PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cam

dale farley
03-26-2016, 10:41 AM
How many are actually using a Dash Cam in their bus? I looked at one in Costco that got me to wondering if it might be a good idea, but when I did a little comparisons, I see there are other units that are rated much better at a comparable price. I do realize that like all electronics, you can find dash cams from very cheap to very expensive, and some of that will fall under the, "get what you pay for category". There are many excellent reviews for "Transcend" dash cams on Amazon, and I am thinking about purchasing one of these. Has anyone had any first-hand experience with a similar unit. This might be some low cost insurance?

This particular unit comes with a suction mount so it can be moved around. It also has a 1.8 aperture lens for low light operation and provides a 130 degree view. It has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 from 55 customers which is better than most units, and it comes with a 2 year warranty. The price is only $92 with two-day delivery for Amazon Prime customers. http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-DrivePro-Recorder-Suction-TS16GDP100M/dp/B00NUVDVDY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1PW9837098U4T

Joe Camper
03-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Get it. Looks good that is cheep insurance yer right.

dale farley
03-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Joe, I ordered one and should get it today, so I'll let you know how it works.

Denny
03-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info Dale. Please keep us updated on the results; I am very interested in one.

nana39565
03-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Dale, please let us know also. We are interested in getting one.

9pauls
04-07-2016, 01:57 AM
I picked up the new Garmin GPS with the 6" screen which has a built-in dash cam that records on loop. Swapped in a 16gb micro sd card. works great and automatically detects and saves "incidents".

Gil_J
04-07-2016, 06:21 AM
I'v been curious about the GPS with built-in dashcam. It would seem like you're too restricted on placement if you really want the dashcam to be effective.

dale farley
04-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Since I don't have my bus here, I've had the Transcend 100 in my SUV for about 10 days, and it seems to do everything I need it to do. If you are looking for a 6' screen, this is not the unit for you since it has a 2.4" screen. Although you can look at the recordings on the screen, you would probably view the videos on a computer if you have a need to see them. The resolution is quite good on a 21" computer screen. It works very good at night and also in the rain. Unfortunately, I have not seen or used another unit, so I have nothing to compare. I tried to upload a short video, but was unsuccessful. I attached a couple excerpts from the description on the Transcend site. I am sure there are better units available, but for $92, I am satisfied with this one.

Record every critical moment

Day or night, the DrivePro 100 Car Video Recorder is your most reliable eyewitness on the road. With a built-in battery, the recorder gives you an extra 30 seconds of recording in case of power failure, offering maximum assurance. The DrivePro 100's high-quality wide angle 6 glass lenses can capture snapshots and clear Full HD footage for display on a bright 2.4" color LCD screen. Easy to operate, the DrivePro 100 includes the Auto Power On/Off feature and the free-to-download DrivePro PC Tool for Windows for users to easily play the recorded videos on their computer.

If the DrivePro 100's built-in G-Sensor detects an impact during recording, it will instantly trigger Emergency Recording mode up to 1 minute (30 seconds before and after the incident). Alternatively, you can also activate emergency recording mode manually by pressing the red emergency button; this is useful when situations occur outside the vehicle where you need to collect evidence in case of a fraudulent claim or lawsuit. Video files recorded in emergency mode are protected from being overwritten.

Free 16GB microSDHC MLC memory card included

As each DrivePro 100 includes a 16GB microSDHC memory card that can record up to 120 minutes of Full HD video, there's no need to worry about overwritting the important footage. Built with top-tier MLC NAND flash chips, the Transend's 16GB microSDHC memory card provides consistent long-life durability and endurance.