PDA

View Full Version : The Prevost vs Wanderlodge Saga

BigJon
01-03-2016, 12:16 AM
Hello Folks,

First let me thank all of the contributors to this marvelous resource, the POG. I was a regular lurker before I became a member, and I became a fan of a true bus frame motorhome very soon after purchasing my 2002 Monaco Knight - the death grip on the steering wheel (even with a good anti-sway and steer stabilizer system installed) during moderate crosswinds convinced me. Weight has its benefits! I started looking at mid-90's pre-owned Prevost's and the same vintage Bluebird's as both coach's were quality million mile chassis, and properly maintained either would outlast me.

As it happened, the competition narrowed to two choices: A 1997 Prevost Vantaré being brokered by Tom Murray and a 2003 Bluebird LX40 w/slide that Randy Dupree had up on his site. I was partial to the Vantaré, as I had seen that coach for sale for some time - it is a gorgeous coach, the Series 60 was a plus for me, as was the **lack of** a sldeout. I had watched the asking price come down to something where I was comfortable with spending the money on. When I called Tom, there was someone already under contract, but there were enough uncertainties at play, I thought I had a fighting chance.

My my wife was partial to the LX40 for the very reason I wasn't: the salon slide. Other than that both coaches were fairly reasonably matched, while the LX40 did not have updated entertainment features, its roof top air units freed up considerable basement storage.

We were looking at a narrow window for purchase and delivery, because of having to protect a potential 9 week schedule of daily radiation treatments for prostate cancer that was to start up around the end of January (that believe it or not would have been the good news outcome - as it turned out it is becoming evident the cancer has already spread to several spots on my bones, making the "curative" approach with the daily radiation treatment no longer reasonable - and I was one of those guys that did everything right as far as PSA tests, and prostate checks go - oh well, medicine is not perfect and never will be). Sorry, I digressed.

The nail biting conclusion came down to my waiting for a phone call from either Tom or Randy, whoever called first would get the deposit check overnighted and would decide which location in Florida (that was the other coincidence - both coaches were located in Florida, not all that far apart but about as far away from where I am at as you can get in the continental US). My financing was already approved for either coach, so it was just a matter of choosing. Randy called, we inspected the coach just before Christmas, approved funds for 80% and will pay the balance when we take delivery a little later this month.

I would like like to take a moment here to praise Tom Murray. I would have loved to have done business with him. He struck me as a real gentlemen who took the time to keep me posted each step of the way while I was in the running for the Vantaré, and what actions if any, I needed to take. If any of you are in the market for a pre-owned Prevost, or need some assitance in selling one, I cannot recommend Tom enough. He can be reached at 904-338-4275 (tel:904-338-4275) and I noticed the Vantaré is still listed on Prevost-stuff.com. That unit is just too nice not too have a good owner matched to it, and the coach is in impeccable condition http://www.prevost-stuff.com/1997PrevostVantareXL_Murray1001.html

I am attaching pictures of the LX40 that my wife and I will be taking delivery of shortly, and the Vantaré that I would have been equally proud to own.

Good luck to you all. Be well, be safe and may we see each other on the road.

Jon

Gil_J
01-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Jon,

Congratulations on your new purchase. It's not always easy to find that perfect coach. I understand finding Wanderlodge specific support is getting harder. So, if you need any Wanderlodge specific wortk done you might want to call Parliament Coach in Clearwater before you leave Florida. At any given day there are quite a few Wanderlodges in there for repair.

May 2016 bring you safe journeys and improved health,

JIM KELLER
01-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Big Jon, Thanks for a great Post. Congratulations on your purchase and good luck with your health. You seem like a positive person and we know that is important with any medical condition.

dale farley
01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Jon, Congratulations on your new purchase. There are POG members that have knowledge and experience with Wanderlodges, so you might want to consider staying active on the forum. Most of the time there are a few POG members who own coaches other than Prevost, and we welcome that interface and rally attendance. We wish the very best for you and hope you have a prosperous and healthy new year.

BigJon
01-03-2016, 12:36 PM
Thank you for the well wishes and comments folks. Parliament is actually looking to release at least one "Wanderlodge" edition on a 2016 Prevost shell as they ease back into the conversion business. I do believe many considered them to be one of the top converters for quality, fit and finish. As I understand it, after Bluebird folded, Parliment bought all of the intellectual property and naming rights for the motorhome side of the business.

By by the way, the reason that Vantaré is still up at Prevost-stuff.com is the deal never closed with the current buyer and doesn't look like it ever will. If anybody can offer their own financing to Tom (hint:USAA, or most credit unions), my guess is that coach would be theirs today.

Take care all,

Jon