PDA

View Full Version : The Florida Turnpike

Joe Camper
02-15-2016, 06:52 AM
Is it me and and my old 1 ton truck that have difficulty getting up to speed reentering the pike after stopping in one of the service plazas located in the center of the highway that u enter to and from the fast lane?? R those ramps just a bit too short?

If I get a good run right out of the parking lot and floor it all the way down the ramp I can not even get to 70, about 65, and often encounter traffic going 75+ in the hammer lane when I get to it. That's with a 1 ton van mind u. How does a 50000 lb+ vehicle fair? Some of the reentry ramps even have a moderate curve half way down in them that inhibits u from using most of it to get to a safe merging speed.

How in the hell or what was the designers thinking? I think it's nuts.

I do not think there would be anything in those areas important enough to get me in there with a truck or bus taking into consideration the redicules short reentry ramps that forces u to merge into traffic going almost 80mph in the fast lane from a ramp that is way way too short.

Just my 2 cents.

Gil_J
02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Another dumb traffic engineering practice in Florida is on ramps without acceleration lanes. To make them more dangerous is many on ramps are right after interstate overpasses. So, interstate traffic has little time to react to on ramp traffic. In the case if interstates, surely there are federal interstates design requirements.