PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys

merle&louise
02-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Karen and I have been sitting around in the cold and wet weather for the last couple of weeks and we are sick of it. Yesterday, I said "Let's go to Key West?" She said o.k. let's go! So we are off to the Florida keys. Leaving Sunday and coming back who knows when. :rolleyes:

We would like to know what specifically are the best sites to see in the keys from those who have been there. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

We are going to travel down the west coast of Florida and then on the return trip up the east coast. :)

Has anyone traveled Hwy 41 from Naples to Homestead? It looks like a good short cut as opposed to I-75.

dalej
02-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Tuga, that's the road we took when we did that route. We stayed at the state park just east of Naples. It was a nice road. We spent a day photographing the gators. This was in 2002, so things might have changed.

ps..I think it was Seminole State Park

Joe Cannarozzi
02-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Feburary is crowded there but you should be able to get a spot at Fiesta Key at the 70 mile marker because it was slated to close last year and not a whole lot of people know its open again. If you didn't notice we returned your PM and gave you our phone#. We have been going down for 5YRS now call us I'm much quicker on the phone than this computer.

Still LOTS of gators on 41, we went that way too.

merle&louise
02-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks Joe & Dale, we booked a site at Sunshine Key for the first 2 nights.
They had a site available and I didn't want to take a chance. We will look around after we get there.

Any special tourist sites that are a must see?

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Any special tourist sites that are a must see?

Do's: :) Conch Train when you first get there in Key West. A very informative train ride all around Key West discussing lots of local landmarks and historical points of interest. Then you can go back and see more of what you wanted to see and visit, on your own time schedule.

Don't: :eek: Stay at Boyds Campground. The campground is not a bad place, but it is very very cramped, and 45's are not something you want to bring in and try and park. Also the Damn Roosters start crowing at 4:30 every morning, and that is what drove Peg and I out of there two days earlier than anticipated. SERIOUSLY

Don't forget the 105 Miles (?) down from the mainland to Key West takes about 4-5 hours due to contruction and two lane roads.

But remember " IT IS NOT THE DESTINATION, BUT THE JOURNEY" :D

Gary S

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh yea, Tuga, check out Bluewater Key RV Marine Campground. We didn't get to on this trip but wished we had.
http://www.bluewaterkey.com/home.htm

You can pick up a nice lot on the water for a mere $700K, :eek: but hey you don't have to own a lot to stay there, that is if they have any places available at the time?

Let us know what you think about it, and of course pictures.

Gary S

Ben
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Tuga,

I don't think I'll make it to the Keys until the last week in March... let me know if you're still there :D

merle&louise
02-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Ben,

Sorry we can't hook up with you in the keys, but we will only be there for about a week. Karen and I both have to get back home for Feb. 12th. I'll admit it is not much time, but it is all that we can do at this time. Hope to meet you in Kerrville.

Gary,

The Conch Train sounds great. We are both excited about Key West.

We will be staying 2 nights in Marathon and then 2 more nights in Bluewater RV Resort in Key West. This is all that we could get on such short notice. I suppose that we are lucky to get these sites during the peak of the season.
$700,000 for a water front lot @ Bluewater! I wouldn't pay a nickel over $695,000 - I wonder if there would be any room left for price appreciation!:confused: Some people just have too much money.

Thanks for all of the advice and help from all of you. We will post some pictures (if I can attach them, I may need some help).

lewpopp
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Tuga'

"some people have too much money" Why do you talk about me in that tone of voice? Jeeeeze !

Lew

merle&louise
02-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey Lew, check out these "great deals". They must be having a sale!:)

Can you believe these prices!

BLUEWATER KEY RV RESORT

CURRENT LISTING OF SITES FOR RESALE 1/13/07

#5 $600,000.00 (Canal Lot) Professionally designed for enjoyment of privacy, entertaining, and beautiful tropical landscaping, including mature Royal and Queen Palms. Has two tikis - one for dining and the other for sitting which contains cabinetry and ceramic tiled counter. Also, dockage for your boat on deep blue water canal. This lot has successfully attained permitted status. Contact Denise @ 570-575-4050.

#7 $499,000 (Canal lot) PRICE REDUCED for quick sale! 35' x 80' canal lot with16' x 24' permanent dock/deck with fish cleaning station. Large tiki with bar, ceiling fan, lighting, vinyl wind curtain, appliance cabinets, and beautiful brick patio. Includes large metal storage shed, standard concrete pad, 30/50 amp power, telephone, and resort cable. Call owner Lou Marcrum @ 305-745-3182.

#8 $495,000 (Canal lot) Tropical landscaping, concrete pad, wood decking connecting to a large wooden dock overlooking a deep boating canal. Site includes all the outdoor furniture, hot tub, tropical swing, and a cute tiki hut. A nice trailer is also for sale. Call owner @ 561-204-1418 or 954-214-8136.

#10 Canal Site $600,000. On secure deep boating canal with tropical landscaping, tiki hut, new outdoor furniture, wet bar and a very large deck/dock. Assumable fixed rate loan, with 20% down. Call Cory Kulok @ 305-797-0909.

#14 NEW LISTING $575,000 (CANAL LOT) FARTHEST STANDARD CANAL LOT FROM HIGHWAY WITH DOCK ON DEEP WATER CANAL, SHALLOW WATER ACCESS TO OCEAN AND GULF, 2 BEAUTIFUL GUMBO LIMBO TREES ON CANAL, NICE BORDER LANDSCAPING. SATELLITE TV AND CABLE READY. 22' FOOT SEADOO JET DECK BOAT ALSO AVAILABLE. CALL GARY 772-913-2277 OWNER email videodish@aol.com

#25 PRICE REDUCED to $479,000 (Offwater) Lot #25 is a poolside/off water lot in a quiet location, yet close to the clubhouse, pool and dock. Big rig friendly, full hook-up site has tropical landscaping, a large side patio with concrete table and benches for under your awning dining. There’s also a private stamped concrete patio across rear of lot with 12 x 23 Tiki (new roof 01/06). Ready for your outdoor kitchen or bar. Call: Gary or Mell @ 305-923-5213 or 352-536-9628.

#35 SOLD!!

#54 $769,000 Waterfront site is 35' x 80' with large wooden deck and 12' x 18' tiki hut with wood deck, ceiling fans, lighting, kitchen cabinets/bar and undercounter refrigerator. Open water sunrise view from Tiki and Coach. Lot has lush tropical landscaping and a 10' x 30' concrete patio. The lot also comes with a 8' x 12' floating dock/swim platform. Full hook-up w/ 50 amp service, water, cable TV and telephone. Please contact Bill @ 972-740-5784.

#61 $799,000 Open water lot. Large open water site with new tiki hut, Boston brick pavers patio, new floating dock/swim platform. Tropical landscaping, 50 amp, water, electric, cable and phone hook-up. Owner financing is available. Call Cory Kulok @ 305-797-0909

#67 $735,000 (Waterfront) Beautiful large open water lot. New legal Tiki Hut, plus smaller Tiki Hut. Gorgeous palms and tropical plants. Floating dock, concrete pads. Lot and boat to be sold together for $775K. Boat is the "best for Bluewater!" Triton 22' tunnel hull, 200HPDi Yamaha, loaded with options, new condition. For details and pictures, call Hank Albers at 701-471-6000 or email hanksales@midconetwork.com.

#70 $699,000 (Waterfront) site is 35' x 80' with large wood deck and 12' x 16' tiki hut. Enjoy the sunrise from your tiki with 12' of kitchen cabinets with bar. Also a 10' x 20' concrete patio, tropical plantings and a 10' x 14' wood dock. Full hookups w/50 amp service, cable TV, telephone and additional sewer service for 5th wheel. Please contact Bill @ 319-337-6081 or 319-631-1383.

ajhaig
02-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Tuga,

We are going to the Keys. Do you have any tips from your trip last year? Was highway 41 from Naples to Homestead ok? Is there any place to get fuel?

AJ

P.S. We had a great time in New Orleans... Thanks again for your insight.

merle&louise
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
AJ,

Good to hear from you! Yes, Highway 41 is a good road from the west coast to the east. I can't remember where we purchased diesel but I'm sure you'll find a truck stop on the way down to the Keys. Check out Bluewater RV Resort in Key West: awesome!:D

Glad you had a good time in New Orleans for Mardi Gras; you are a braver man than I am. Enjoy the keys they are beautiful at this time of the year.
Stop and visit Lew in Port St. Lucie, FL on your way back north if you are on the east coast. He's a great guy if you haven't met him yet. South Florida is beautiful:)

VegasDogMan
02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
AJ:

Keep us posted as to your trip south, campgrounds, things to see, things to avoid.

Mosquito report would be helpful too.

We're in Ocala FL right now and heading south in March.

lewpopp
02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
AJ, you might not want to believe everything that Tuga says, but if you stop on the way back, you cn stay here for 3 days free if you call me ahead of time. Beautiful resort and you don't want to miss it.

Lewpopp2@aol.com

truk4u
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
A J,

There is fuel at 41 & 997 as well as Homestead, but I would get it further upstate and not worry about it. Like Tuga said, Bluewater is 1st class, a little pricy and we found it a bit snooty as well.

Here's a pic from Thanksgiving 07....

02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
If you guys are interested, here is a link to one of the best kept secrets in South Florida. We live in Jupiter Fl. and have stayed at the Juno Beach Rv Resort before and after we were ready to take our coach out for a trip. We really enjoyed the park. It is a mixed use park, (park models) but it is bordered by a state park to the east, across the street is one of Floridas best oceanfront beaches, state park, fishing pier, marinas all around the property, fine dining and the best part, is that the park sells their sites fee simple, fees are low, the owners are from Canada and have owned the park for 35 years, it is right in the heart of everything and steps away. From my site I can see the ocean, there is even a ridge looking out to sea. rates are reasonable, ownership is reasonable, fees are low, and the people are great. You would think I was selling for these people, but the fact is that the park is a real find.

http://www.junobeachrvresort.com/outside_home.asp

Bruce

mike kerley
02-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I've gotta get a plug in here.

Check out River Ranch RV Resort. Its a dude ranch RV park in the middle of florida, just off of highway 60, 25 miles from Yee Haw Junction. Great lots with canal front or "in the oaks" lots. Rodeo on Saturday night.Saloon, marina and airport. [http://www.riverranchrv.net[/URL].

Can't match Lew's offer, but lots are normally available from $75.00 to $85.00 per night. Stay away from the petting farm, thats my domain.

http://www.riverranchrv.net

Mike K.

merle&louise
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Great post Mike,

Louise and I love to ride horses, we will try to plan a trip to River Ranch soon. Thanks for pointing it out to us.:D

02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I've gotta get a plug in here.

Check out River Ranch RV Resort. Its a dude ranch RV park in the middle of florida, just off of highway 60, 25 miles from Yee Haw Junction. Great lots with canal front or "in the oaks" lots. Rodeo on Saturday night.Saloon, marina and airport. [http://www.riverranchrv.net[/URL].

Can't match Lew's offer, but lots are normally available from $75.00 to $85.00 per night. Stay away from the petting farm, thats my domain.

http://www.riverranchrv.net

Mike K.
We have always enjoyed River Ranch. Started going there back in the Mid 80's. At one point the main corporation went bankrupt, but the lot owners worked out some type of deal with the courts. The original property was developed by Mobil Oil as a retreat, hunting fishing flyin. They have a 5 or even 5500' cement runway, and have airshows there from time to time. We really enjoyed the rodeos on Friday and Saturday nights, great place.

rmboies
02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=mike kerley;23897]I've gotta get a plug in here.

url]

Hey Mike, this looks like my kind of place, yeehaw! What fun, do you own a lot there?

Debi

mike kerley
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Debi,

We do and there are some good deals to be had if your shopping for a lot.

Come on down and visit. POGers are always welcome. Jim Skiff is thinking about a rally here someday. Might just happen. It is a great place for people who like large four legged animals of all types. We have bison, longhorn cattle, lamas, horses of all sizes and some cute goats. This is the time of the year when the youngsters start popping out. We gained two baby bison this week. More critters to come.

Mike K

Ray Davis
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Are all the lots really shaded with trees? Would make it a bit difficult for satellite TV or internet?

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
You can park on the runway, Ray. Bring extra electric cord.

mike kerley
02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Ray, All of the waterfront lots are wide open with just palm trees around. Good sky views. One section (under the oaks, phase 3) is heavily wooded with large, old oak trees and its a struggle to get a look at the sky in here. Other sections have nicely shaded lots but the pad has a good sky view.

Just let the desk know you need to see the SW sky, and they'll find a spot for you. At least, thats what we try to teach them to do.

Mike K

Ray Davis
02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Sounds good Mike. We're going to hit the east coast in 2009 for 4-6 weeks for my son's graduation. Not quite sure if we make it down to FL, but it's a possibility.

Thanks!
Ray