PDA

View Full Version : KVH R6 and Technical Manual

nrhareiner
02-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Good morning everyone,

I have a KVH r6 system installed in RV. Yesterday it started to search for satellite, and never found same. This is new problem. We did have strms, but after they cleared everyone else got reception and I did not. I have tried everything (turning off and disconnecting etc). I also have Motosat with bird on a wire. Reception that way is fine so I know the receiver is working. What I need is the technical manual for the r6, or a link to get same. With that and hyperlink I think I can fix this problem.

Thank you

Kim
02 Vantare XLII S2
06 Dodge mega cab
06 kvh r6 not working

rmboies
02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=nrhareiner;9967]Good morning everyone,

I have a KVH r6 system installed in RV. Yesterday it started to search for satellite, and never found same. This is new problem.
Thank you
Kim

Kim this happened with our KVH system as well in our coach. It would search and search and never find the signal to lock on. Previously it had been working fine. We stopped in Sanford at Featherlite on our way to POGI and their techno geek had to hook up his laptop and download new software into the system to update it. It took about 45 minutes to diagnose the problem and $100.00 It worked fine after that. I have no idea if this is your issue but this is what worked for us.

rbeecher
02-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Kim,

We went through the exact same scenario and then had the software upgrade done by Danny at Featherlite in Sanford as well and it worked but Danny said it might still be touch and go because our in motion system was very old. A month later he replaced it with a Trac Star System which they had never used before and it has been great. Danny went in and replaced the majority of the rest of the entertainment system and wire and cabling as it was a mess, well worth it. Real nice work.

I looked for our old manual but it apparently went out with the old system.

Richard and Barbara Beecher
Ft. Lauderdale
'97 Vogue XL 40

Jerry Winchester
02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Kim,

Our KVH Tracvision system sometimes forgets where it is at when you move the coach for long distances with the sat off. However, it generally boots up after a reasonable amount of time. Or I turn it off and on. Or Rae whacks it with the atlas.

I don't know if you read this, but it was all I could find.

Unit Can't Find Satellite

There are a number of common issues that could explain why your system will not find the satellite.

Satellite signal blocked – Satellite signals can be blocked or degraded by trees and branches, buildings, mountains, overpasses, or equipment on the vehicle or vessel itself. Refer to your owner’s manual, to make certain that the TracVision unit is in the optimal location. Simply moving the vehicle or vessel to clear an external obstruction will also restore signal quality.

Vehicle/vessel turning during startup (In-motion TracVision systems only - excludes S3/S2/SF/SA) – If the vehicle or vessel turns during the 60-second startup and initialization sequence that occurs immediately after turning on the power to the TracVision unit, the antenna gyro will record that variable motion as “standing still.” This may cause the antenna to track improperly. To solve this problem, turn TracVision off for at least 10 seconds. Turn the system back on, making certain that the vehicle or vessel is either motionless or traveling in a straight line for the 60 seconds immediately following power-up.

Incorrect or loose RF connections – As part of preventive maintenance KVH recommends checking the antenna unit cable connections. A loose RF connector can reduce signal quality. In addition, if you are able to switch to the other programmed satellite, make sure you have connected your RF signal cable to the antenna baseplate connector labeled “RF1”.Please refer to the "Connecting the Antenna RF Signal Cable to the IRD" section of your owner’s manual for more information.

Type of multiswitch used (North American systems only) – An active multiswitch must always be used to connect the TracVision system to multiple IRDs. Refer to the "Connecting the Antenna RF Signal Cable to the IRD" section of your owner’s manual for directions on proper multiswitch/multiple IRD cabling.

IRD faulty – In the case of a faulty IRD, refer to your IRD user manual for service, replacement, and warranty information.

nrhareiner
02-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks everyone,

I will head out to the dealer to try the software correction as soon as feasible. This unit is only 2 weeks old at this point. It is actually the second R6 installed. The first had a LNB go out in 3 months.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantarre XLII S@
06 Dodge Megacab

Jon Wehrenberg
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Kim,

This may not be an opinion that will please you, I think it needs to be stated.

We had problems with the KVH. Frequently.

I finally started checking and found the TracStar was the simplest and most reliable. The entertainers are using TracStar almost exclusively because when on the road they just can't take the time to mess with repairs.

It has been on the coach now for about 15 months and there is no comparison to the KVH. It locks on within seconds, and has worked perfectly, something I could not say about the other one.

Jon

nrhareiner
02-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Hello Jon,

I agree with you. Only problem is that at this point I am still under Lazy Days warrenty. They will replace but not change. I know it is not understandable since this will be the tird unit. I much prefer the Tracstar.

I hope to see you and the "Green Bus" at POG III

Kim

Jon Wehrenberg
02-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Kim,

Looking forward to it. Look for my post about Headhunter toilets and valves.

Jon

dale farley
02-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Jon,

I have a KVH TracVision LM in my bus that I cannot get to work with my Direct TV receiver. Since you previously had a KVH that performed unsatisfactorily, do you think the KVH so unstable that I should not pursue trying to get it working?

garyde
02-05-2007, 11:11 PM
So far, no problem with mine. Gary

dale farley
02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Gary, What type receiver are you using?

nrhareiner
02-06-2007, 05:04 AM
I have had other KH products that worked well. However, none worked as well as tracstar.

Kim
02 Vantare XLII S@
06 Dodge megacab
KVH for now

Jon Wehrenberg
02-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Dale,

I am no expert, but after going through all of the computer diagnosis and being told the receiver was bad I changed receivers and it still did not work. So being dumb I decided to revert back to basics. My wife watched the signal strength on the TV and I manually moved the dish until it peaked.

Then we turned on a TV channel and got a good picture and sound. The dish electronics puked and did not know when the dish had a good signal. From that point I removed the dish and went with TracStar. When the gurus with computer diagnostics don't know what they are doing it was obvious I would get more frustrated.

nrhareiner
02-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Good morning everyone,

Well just a final )I hope) update on the R6. Went to the dealer yesterday. I was told the problem was software. So, burned another copy of the firmware. Did no good. Then attached cable from another bus that had R6 on board. Got locked on immediately. They put another (now 3) dish on and working great for now. I have already told them that if problem returns need another type of dish. Will update if anything changes.

Thanks for all of the info and help.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare XLII S2
2006 Dodge megacab
working R6 for now

Jon Wehrenberg
02-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Kim, sounds like your gurus are as talented as mine were. Good luck with the fix. I see a TracStar in your future.

garyde
02-07-2007, 11:38 PM
:D
Gary, What type receiver are you using?

Its a KVH Industries' TracVision L3 with two Direct TV recievers. I leave the Tracking switch off when stationary after fixing on a signal.

nrhareiner
02-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Good morning everyone,

Yesterday I finally got to someone at KVH who either has the knowledge, or waswillingto tell me the truth. KVH knows there is a problem with the R6 and multiple receivers. They have found that with the "destacker" in line (necessary with multiple receivers) that the voltage seen atthe dome is too low, causing failures.

I am told that the fix will be available by 3/1/2007.

More to come in the future if anything changes.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare XLII S2
06 Dodge megacab
R6 working for now