PDA

View Full Version : What is an Orphan

Gil_J
10-20-2015, 06:30 PM
It seems I misspoke when I said Vantare’s are orphans. Featherlight is still in business and the Vantare’ brand is theirs. Amadas Coach is still in business and their web site states they built the Vantare’s. So, it seems Vantare’s aren’t orphaned coaches. Most know that I don’t mind orphaned coaches if they are full of proprietary systems that may be difficult to support.

What is an orphaned coach anyway? Clearly, converters that are still producing motorhome conversions aren’t orphans. So, Liberty, Marathon, Millennium, Emerald, and Outlaw coaches aren’t orphans.

What about Country Coach, Royal, and Parliament conversions? All three companies are still in business. Parliament has changed owners a couple times since their last conversion but still provide service and I believe still have the build specs and IP for their conversions. Country Coach will provide service and answer questions, although both are limited. They too have changed hands since their last conversion and they may not have access to all of the IP for the conversions. Monaco, the converter of Royal Coach, is still in business and still builds traditional RVs. They have changed ownership several times since their last conversion. Although I don’t know for sure, I doubt they are supporting the Royal brand.

What about American Carriage and Bruce Coach. Neither are doing conversions, at least I don’t think so. However, both are still in business and provide support. American Carriage, the business name, is no longer, but the brains behind American Carriage is still in business. Bruce Coach is still in business and I know Bruce provides support as I’ve personally spoken to him.

To me, it’s not about whether a coach is an orphan, whatever that means to you. What is important is the ability to get service and replacement parts. Of course, as a coach ages component and system obsolescence will occur. For the most part, you can’t hold that against the converter. The exceptions being when a converter continues to install systems that they know are approaching their end of life or end of support state. Obsolescence is not limited to the converter. XL owners have been seeing some parts no longer carried by Prevost. The XL product ended production 15 years ago, so this should be expected.

My recommendation for a prospective buyer is to understand where you will get support if you need it.

Alek&Lucia
10-20-2015, 08:15 PM
I think that Royale is still the best problem free and easy to maintain Prevost conversion.

In December of 2005 a Prevost Coach converter by the name of Royale Coach closed its doors. Two of its former engineers, Dan Jourdan and Glenn Berden soon realized that the Royale Coach owners would have no where to turn for help and service.

http://www.royalephoenix.com/About.html

Gil_J
10-20-2015, 10:13 PM
As Alec points out, independent support often exists when the original converter no longer supports the conversion. Some of these independent service facilities rival the original converter in expertise and quality of work.

I agree that Royal made a great coach. Like CC of that vintage, systems where more than capable and realitively simple.

dale farley
10-22-2015, 08:36 AM
It appears that most all conversions are pretty well covered when it comes to serviceability regardless of the current status of the original converter. Does this mean the purchaser is relatively safe regardless which conversion he chooses?