbilt trucks

Canadians have there methods and Americans have their methods.

Joe Camper
08-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Hey Greg r u aware that Peterbilt assembles everything with huck fasteners, not blind pop rivits like ze buses.

Huck fasteners r way way stronger. Whats up with that???? How can that be?

WinterStorm
08-04-2021, 05:02 PM
I just know that whatever you do…it will be built solid and long lasting! It does seem odd that there are better means of fastening than pop rivets, but Prevost chooses not to go that route. Best fortune to you and looking forward to more progress pictures and the final product! You are one hard working man, Joe!

Joe Camper
08-05-2021, 06:31 PM

A good bit of production for any one guy by lunch.

After lunch By myself again.

The embeded structure stiffners lined up between the top of the back wall and the cap turned around. I can glass that back togeather and it will be 1 strong piece.

In my opinion from the back right now it looks, its not in perportion, its TOO tall. Im adding raising the deck about 6 in then im embelishing it with gothic ornamental iron work around the top maybe 6 or 8in hanging down from the canopy and a 36 in high railing of the same around the deck. Might put a couple 1ft or so vertical pieces top to bottom on the sides. Once i wrap decorative iron all the way around back there it aint gonna be goin anywhere.

Made a couple first downs today.

Joe Camper
08-05-2021, 07:26 PM

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. and simple. i want it.

Todays Feature Rig. All of the trucks pictured up to now and including this one have yellow engines only. I will never photograph anything but.

Notice how the air bags r plummed with 1/4in

Gil_J
08-06-2021, 09:37 AM
Joe, 1/4" hoses supplying the suspension bags just means the bags won't be as quick to respond. Of course, the cargo won't mind the ride.

Joe Camper
08-06-2021, 01:59 PM
No footballs on trucks at leaste I never seen one. If I ever get to it i will add them. Gill i think that would be the reason for going with 5/8 & 3/4 line, and as short as physicaly possible. U got air bag ping tanks and the less restriction between the bag and the tank the better the function.

Prevo suspension taking on air is no quicker with the bigger lines buba, thats to facilitate the footbalks ping tanks for that extra softness. Prevo
suspension air is restricted way back going through the norgren spool. The volume of air that can pass through a norgren prob aint much different than a 1/4 in line.

The lines feeding the norgren from the ride height and level low r only 3/8 and then its gotta get past them dern spools.

I suppose if truckers were allowed to be all overweight on the axles like u guys all r then possibly then suspension fed by 1/4 in line might come up a tic slower.

Any semi tandum configuration is limited to 34000 lb with neither of either axle ever allowed to have more than 17,000lb

Gil_J
08-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Joe,

You are sounding like the American P owner might have ride envy over us Canadian P owners ;-)

Joe Camper
08-08-2021, 12:27 AM
Hey man peterbilt a prevo it isint. U guys aslo get spoiled by 50 years of parts still available.

Found this gate today I love it. It would provide almost all i want for the back if i cut it up. Still looking.

Joe Camper
08-09-2021, 02:55 PM

This is the 2 weeks since Istarted demo on the old camper.

Good progress fer 1 old guy eh!

I more wall and a roof WOHO

Joe Camper
08-09-2021, 03:03 PM

Cut some but not all of either piece of hat channel to overlap them. Im getting all the aluminum but joints of the wall framing welded in.

Strong and light

Lot a drillin goin on ova here

My little coop

Fratto
08-09-2021, 04:05 PM
You are crushing it!

BGLogistics
08-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Looking good Joe!!

Joe Camper
08-09-2021, 07:25 PM
Nothing to delaminate and it aint gonna flex much.. need to get the fridge up there tomorrow. Im hoping to be roofing it this weekend. Been savin all the recipts.

Joe Camper
08-10-2021, 09:17 PM

This could be the only back porch attatched to a peterbilt known to man.

Old style paint scheme

Ck2hans
08-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Joe:

Where is the cocktail table in the back porch picture?

Chuck

Fredo
08-11-2021, 09:55 PM
joe you have a hell of imagination
Fredo

Joe Camper
08-13-2021, 09:28 AM
Thank u Fredo. Ive been copying quite a bit.

Lots of back porches out there cant believe nobody ever attatched one to a Peterbilt.

Do an image search for unique RVs or Housetrucks

Not something that would resemble the sticks and staples the industry produces.

Hand crafted.

Im opening my 3rd box of 1000 rivits and thank God it will be the last.

What is the absolute most R factor u could pack into a 1 in wall. Im going to start with sound deadning and the ceramic paint. If this would be adiquate? i could completly eliminate the nessessity for a wood frame structure on the exterior walls. Cost time and weight would all benefit.

I could easily test the design ill be prob sleepin on the floor for the first few trips.

Joe Camper
08-17-2021, 09:38 PM
Been a very productive week.

Ive got the wall framing all welded in. Most of the windows in.

Got the roof truses cut and fit and decked.

Put some brakes in aluminum and fitted the roof radius.

This was 3 weeks ago today.

Almost a finished shell tonight!! I rhink it looks a little naked at this point but the preportions r very good.

Fratto
08-17-2021, 10:39 PM
This is awesome. You rock

Gil_J
08-17-2021, 10:57 PM
Great work Joe!

RPSHOP
08-18-2021, 08:08 PM
Looking good Joe..............you da man.

pierrem53
08-18-2021, 09:31 PM
This is an authentic Joe conversion....love it.

Dockholiday
08-18-2021, 09:45 PM
It really looks fantastic - the lines work perfectly with the truck. Great vision -

WinterStorm
08-18-2021, 10:21 PM
Lov’in the back porch! Now that will be a conversation piece for other drivers seeing your rig going down the road! Very original (or, at least the 1st I’ve seen?). You move fast…especially considering you are doing this all by yourself! Can’t wait to see the interior! Really nice work, Joe.

Joe Camper
08-19-2021, 08:41 AM
Ya know how when u watch a marathon and as a person gets past the finish line they collaps. Thats me today. I made it and im all spent up.

The rest will probably take 3 years and that sits just fine with me.

Imagine an outdoor shower under the awning out back move the chair away come back with a towel and bar of soap.

The current back deck is overbuilt and very very heavy and also could stand small dimension mods. Iron railings r also very heavy. I decided when the railings come ill tear off that exzisting platform for a new thats considerably lighter and the deck will be a tad higher creating bigger compartments underneeth as well as offsetting the additional weight of the railings a win win all the way around.

I need to go jell out for a few days im mentally and physically spent.

norm45
08-19-2021, 04:43 PM
that is cool nice job

Joe Camper
08-19-2021, 08:28 PM
Someone has given this thread a 1 star rating, that would define it as a "terrible" thread rating. I am always open to constructive critisizm. So im curious as to what exactly it is that drew that rating from whoever it was that gave it?

Didnt even know u could do that. Took me a while to find the tab for that. If u go up to the top of this page there is a rate this thread tab.

My feelings is hurt but more important If this non bus thread is inproper on a bus forum i would like to know and i will stop. Please rate this thread so i know. Thank u.

WinterStorm
08-19-2021, 09:28 PM
Keep going, Joe! The knowledge, incredible service, friendship and creativity you bring to this site are Priceless. Too many have benefited from your help over so many years.
Never even noticed the “Rate this Thread” option - until you pointed it out! Maybe someone fat fingered it by mistake?
Nothing wrong with your commentary!

Dockholiday
08-19-2021, 09:47 PM
I didn’t know you could rate a thread either, but I’ll learn how and put my 5 stars on it. Just so you know this has been a hoot to watch and I couldn’t give two craps whether this was specific to a Prevost or not. I’d be very disappointed if you decided not to share this project or any others you can come up with. Your talent teaches us things we can take back to our personal rv’s without fail. Thank you!

Ck2hans
08-20-2021, 08:46 AM
I second Greg & Dockholiday input.
5 Star rating
Chuck

Joe Camper
08-20-2021, 09:41 AM
Its all good im having fun. LOL

I took it home. Be in Auburn Hills Mi. first thing monday morn and down to Bill Johnsons in Ky. by the end of the week on her maiden voyage and ill definatly be ruffin it. Who was that that rated me one star? Im sorry please forgive me.

This thread rate thingy hmmmmm could turn into something very interesting.

Rally is getting close poggers r in motion I can feel it in the air. Hope everybody going has a great time. Gettin out and and makin smoke. Slow down, get on some 2 lane, enjoy the moment.

Fratto
08-21-2021, 12:48 PM
If I could vote twice for 10 stars I would!

Joe Camper
08-21-2021, 05:12 PM
My head is swolen. It feels very nice.

georgiapeachinc
08-22-2021, 10:57 AM
You are a good guy Joe! I personally like to see your innovation, be it a Truck or coach in constructing things. Many of your ideas and projects are seeds for the rest of us! My father once said and he said many one liners. "Good guys, there are only a few of us left". I will add, I don't think that thought excluded women.

Joe Camper
08-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Did u ever identify all the auto tag lift components and the switch. Did u find the switch that turns it on???

I finished the current roof sufficiantly. It is 2 layers of 1/4 ply going different directions with the top edge of the radius between. Seam sealer tape and hy-tech ceramic roof coat. 1 primer coat 2 bus coat coats.

I wholehartidly endorse this product. If u intend on doing your roof the clear coat is currently on backorder and unavalable.

The bus coat is like the stuff the can of liquid rubber u dip tool handles in to coat them. Then its got the ceramic talc to sweeten the pie. Good stuff. Think i got just enough left to do the trailer.

Joe Camper
09-07-2021, 10:52 PM
Ive progressed into ruffin it mode.

Bed

Inverter

Fridge

Satalite TV

Air conditioning

Period.

Ill be finishing structure, adding in a few spots and also to add back door 3 more windows and a few smaller hatches above the floor line before shooting the inside with undercoat followed by high density pink ill tape the seams and paint that with ceramic bus cote. Then the walls can begin then electric then plumbing. Then ?????

My manual zip dee awnings r ordered and will pick them up at the factory in elk grove village when i get back home at the end of the month. 15 ft patio, 1 6 ft & 1 4ft for the drivers side. tax, no install, 2900 bucks, black canvas, should look good.

So im out ruffin it in N.C. and look what came yodalin up the canyon.

A friend in Fl. Howard who is an ex prevo owner has decided he had to copy me and he has sucessfully got himself one mac daddy camper. Im flying to Bangor Maine thursdsy morning and driving it down to him in florida. Im wondering
how many guys in a million ever get the chance to get behind the wheel of a rig like this.

Now we r 2. HeHeHeHe

Its gonna be a great few days. I wonder if i can find my way down there ok??? Do u think he would notice if i traded his stacks and visor for mine?

The doors have been suicided. There is over 100g in recipts in accessories and the labor it took to install them all.

I wont paint mine orange and i wont have all the lights but THAT IS THE LOOK BOYS. 1 other thing im doing different but i aint sayen for not wanting to get coppied.

Pete and Cat. What do they call them buses u guys got? I forget.

Hoffman
09-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Now why would he do suicide doors, other than just to be different?
Sure is a beauty.

Fratto
09-08-2021, 12:09 PM
That is one sweet ride! I bet you have fun delivering it.

Joe Camper
09-11-2021, 11:27 AM

Shes in the big hole but havent made the split to O.D. yet, got 1 gear left.

Yuall get u some a this!

Fratto
09-11-2021, 02:57 PM
Holy smoke ... this is so awesome! Thanks again for sharing this, it makes my day

Joe Camper
09-11-2021, 07:21 PM
Ive named her first i though the Enterprise but no shes Orange Crush.

What a completly different animal than mine its a Pete with a Cat and the simalarities about stops right there.

Ck2hans
09-12-2021, 08:13 AM
Joe:
send some pictures of the living area
Chuck

Joe Camper
09-12-2021, 09:11 AM

12 volt 4000w (just one) all that it powers is fridge tv and outlets.

Here is the generator remote start its a Powertech with none other than a Cat motor

The 2 roof airs thermostats and the remote for the auxilarry hvac for the house off the engine to augment the dash air. Does a good job keeps up fine no need for roof air while driving.

This is a road truck discuised as an RV.

Pipeliner Prevost
09-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Hello Joe,
This is Rick from Alberta. Pipeliner Prevost is my POG Handle.
Joe, I have wondered for years as to where these guys dump their Grey and Black water. Is it simply at the Flyin Hook RV Dumps? Or elsewhere?
I gotta tell ya that is one FINE Large Car my friend, real cool ride.
Thank ya there Driver, catcha on the flip flop comon!
Rick Clarke
Andrew AB.
Pipeliner Prevost.

Joe Camper
09-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Rick this one has a 3rd fuel tank that is used for the black tank. A suprising thing to me was they simply took the black plastic guiliteen type dump valve with the t handle and 4 bolt flange we all have and drilled a 3 in hole in the bottom of the end of that tank threaded 4 holes right into the tank, the wall thickness is sufficiant enough to create a sfficiant amout of threads, then they put studs in the holes and slapped the dump valve right up there and tightened it down with nuts no different than any other deal. Knowing this makes my life easier. Never would have figured u could get away with that.

This plumbing originally had no way to capture grey water but thats easily plummed into the black with bypass at leaste on this floorplan it was. Id be really suprised if some had no holding tanks that cant be.

Nother thing i was looking at was how they supported the camper on air like they do the bunks mine is not on air. Well they have added 3 more identical airbags inside the frame rails like the exzisting normal 2 they mount outside the rails for a total of 5 all lined up in a line across the back and it was a non issue on my ride down and it was very soft.

Ill copy both these things.

I told Howard to keep it long enough for me to get mine done and we will trade for a few weeks every now and then.

Rick imagine the throttle responce bobtailing ( well almost, the tractor weighs 32,000) with a 600 + hp cat motor. That was how these 1800 miles just went by! If u matt it at 80 it pulls just as hard as if u were matted at 60. It steamrolls right to 2000 rpm in EVERY gear. Traffic disposal at its finest.

Who will be next???

Pipeliner Prevost
09-14-2021, 11:24 AM
Copy all that Joe. Thanks for the response.
Rick.
Pipeliner Prevost.

Pipeliner Prevost
09-14-2021, 11:27 AM
Ya Joe, probably pretty hard to keep the Speed down through Jersey with a ride like that.
That is absolutely an East Coast Large Car. Who's he got that on with? Reliable, Horseless Carriage or what?

Joe Camper
09-14-2021, 09:06 PM
No the prior owner a 1 truck indipendent was leased on with Ferrarri to move around the vintage road race cars. He did it for over 10 years. Ive seen him at V.I.R. and Road Atlanta. When howard first sent the pics and told me to book a flight and go get it i was quite flabergasted Ive drooled over it many prior times.

Here is the trailer a 53 ft 5 car. He would not split the pair up. Howard can use the trailer for large equip with work so he comfotably bought them both. There were quite a few offers for the tractor alone.

That second picture thats old I took that 3 or 4 years ago at the track.

I left the trailer in Maine for loose odds and ends. He had them pull the 5 th wheel and it had a Fl. rv tag already on it when i got there. Does it get any better?

He is going to extend the frame rails build a platform for a pu at minimum possibly box that in and make a toy hauler.

Im going to have to make damn well sure going forward to give it a good hard test drive to be sure my work was good when im doing things.

Id be suprised if there were more than 1 or 2 similar rigs out there. Howard will treat it like his Prevo plans r already moving forward. Its going to enjoy a very comfotable semiretirement no pun intended. Unless he hurts it learning how to shift all over again. I had a very easy time with it and was really comfortable with it but i only had it for 2000 miles lots of room for improvment. Took 2 years or so for me and my transmission to really bond given more time id be dancing just as well with it. id honestly define my trip as gracefully expedient.

Mines a way better all around camper finished but Id trade him. I would make the sacrafice.

We need to figure out how to get the tractor to bend in the middle.

Pipeliner Prevost
09-15-2021, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the response on that Rig Joe. Ya it's pretty impressive. Being originally from New Brunswick, I ran I 95 steady through Maine to NY City bringing Lobster and various Seafood to Hunts Point Market. You and me know what traffic is my friend. Usually off load at Hunts Point and reload in Elizabeth NJ for the flip flop. I enjoy living in Western Canada now, light traffic and nobody tryin to rob you at nite like the Truck Stops in and around Gary In. Changed careers years ago when Truckin was still cool and we looked out for one another. Joe, does anyone out there still flash the lights when a guy passes?? I dont see that like we used to....a fading show of respect for other Drivers I guess.
Oh well a page of my past, I loved it man.
Pipelining is my career now, layin Pipe to carry Natural Gas and Crude all over Canada and to the US. Still looking for a Prevost to stay in at my various work locations and vacation with Penny in AZ. When I roll in with that shiney thing, them ol Pipeliners are gonna look hard at that. Search goes on Joe!
Upon finding a winner I will contact Gil to meet me where I find it and have a thorough Inspection done. If it is around the Windy, I will definitely reach out to you. I want to see what you've done to that 377. I had my own 359 for years and years.
Thanks for the Truckin memories Joe, we have to meet.
Thanks Driver, appreciate the come back.

truxton
09-19-2021, 09:46 PM
Happy Birthday Poluka!!

Later
bv

Dockholiday
09-19-2021, 10:08 PM
That’s one crazy ride - bad to the bone!

Joe Camper
10-01-2021, 08:43 AM

Today is a big day. My awnings r just as importent to me as anything!!!! Woho

Those zip dee folding chairs everybody gots.... 600 lewbucks set of 4

Joe Camper
10-02-2021, 09:38 AM

Never knew there were rivits with a foam ring like this. Hmmmmmm.Im going to have to find out where these come from. Very nice.

Gil_J
10-02-2021, 10:25 AM
ZipDee has never sent me rivets with rubber seals before.

Joe Camper
10-02-2021, 01:29 PM
They mabye r improving product they refer to them in instructions as self sealing blind rivits provided.

Bam. First time ive ever mounted these they were simple.

See how much damage i can do on the patio awning on the pass. side after lunch. At this point im not confident i can get it myself but im going to try im going to start and see how far I go.

There was a pogger lived in Florida with Marathon #0533 a very very unique cool bus. Anybody know of the whereabouts of 0533??

Joe Camper
10-02-2021, 01:47 PM
Www.mtncoppercreations.com

My counters and smaller shelves and tables try to work in couple different shades. There be no square corners. On anything.

Www.Globuscork.com

The floor

Copper and Cork

My head is exploding.

Im going to opp for shelving in place of cabinatry eveywher i can and it looks right. Still done to a cabinate grade finish just loose a bunch of doors. Doors r just in the way and dead weight and more time and money. Ill come up with an edge hear and a rail there. To keep things put. A few pieces of furnature im using r getting anchored to the floor with brass chain and eyelets.

The cork and the copper goes anywhere and everywhere ceiling floor walls. Maybe a coffered ceiling of cork in the back???

Could not imagine doing this having to compramise with somebody else on the choices. How great for me.

Joe Camper
10-02-2021, 02:15 PM
Whos got Maraton #0533 help me find it ineed some pictures of the inside to refresh my memory. It was unique and cool everywhere. I want to study it.

He was from Jupiter Fl. The pogger with it. Who was that ????

Joe Camper
10-03-2021, 02:25 PM

The process of getting the patio awning up.

First to look for help whithout success.Then, place awning on minivan, climb on minivan roof, move awning to trailer roof, pull right up next to the trailer with the camper, climb on the traler roof, pick up the awning and slide it in the groove attatched to the camper.

I think that makes me very groovy today. I am 1 macdaddy groovin mofo.

This also falls under the catigory where there is a will there is a way.

Lifes little pleasures

Few more hatches a back door couple more windows and i can start on the inside

Dockholiday
10-03-2021, 10:39 PM
She’s lookin’ sexy Joe - crazy nice!

Ck2hans
10-04-2021, 07:24 AM
Joe:
Looking good, excited to see the back porch railing go on.
Chuck

Fratto
10-04-2021, 09:46 AM
I love your ingenuity! You remind me a lot of my Dad :-)

Joe Camper
10-23-2021, 04:29 PM

I found this old ice box and i absolutly love it.

Is it possible to electrify and refrigerate an old ice box like this and who could do it?

I have a propaine fridge of the same configuration freezer on top, and dimension real close if i cut the back walls out of both and swapped them that would work wouldnt it??

Look how nice these would go togeather.

Ck2hans
10-24-2021, 09:30 AM
Man they just don’t make things like they used to. The fridge is a piece of artwork.
Couch is nice for Gracie where you going to sit? LOL
Chuck

Fratto
10-25-2021, 11:38 AM
Could you adapt one of the marine cold plate systems?

TerryCurtis
11-02-2021, 10:42 AM
After you're done with the camper, this should be your winter ride for the Keys.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17936&stc=1

Fratto
11-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Ha! This is awesome. Where do they get those toys?!

Joe Camper
11-07-2021, 07:24 PM

Remember Orange Crush the traffic disposal machine?

Howards been buisy

Clever

Joe Camper
11-12-2021, 08:57 AM

Get a load of this. This should aid traction in the snow. Hes painting it to match. I thought he might back it on it would look and be more streamline.

Yall know we r now 4 and aproaching 5 pete owners and if Loc wouldnt a sold his we would be 6.

Hungry Billy has a 379

Pier just bought a 359

Jeff St Aubin is seriously considering a Kingsly

Howard has the orange crush and me with old yeller.

Who will be next??

Joe Camper
11-15-2021, 10:06 AM

Ok Stupid Question

I went and picked up the vintage ice box im going to electrify and use in the camper.

I assumed it probably weighed about the same as a simalarly sized dresser. It is about as heavy a a simalarly sized safe unreal heavy.

Its wood contrruction. What the hell is in the walls?? Soapstone? 20 deep 40 wide up to my armpits its easily 100 lb plus!

All the how to videos r in regards to its wood finish restoration end of it.

Joe Camper
11-21-2021, 01:45 PM

I found the perfect Guest house.

Ck2hans
11-22-2021, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't even have to lock the doors at night ;)
Chuck

Joe Camper
11-23-2021, 04:21 PM

Im gonna like this visor.

Was able to keep the stock visor can use either or both.

The overhead council facilitated it perfect.

Tucks up out of the way easy and in a good spot. This is some good stuff here.

Ill have old yellers nose pointed south and makin smoke tomorrow. I want to wish everybody else moving around this weekend for a safe and memorable Thanksgiving.

Pipeliner Prevost
11-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Joe, It's Pipieliner Prevost Rick from Alberta.
Can you Post some pics of your friends 359 please?
I had one when they were the ultimate Owner Operator Truck. Is the 359 an Extended Hood? Which is even cooler.
Sounds like yer headin to the Bikini State there Driver. South Bound on the Super Slab there Dave Dudley.

Joe Camper
11-23-2021, 06:22 PM
Hes a pogger. Its Pierrem53 from P.A.

Ill get him to send me some.

Chicago to Islamirada 1450 miles.

ill use 57 to 24 to get to nashville. The more conventional route I 65 is crowded, rough and takes u through Gary Indy Louiville. 57 has no big towns smooth and way less traveled. Gps has it at 10 min. longer well worth it.

From Nashville instead of 24 to 75 and Chattanoga and Atlanta ill go 65 south from Nashville to Rt. 231 at Monrgomery and cut across southeast down to I 10 in the fl panhandle.

Then instead of 10 east to 75 south ill cut the corner of that off and take US 27 down to Ocalla another fantastic bit of road. Old 41 from Naples to Homestead yet another fantastic piece of asphault.

Usually about Naples Gracy sits up and catches her first snootfull of salt air.

Hey Richard Hungry Billy has a 379. If hed ever pull it out and let it see the light of day and wash it he might put up a picture of his. Poor thing. U know what he did. He tricked me. He invited me to his house and offered to help switch rear end gears when i went to 3.08. So then he goes and takes what he learned and swapped his out for 2.70s or some crazy tall ratio in the 2s.

Rrrrrrrrrrr. Should have went taller. 1400 rpm at 80mph is where i want to land in O.D. Ill get there.

Brama. BEAUTIFUL creatures. Their coats look like they get groomed.

Loc had the nice blue 379 with a 6NZ Cat and he went and sold it. Last year March while i self quarrenteened at his ranch in Gonzallas Tx. I was using it for a grocery getter. I was livin in one gettin groceries in another. Spoiled the hell out of the animals with bags and bags of treats they loved me. Where u gonna get culture better than this.

Here is Pier with his 359. Looks like he already put new stacks and air cleaners on it.

Norm has a really nice Pete Wrecker I need to rattle his cage for a picture cant leave him out. Jarhead...dont want to piss him off never know what he might do.

Pipeliner Prevost
11-24-2021, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the git back Joe.
Yup, I ran that same Route you're taking to get to the Bikini plenty.
That 359 you pictured is exactly what I had for a long time. Looks like a Short Hood. Still a very cool ride. Mine was an 87, last year of the five nines before Denton started on the 379s. Mine had the square 359 headlights. Looks like ol Pier went with lights off a 379. Is it the blue Pete with the rear ratio in the 2s? I thought I was doing good with 3:55s man.
Have a good trip on the Southbound there Driver.
Pipeliner Prevost Rick.

Joe Camper
11-24-2021, 02:14 PM
No those gears r on hungry billys his is way to burried in dust to get a picture of it.

Joe Camper
11-28-2021, 06:02 PM

If your bus has one of these U have a whole bunch of COOL. Da Ralph Cramdin handle.

A V-8 2 stroke turned on its side mounted transverse and hooked to a righthand V-Drive.

I love the gloss white engine. They paint CAT motors white in boats and i love that if i ever get closer to done with mine im gonna do that.

If i had a place to put it inside id buy it even not needing it. She goes good. U should see the inside original no wear its a time capsule id change nothing . Tweed fabric and carpet and all. Look at that beautiful white engine.Dats Da Shit right there.

BGLogistics
11-28-2021, 06:53 PM
Best I can do at the moment. Gear swap was from 3.70’s to 2.64’s. Longest legs I could put in these housings.http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18057&stc=1http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18058&stc=1http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18055&stc=1http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18059&stc=1

Joe Camper
11-28-2021, 06:56 PM
And what gears did u put???? 2.64s. U suck. Looks like its still burried in the garage being punished for no good reason.

BGLogistics
11-28-2021, 06:58 PM
Not sure why pics repeated. Disappeared during posting so reloaded and now multiples. Technology is not my friend.

Joe Camper
12-28-2021, 01:05 PM
Put another upgrade behind me. The old girl is looking more and more proper.

Dash and instrumentation.

I'm adding another 10 gauges to what's already there. 3 more on the left 3 more center and 4 more right.

First the left panel. I canableized a second center panel for it's 4 smaller holes that I ten used to replace the big hole the original pyromiter occupied in that left panel I've "hand fitted". That's right, hand fitted. LOL

Those 4 holes will be volts and amps chassis top and volts and amps camper bottom.

Joe Camper
12-28-2021, 01:10 PM

The center panel will be less work. I'll add 3 openings across the bottom center for the clock outside temperature and air filter restriction.

The opening created under the speedo were the chassis volts was taken from will house a new fuel pressure gauge.

Joe Camper
12-28-2021, 01:19 PM
(Post started and continued from prior page)

This new right hand panel I undid all of it and switched it out.

First it gave me an additional 2 more switches on both rows and the top 2 I was able to put both my moto mirrors with correct lableing.

It also gave me 4 more gauges here. Original in the center section I had engine oil temp now I add trans and rear end temperature along with suspension pressure and the empty gets a new smaller pyromiter. There is room for 2 more on the bottom but I'll be damned if I know what that might be? Open to suggestions. I know Norm would like to see an aux trans temp gauge. Then I'd have to add one.

These were and now not applicable cruise control stuff.

I'm going to make them aux generator start.

Top is on off and running indicator light.

Bottom 2 r both momentary switches left one will make a good start and run. Right one spare to be determined.

The air toggle for the 5th wheel...hmmmmm what can I make of that??? Ejection seat? Dog bisket dispenser? Taking suggestions.

I was able to remove and rearrange the labels above the switches to correct locations. However the fiber-optic style light source even when new left much to be desired and is even weaker now.

My solution is to put 2 or 3 of these above the switches. Friggin led though and I'd like do be able to dim them . But analog panel lights like these should look right I'll black them out to match everything else and I'll actually be able to easily read them in the dark. Imagine that. Exciting.Lifes simple pleasures. I don't want them noticed I want it to seem original. I'm not putting any chrome on the dash either maybe a couple more switch extenders but I don't need more the ones I put and where I put them were with reason if I embellish the others it will be with short extensions to keep the difference in length between them.

Joe Camper
12-28-2021, 01:30 PM

I enjoy the convenience of the fact that peterbilt put the exact same wire loom into every 379 series chassis ever produced regardless of how many options u took or how long the chassis was. Every truck got the complete loom. If u ever noticed how Pete wiring loom for the bobtail lights often is over length a bunch and all gathered up with zip ties in 1 spot? That's because the all looms r built exactly the same and need to fit the longest wheelbases.

All I have to do is unravel and untangle and clean identify wire numbers clearly marked every 4 inches and plug in. I'll still need to get a couple sending units and bam. It's to a large degree plug and play to add these things. Even all the gauge bulb receplicals r there just lying for 30 yrs. Big dusty mess. It will be clean when I'm done.

This change was a big deal. She deserved it.

Final shots will be months. The gauges I'm adding could be a grand and more and my wrecker yard back home is full of old stuff prob 3/4 the gauges I need I can put for literally pennies on the dollar. Every buck I save can be put towards chrome. That's next with the back porch embellishments and all my basement compartment hatches. That's this year's goals. Might need 20 g for chrome we will see.

Ck2hans
12-28-2021, 06:56 PM
Joe:
I vote for a dog biscuit dispenser for Gracy.
Chuck

MusicianTrader
12-29-2021, 12:23 PM
There is an XL in California that Andrew Steel Checked out. Guy still has it listed in FB market place for 35k. The bus needs to be condemned...had a genset fire that damaged the wiring into the bays.
I will find the link and post it for ya...maybe you can get him to part with it for pennies on the dollar

Joe Camper
12-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Persheate tat Patrick but I don't think I'll need to do that. If it were a lot closer I'd prob go look see who and what never know. California is a bit to far.

Beyond specific bits and pieces on final finishes I got a good idea in my head what the interior will be. What I have in my head I've never seen in a bus. Although final finishes and details r still unknown I'm sure as I get into the interior construction that will present itself at some point along the way.

Joe Camper
02-05-2022, 11:57 AM

Found some items for the back porch. The lanterns will make clearence and back up lamps. The mangrove raughiron and lanterns is exactly the look I'm after.

1990prevost
02-06-2022, 01:25 AM
hello, i really enjoyed the journey of your post. I read all from the beginning tonight. it was something I thought about doing for years. in a previous life I had a small fleet of 1986 359's which I traded in for 1991 379's. never got over the love of my 359's and how well they treated me. always wanted to take a 359 and turn it into a motorhome. I had a shop in Fairbanks, ak. and did off road fuel hauling, mine equipment moves, and heavy hauling. we were the original ice road truckers before there was a tv show, or blond drivers. probably would have made more money as a tv actor, but not had as much fun. longest I ever was stuck was 9 days in a snow drift at 50 below zero. good thing I fitted our trucks with 500 gallons of fuel. we are on our 3rd bus now in 24 years. 65 mci5, 90 prevost marathon and currently in a 2000 prevost country coach. ( we are bus "snobs" and have to keep the rivets). I have considered myself a somewhat talented person, but I take my hat off to you. I would say your are a master craftsman. we have been 3.5 years full timing in our country coach, and loving the lifestyle. someday we may cross paths and I would be happy to buy you a meal and listen to your adventures. we spend part of the winters north of fort meyers and might see you driving by. you have a unique ride. keep- up the posts. I can't wait to hear more.

Joe Camper
02-06-2022, 07:42 AM
Hey Paul I'll be in Naples working on the Orange crush in March prob be there 5 or 6 days I'd love to meet u.

Come for an afternoon we will take it out for a sniff.

U must have been very fond of your 90 Marathon to use it for your member name and currently be in a 2000.

Master Craftsman LOL. Look closer.

Joe Camper
03-09-2022, 07:50 AM

I'm back rubbin on my only stepchild The ORANGE CRUSH. Giving her some good lovin.

Look at the date codes for front sevice brake diaphrams they sold us for this 2006 chassis.

1988 and 2002. This parts place been here a long long time!!

Telltail. Many many many #24front brake service diaphrams on trucks out there with millions and millions of miles on them. If the transportation industry services their fleets the way u guys service these buses would these old parts be sitting here?

This community should be commended for this. U r like no other group of people.

Joe Camper
03-09-2022, 09:28 AM

When caging a maxi to either clock It correctly or to change out the service brake diaphrams first u cage the main spring with the tool.

Then unless u want to fight it going back in u also need to grab the clevis and pull it collapsing the service brake spring and clamping the pushrod with vice grips.

The 2 halves need to be rotated or "clocked this is how. From this point u loosen the 2 halves and spin it. Note where they tightens those halves before u loosen them so u can replace it similarly.

18257[/ATTACCH]

Little before and after

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18258

Upgraded to 1/2 in and put aeroquip 2 piece ends with swivels and the correct 45° adapters.

Good stuff. Looking forward to the test drive!!!

It's for sale again. If it were mine the next guy would be prying my dead hands from it. If I didn't have to borrow money to get it I'd buy it even if I didn't need it and had to find a place for it. It's already registered as a rv florida. I'd spend time traveling the truck shows for a retirement pass time.

If u want to eliminate 1,000,000 of grime u gotta just jump in. I didn't remove slack adjusters but I sure as hell ain't hooking the new clevis to them dirty. I ain't working too hard the grease is only up to my elbows.

Joe Camper
03-09-2022, 10:13 AM

Back I nut all the way loose and only remove the other one completely.

Bam it falls apart. On the left the service brake return springs u have trapped with the vice grips. Main spring half right.

Turn it line up 3 things the 2 halves and the clamp including the direction of the nuts.

All the right stuff. Beautiful