PDA

View Full Version : Deionized water systems

pognumber26
02-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I have seen a number of integrated deionized bus washing systems in the last couple of weeks...They are expensive,aprx $3500 installed on a Marathon H-3,but seem to do a GREAT job...No drying necessary!! Is anybody using one of these systems?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Hand washing a new coach is a requirement. It is almost an erotic experience climbing up a 14 foot ladder and hand drying that sparkling new finish.

If you want to completely screw up a $30,000 paint job in fairly short order pressure wash it or take it to truck washes. A soft brush or wash mitt, flooding the surface with fresh clean water and rinsing completely, followed by a drying with soft cotton towels is probably the best way to clean the coach and extend the life of the finish. Not drying a coach regardless of the quality of the water used will leave spots.

After you finish drying it Francis, get back on the ladder and start waxing it. Don't forget to wax the engine.:D

Orren Zook
04-09-2007, 03:09 AM
I saw this on the Costco web site tonight -and- Just in time for POGIII

CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water Filtration System
Spot-free Rinse System;
No Drying Required
$419.99
Item # 180790
Shipping & Handling included *
Qty: 1

Hard water spots can destroy your vehicle’s finish. That’s why CR Spotless Water Systems created a de-ionizing system that takes out all of the minerals in your water so you can just WASH, RINSE, and WALK AWAY! That’s right! With a DIC-20 Spotless Water System™, you can let your car, RV, house windows, etc., air dry with no worries that hard water spots will appear. Say goodbye to towel drying and the scratches that towels and chamois can cause. You can even give your car a quick 5 minute rinse between washes to keep it looking great all the time.

Besides cars, de-ionized water is perfect for washing and SPOT-FREE rinsing of your:

* Cars/trucks
* RVs
* Motorcycles
* Boats
* Golf Cars
* House Windows
* Patio Furniture
* Decks

Package Contents:

* DIC-20 with Dual TDS Meter
* (2) 20” Cartridges Filled with De-Ionizing Resin
* 4’ Inlet Hose (Attaches to Hose Bib)
* Nozzle (7 Pattern Garden Sprayer)
* Roll of Teflon Plumber’s Tape
* Housing Wrench
* Quick Start Guide/Warranty Card
* Bonus: 50’ Garden Hose
* Bonus: (2) Sets Quick Connects
* Bonus: (2) Bags of Resin (R2-20)

Features:

* A water de-ionization system, not a water softener
* Removes all minerals and dissolved solids from the water
* Battery operated, dual TDS meter to monitor the water quality in and out of the system
* Ergonomically designed cart with a padded handle
* Easy to refill resin or replace cartridges when needed
* Seven pattern garden hose nozzle with FLAT setting
* 4’ inlet hose to attach to hose spigot and 50’ garden hose

Benefits:

* Produces 100% pure, mineral-free de-ionized water
* Pure water evaporates without leaving any spots behind
* Know when it’s time to change or refill the cartridges before spots appear
* Take it anywhere… easily rolls and maneuvers with one hand
* No need to send it back for regeneration
* Flat spray pattern restricts water flow and increases pressure
* Everything is supplied even the hoses!

System Requirements:

* Standard Garden Hose Bib
* Need to Restrict Water Flow to 4 Gallons Per Minute or Less with Supplied Nozzle on FLAT Pattern or Optional Pressure Washer

Expected Yield:

Input TDS Level Expected Yield (# of Gallons)
50 ppm 1600 gallons
100 ppm 800 gallons
200 ppm 400 gallons
400 ppm 200 gallons

Shipping & Terms

Standard shipping via common carrier (curbside service) is included in the quoted price. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

An additional Shipping and Handling fee will apply to express shipments. This fee will be quoted at checkout.

Please choose your shipping method at checkout.

*Delivery is available to Alaska and Hawaii. An additional Shipping and Handling fee will apply to shipments going to Alaska or Hawaii. This fee will be quoted at checkout.

Costco.com offers merchandise which complements our warehouse product selection. Therefore, most items available on our web site are unique to costco.com.

Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 400 Costco warehouses worldwide.
[Model 180790/DIC-20]

Ray Davis
04-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Looks like Costco is offering this product at about $30 off of retail. Manufacture website is http://crspotless.com/ and refill resin is about $90. The unit is specified to do 300 gallons of water for that price. I don't have a clue how much would be used in washing a bus.

Kevin E. might know, as he has a deionized system (much larger though!) This looks pretty portable!

MangoMike
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Kevin has tanks similiar in size to those on the Space Shuttle. It will interesting to read his comments.

I'll be posting later tonight my photos on the new Foamer bottle. King of Bling, this is right up your alley.

mm

jack14r
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
i agree with jon that hand washing is the only way to go,but i do use di water for a spotless finish.i have a ro system in my plant and a di system in my shop,both are industrial size from us filter.both systems need an activated carbon filter to remove the chlorine prior to the ro or di,chlorine will destroy either system,so if you want good life out of either system it is important to remove the chlorine.those that have a well are somewhat better off because they don't have any chlorine.the amount of gallons a di will produce is directly related to the quality of the incoming water,i have city water and we average about 125 ppm of dissovled solids,most wells in my part of the country are between 250-400 ppm.my two di tanks are about 4 feet tall,i use them every week for washing cars etc.i checked the quality last week and it was less than 1ppm,i am not sure how long they will last.i don't believe in pressure my bus,but i do believe in washing with di water.di does have a negative,it is so pure it is looking to latch on to anything,untreated surfaces can oxidize quickly,di is very agressive.jack

Jon Wehrenberg
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
If anybody does use a deionized water system and they want to get rid of the chlorine, such as in city water a charcoal filter should do it. I have no idea how many gallons they are good for.

Kevin Erion
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
The 2 tank system I use is good for about 1000 gallons depending on the water going in as already pointed out. I think it takes about 80 to 100 gallons to do a semi tractor and 53' trailer. I would guess including washing the roof about 80 gallons the way I do it, lots of water with a pressure washer.
Kevin

Ray Davis
04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Yow! So at 80 gallons (approx) for a bus wash, you get about 3.75 washes out of a this system, for $90.00. Or about $24 just for water in a bus wash! No wonder my storage site charges $2.00/foot!

I imagine if you skimp a bit on water you can bring that price down a bit, but still that's some expensive water!

jello_jeep
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey Mango, I got one of those foamer bottles, they are cool indeed!

I also used the wash/wax stuff the guy recommended, and I think I should have used a bit less of the wax mix, it left some spots here and there. It went on, kind of looking like milk, but mostly dried clear.

The foamer did reduce a lot of elbow grease in applying the soap for sure though!

I have a small DI tank too, and plan on mounting it in the engine bay, but have not gotten around to it yet...

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-10-2007, 12:15 AM
These are all great questions, and we will get more answers in less than two weeks, at the rally.

We have coming to POG III one of the main companys that created or invented or something like that, One of the Di-Ionized Water systems, to talk just about their products to our group.

Invisible Chamois, out of Ponca City Oklahoma.

http://www.invisiblechamois.com/ictech.htm

Gary S.

Sting
04-10-2007, 02:39 AM
A couple of months ago I posted about CRspotless. We have it and it works! I am a believer in their product. I didnt mind washing the Bus but didnt like drying it. With a deionized system drying is a thing of the past. There are others out there that have a similar product and I am sure they are good, its just that I can personally testify to CRspotless.

mike kerley
04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Cheapest method I've found is the Mr. Clean Car Wash System.

Attach a hose, wash, rinse and spot free rinse. Then use a clean towel to dry what water is left. I get about three washes from a $5.00 filter catridge.

At $20.00, its a bargain.

MangoMike
04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
King of Bling,

I attached a foamer bottle to the end of the power washing wand and foamed away. We discovered later that you could adjust the nozzle to really fan out the foam for better coverage. Foam stays on the bus like shaving cream allowing you to use your soft bristle brush to scrub away.

I'm getting ready to mount the power washer and retractable reel in the bus, will post pixs.

Mangoclean

dalej
04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
We use the On the go business model, its the two tank one. you refill it yourself when the TDS gets somewhere around 10-20. We have had good results with it.

I check our water at home here for TDS and it runs around 350, so that was why we were always fighting spotting.

Here is the link, if you want to check this company out. We have the business model, its not shown on the web.

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/index.htm

I wouldn't get the one on the web site, I would call them and ask them about the different models.

dalej
04-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Mike, how come you didn't include the make and model numbers? That looks like a very nice, Suds Ur Upper!

MangoMike
04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Dale,

You're right, I wasn't living up to my Pogger duties. ;)

www.pressure-washers.com
1 800 463-9274
Rick Stevens

Foamer bottle ran $99, not cheap, but over time I'll think it will save a lot of time in washing the bus.

Thanks to Dave B over at the Stuff site for the heads up on the guys at Pressure-washer.

Will get into more details at a later post on equipment and chemicals.

Mike

dalej
04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Your forgiven Mike, I know that running a bus company keeps you busy.

rfoster
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
: Mango: Nice pixs of the bus. Looks like a nice set up. I am from the old school of hard knocks, Wash, rinse, dry. Looks like if I want to stay over at the Church of Love Bus Parking I will have to get with it and modernize. Looking forward to seeing yall soon in sunny Texas. :cool:

win42
04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
2 cents worth. ! could not resist. In grass Valley CA we get our water from the lakes high in the Sierra. I simply wash the bus with soapy water and brush, then rinse and let air dry. Please do not plan on moving here, we are getting too many Flat Landers moving here. Buy your thingamajigs of choice and leave us alone. :D
P.S. RV Visitors are welcome to stay at our RV Park located at the Nevada County Fairgrounds and enjoy our beautiful area. Plenty of room for busses.

ken&ellen
04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
MM, Nice pictures, but what are you using in the bottle? I went to the website and found a foam bottle, but no mention of solution. Additionally, how long would the foam last in a high heat environment as we have in Savannah? Thanks. Ken

MangoMike
04-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Ken,

Purchase a gallon of TAN Power.

http://www.pressure-washers.com/chemicals.htm

Only fill your foamer bottle about a quarter with tan then top off with water. I used about an 1/2 foamer bottle for the whole bus. It was 60 down here in MB, so don't know about the heat evaporation rate yet.

I also purchase a gallon for RED Power which is the wax. MORE is NOT better. Only fill foamer bottle about 1/8th, then top w/ water.

VERY IMP: Clean foamer bottle with fresh water and using the pump when finished to prevent chemical build up in dispenser head.

Your buddy,

M

jello_jeep
04-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Mango, I was pretty impressed with the tan mix... However the red mix, even mixed at 1/8 was too much. Left milky residue on bus.

If I use it again, I will only use half that amount!

Ray Davis
04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
However the red mix, even mixed at 1/8 was too much. Left milky residue on bus.

I don't know, but the documentation on the manufacturer website says dilute 150-200:1, not 8:1. Sounds like you're using WAY too much chemical?

jello_jeep
04-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, I confess I didn't read the data sheets on the web, the fellow at the store wrote the mix ratios on the bottles with a sharpie before he shipped them, and I used that.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, I confess I didn't read the data sheets on the web, the fellow at the store wrote the mix ratios on the bottles with a sharpie before he shipped them, and I used that.

That's the old salesman's trick.:D :rolleyes: ( sells more product ):eek:

MangoMike
04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Jiggle Jeep,

That was the recommendation from Rick Stevens at Power Washers. His only caution was not to use too much wax. I guess it will come down to trial and error to determine the right mix. We'll have some show and tell at POG III as I have the unit now mounted in the bus.

Mango

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Mango, I was pretty impressed with the tan mix... However the red mix, even mixed at 1/8 was too much. Left milky residue on bus.

If I use it again, I will only use half that amount!

Possibly this is pointing out that all water is not created equal! :confused:
JIM;)

Ray Davis
04-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Just to clarify. The foamer bottle is attached to a pressure washer? Can it be attached to normal hose, or is it only a presure washer? Does it take a special brand? I have a PW, but there's no way to add attachments.

Thanks!

MangoMike
04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Ray,

Mine attaches to the end of the pressure washer wand. My guess is to get that nice shaving foam action you need that 1000lbs of psi to make it happen, otherwise it's going to be like Miracle gro coming out of the garden applicator.

I'm bringing the rig to POG III so we can play around with it (but the demo will not include washing your entire starship bus.) ;)

Mike

jello_jeep
04-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Mango, I have my p/w plumbed and mounted in the engine bay, but have yet to get around to mounting my DI tank, so it is just being carried around at this point.

Did you mount up a DI tank too? Mine will just fit in the engine bay, but will require a custom mount, and will require a lathe larger than mine to do the job..

Couning down to P3 !! Woo hoo~!~

MangoMike
04-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Hello Jello,

No DI tank yet, so you have me one upped. Bring yours to POG III so we all can have a little demo. I would ask Kevin E. to bring his, but I can't afford to have my carpet cleaned. ;)

Mango

Kevin Erion
04-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Carpet is fresh as Roses, glad to report.
Have fun at POGlll
Kevin

MangoMike
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Speed Racer,

Will miss you at POG III.

But I'll be tellin' a few KE stories. ;)

Mango

Kevin Erion
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I was going to start telling stories about the H from san diego but some things are best kept between friends.
Kevin

Jon Wehrenberg
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Since when has anybody in this crowd kept secrets? Did you expect any screw up that anybody did would remain forever hidden?

I don't think so.

Spill the beans.....

Kevin Erion
04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I am under the knife not to talk, and because I am not going to POGlll, I must keep the secret.
It's safe with me Mango!
Kevin

rfoster
04-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Ok Kevin: What's it worth to spill the beans, ya know-- give it up. Is it worth A Bling Ball? How about an LED lite? Worth more than that? Two LED Lites? Name your price and I will pass the plate, at POG3 - We'll miss ya this time around.:cool:

garyde
04-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Ok Mango, fess up! Another Jimmy Buffet moment?