PDA

View Full Version : Want to Buy: Need Tag Axle Cover & Drive Axle Cover

Matt_in_AZ
05-17-2016, 10:17 PM
New owner here. I bought a 1997 Marathon (Coach 450) last month. New tires installed the day before delivery (by others). First cross-country trip to Indiana from Arizona this weekend resulted in losing (2) covers:

The "Peanut" style Tag Axle Hub/Lug Nut Cover
The 1/2" tall by 6" wide "cap" for the Drive Axle Dually (the rest of the "top hat" and "peanut" cover is in tact)

I had no idea how these were secured or that they could potentially fall off on the first trip. As soon as I discovered them I walked around the coach and discovered the (2) front steer wheels were missing several of their screws (one held only by one screw). I removed those for safe keeping.

I haven't called Marathon but I did call the consignment dealer who managed the sale and had the tires installed for the previous owner by a third party.

At this point I would entertain offers from someone with one good steer or tag axle cover and the top hat only (or the entire assembly) for the dual wheel. Anyone have any surplus parts?

Joe Camper
05-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Matt sorry to hear that. I responded to a similar post just before reading yours that would be pertinent to your post.

I recall 1 of the St. Louis rally attendees removing the entire set from his bus and going with simpler stuff. I bet with some investigation we might figure out who that was.

Go over to Kens post and take a real close look at that bracket. Yours is different isn't it? Just slightly so look close. If yours r 2 piece your tabs with the screw holes will be inside the wheel nuts not outside them like his. U would also have 2 holes in each center piece, 1 theaded 1 not threaded. On yours the center screws to the bracket and the ring screws to the center. RIGHT??

I've never seen the bracket Ken pictured and I've taken off at least 10 or 12 sets of those off and back on. His looks like it's 1 piece. Has that been altered or is that from the converter like that?

Matt_in_AZ
05-18-2016, 12:29 AM
I will have to go look at it in the daylight and take a photo to compare.

Gil_J
05-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Kane and Real Wheels supplied many of the wheel covers that weren't custom made for a specific converter. Although these covers won't match yours, it's good to know where to go if you decide to make change. BTW, there are many sources of covers that don't cover the lug nuts so lug caps are needed. These are far less expensive.

Joe giving good advice when he suggests you should remove and replace your covers yourself. I too learned this the hard way.

Joe Camper
05-18-2016, 07:59 AM
The brackets for the t-Kane could be done better if they were changed. They r way too soft. If u have the old style inner outer nuts with tapered holes on the rim.

If u tighten the lugs all the way down the brackets distort and push out around the nut making those nuts very difficult to get back off. U have to beat the bracket flat before removal or just pry it off first. If u do not tighten till the bracket spreads around the nut it will crush down going down the road and make those nuts loose.

Matt_in_AZ
05-18-2016, 11:27 PM
@Joe - I have taken photos of the brackets found on my 1997 Marathon (see attached)

As I stated in my original post, I reached out to the consignment dealer to see if he could make this situation right by helping me replace the missing items which were incorrectly installed by the third party that changed the tires prior to delivery. I heard back from him tonight and he is addressing the matter with the tire company (which is a reputable firm) to get my covers replaced. If he is unsuccessful in obtaining a remedy through the third party tire company he committed to standing behind the work and replace them himself. It is good to work with solid business people who stand behind their work and support their customers after the sale. He is a former Marathon employee so he might know someone that has some stored away somewhere for a future Smithsonian exhibit.

Joe Camper
05-19-2016, 06:16 AM
The brackets u have r the ones I'm used to seeing. If I had to guess I'd say on Kens hub caps his r 1 piece someone welded the 2 pieces togeather. His bracket is definatly different. Too bad the 2 photos werent side by side same thread. Never saw that before but I like the idea it's just less complicated. Can someone please tell us is that done by Vantare or a prior owner? I defiantly like the idea it's simpler and less to go wrong.

Mat as u aquire replacements and as u work with the remaining caps here's a tip.

Initally when u put the center cap up it may or may not be snug to the rim all the way around. U have to slightly bend those tabs to get it perfectly tight. Don't make that adjustment untill first putting the outer ring up with it.

It's a fiddly job and will probably take u 2 or 3 times on and off at each hub to get them really happy.

I'd try Leon at marathon and we should see if we can figure out who that was at the St Louis rally who pulled all his.

Good luck and please let us know how u made out.