PDA

View Full Version : Ebay, '97 XL, Two-Slide

travelite
10-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Anyone know this coach, ebay item number: 121768574301 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-PREVOST-COACH-HUNDREDS-OF-HOURS-INVESTED-LIKE-A-BRAND-NEW-COACH-/121768574301?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c59f8fd5d&item=121768574301). (NFI), I just find it interesting. The slides were installed by Rogue which is a topic probably worthy of its own thread. We've long kicked around the idea that there might be a market for refurbished older conversions, given the post 2008 crash of the RV industry and the lack of inventory. Here's an example of an outfit, RV Transformations (http://www.rvtransformations.com/), doing just that.

Gil_J
10-04-2015, 11:23 PM
Yes David I saw that coach and traded a couple emails with the seller.

Those HWH slides were installed when converted, unless I missed something. As much as I like the coach it has some things that concern me. The coach has not been weighed after it went from carpet to tile. I hate the generator location. How they got it in the engine bay must have been a sight.

It is a good looking coach and a XL with a slide or 2 would make for a perfect coach. Installing a slide pushes a 6 figure investment. Way too much to put into a XL today.

travelite
10-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Hey Gil,

Installing the generator into the engine compartment is a novel approach. I would think this would cut down on the towing tongue weight capabilities; that genny's gotta add a thousand pounds back there, all of it cantilevered off the end of the bus. But, we know 40' conversions are fond of mounting a 180 gal fresh water tanks under the stateroom bed. (I realize this coach is not a forty footer). That's even more weight hanging off the back. I like the coach, but I wonder who did the original conversion? I'd also like to see pics of the original interior, and I'd also like to make sure the title is clear and not salvage. I don't see a lot of money poured into the interior. It's mostly Villa furniture and fabric coverings, nor do I see any expensive or complex Crestron or low voltage control. Speaking of what I don't see: they really need to take some pics of the driver's side basement compartments. I'm very interested to see the beams Rogue put in place to add strength back into the chassis. Whatever they did it seems to be working! There very well may be a market for folks who wish to refurbish older conversions at an affordable retail price. Very nice! :)

BenC
10-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Interesting remodel, but I would like to point out several inaccuracies, the first being the awning manufacturer. These are ZIPDEE New Century, not Girard. Also, the axle ratings stated are completely incorrect! The front axle on a 1997 XL was only 16,500lbs, not 18,000. The engine horsepower and torque specs are from a later generation as well. In 1997 470hp and 1550 lb/ft were what was available for MTH (conversion shells). It would scare me to see a weight ticket on this coach, especially with the 315/80R22.5 steer tires! Given the company changed lightweight carpet out for porcelin tile and increased the weight on the front axle.
It always interests me to see those old "head-slicer" sliderooms too. The stainless is so sharp and pointed around the edges that I have personally sliced my head open on MORE than one occasion...ugh, headache just remembering those times, lol.