PDA

View Full Version : Alligator Valve Caps -- Buyer Beware

Gil_J
05-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Here's an important safety message for anyone using the Alligator brand tire valve caps that allow you to check your tire pressure without removing the cap.

I recently installed brand new Alligator brand double valve caps believing that they not only made for convenient pressure checking, but would also provide added safety in the event that a valve core developed a leak. I can tell you from personal experience that these valve caps did not seal against valve core leaks. I recently had 2 tires that lost pressure overnight due to valve core problems. I'm not the only one to have experienced the same failure of these valve caps, so my experience with these caps doesn't appear to be unique. Not everyone that sells these makes mention of their ability to provide an air tight seal. Alcoa sells these or a similar looking double valve cap and this is what they say about their ability to seal. No mention of being air tight.

<tbody>
Double seal valve cap seals at the top of the cap which prevents dirt and water from penetrating the cap, eliminating the chances of clogged air passages due to ice and debris

</tbody>

I have since discarded these caps given tire pressure safety is so important. I also questioned why I even bought these. These caps are marketed for a single purpose and that's to save commercial operators time when checking their tire pressure. I can't believe there is any coach owner that doesn't have the reported 5-6 extra minutes to remove conventional caps and check their tire pressure. BTW, when buying traditional caps made sure they are made of brass and that they are rated for high heat.

Before someone jumps on the TPMS bandwagon, I am still not in the camp of using the external sensors. When someone makes a reliable in the wheel sensor I may reconsider.

So, some may be curious why I had two valve stem failures. The fact of the matter is almost all of valve stems failed! The previous owner appears to have installed Equal in the tires but did not install the Equal valve stems with filter screens. I'm not sure why, but it could have been because the valve stems would not support the Equal valve cores. Still, that's not really a good excuse. I had to replace all valve stems except the ones on the inner duals. Hopefully, my leaking valve core problem is now behind me.<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
<tbody>
Double seal valve cap seals at the top of the cap which prevents dirt and water from penetrating the cap, eliminating the chances of clogged air passages due to ice and debris

</tbody>
</body>