PDA

View Full Version : New Member

wracinti
10-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself as I have just joined a few days ago. Retried doctor, presently with a Newmar Ventana looking to move into a Prevost conversion within the next year to year and a half. This is our third motorhome but there was a 14 year gap between number 2 and 3. Bought the gently used Newmar as a package deal with TOAD and contents because we did not know how we would like RVing after 14 years and without kids and that seemed like an easy transition back into it. Well, needless to say, we love it. And although the Ventana has been good, taking us to Hearthside from our home in Cincinnati several times, to Vermont, and recently to Mountain Falls, we decided we want to do more cross country driving and the present rig doesn't fit my needs as to drivabilty. So, I am here to start the search and education. I am looking for a 40 foot with one slide which I am told is a rare breed but we are limited on what will fit on the side of our house. I am not a mechanic so getting service relatively close will play into the decision. Engine, transmission, and I think generator service I am confident can be done locally in Cincinnati. I understand there is a place in Knoxville started by a former Liberty employee which is 4 hours away. I have not contacted them yet to find out what other, if any,conversions they work on. I am now 4 hours from the Newmar plant so that is a doable drive. I have read several good posts on the different conversions and their strenghts so I will with hold questions until I have studied the forum more, many will be answered doing that I am sure. I am excited about the process but also want to take my time and buy the right coach for our needs. Dr. Wayne R. Albain

coreygrubb
10-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Wayne, you are referring to Jeff Rowe at East Tennessee Luxury Coach and he is one of the best in the business. He is located in Vonore, 40 mi SE of Knoxville. Geo.

Gil_J
10-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Wayne,

Best of luck in your search. If you have any questions or are simply looking for opinions, ask away.

As you have already discovered, your choice will be few. Are you limiting your choice to a particular model? I know there are a few single and double slide 40-foot XL-IIs out there.

dale farley
10-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Wayne,

Here is a 40' Single Slide and one Double Slide. Because of the limited number of 40 footers on the market, time may prove to be your best friend in your search for that perfect coach. http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2002PrevostAmericanXLII_Balargeon725.html

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=65611&SearchMethod=1

wracinti
10-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks all. No, no particular converter in mind. I know they all have there strenghts and weaknesses. I guess the availabilty of service within driving distance of where I live will be a big factor. The one thing besides ride in my present coach that I do not like at all is that it is loud,very loud, going down the road. And also the AC and furnace are way too loud for me.So, if there is a converter that pays extra attention to sound deadening that would be a plus. My limited knowledge says AC systems that are in the bays below are going to be quieter than roof mounted AC units. When I was up at Hearthside a gentleman gave me a complete top down tour of his 2002 Liberty Elegant Lady Mandalay Bay. He had the cruise airs on and they were very quiet I thought. I have seen those two 40 footers for sale, thanks, I wonder how they supported the Prevost structure with 2 slides as that I have not seen that.

Gil_J
10-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Yes, roof air will almost always be noisey than the alternatives. Keep in mind that I think all new conversions use roof airs.

If you go with Cruise-Airs make sure the basement units are adequately ventilated.

Basement air is likely the quietest option with the blower fan also being in the basement. Basement airs were rare and not really used any longer. The problem with basement air is the need for more BTUs of air than a 120V unit can supply. Some dual compressor units were made specifically for RVs. I can't understand the reluctance by the converters to use 240V units to overcome the BTU shortcoming. The cooktop and dryer are 240V appliances. Bruce Coach did use 240V basement air and can even power the basement air through their dual Trace 4000 inverters.

Non Prevost slides weren't uncommon before 2002 or so. It seems the aftermarket installers did a good job of reinforcing the Prevost shell. Some don't rely on an inflatable seal, like Prevost. The risk of an inflatable seal is water intrusion if the seal bleeds down. The cost of periodic replacement of an inflatable seal can be pricey. Just know these risks and cost when you decide. The right option is the option that is right for you and your use of the coach.

Prevost did a great job of delivering a sound proofed chassis. Any added sound deadening likely adds more to insulation than sound deadening. The generator enclosure and diesel fired heater are 2 noise sources that the converters should have addressed. I've never heard a noisey generator installation from any converter. I believe Aqua Hot units are quieter than Webastos units. The exception being when the Webastos is in a noise enclosure.

travelite
10-25-2015, 07:48 PM
I think all slides in forty footers are aftermarket. I don't think Prevost ever put a factory slide in a forty footer.

wracinti
10-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Am I correct that the inflatable seal type slide would require a compressor to be on continously to supply air to keep the seal inflated? And that would be if the slide was retracted or extended, correct?

coreygrubb
10-26-2015, 06:42 AM
No. The aux compressor will run as needed just as for any other air accessory such as step slide, pocket doors, gen-set bags etc. Geo.

Joe Camper
10-26-2015, 04:08 PM
It might not be running all the time but it would have to be on all the time.

Gil_J
10-26-2015, 08:48 PM
You are correct. Whether extended or retracted air would have to be available. I would assume a properly function seal wouldn't require much, if any, air to keep it inflated. Of course, all older air systems tend leak; most at a very manageable rate of leakage.

coreygrubb
10-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Joe, I would have thought that was understood. Geo.

Joe Camper
10-27-2015, 07:38 AM
Gill when u say a manageable rate of air loss that would be a relative term.

Good topic for a new looker. The aux air an important piece of the puzzle and one that often requires looking at and tuning up on a used bus.