PDA

View Full Version : Herding Cats

travelite
09-23-2015, 01:18 PM
Thanks Jamie, Dale, Gil, and others for running a good forum here at POG. I applaud you Jamie for opening up the forums to the general public without requiring a registration fee. In my opinion that's a huge step forward and it illustrates the progressive leadership here at POG. The next step would of course be to remove the registration fee, but everything in good time. Having been involved in online forums, mailing lists, the usenet, and newsgroups from the beginning of internet time, and from running a couple of my own forums I think I understand the challenges of running a good forum. In short, it's herding cats! which, is something that comes naturally to anyone who cut their teeth in the high tech industry or whoever led or managed a group of highly creative people, engineers, artists, and the like. Folks who've created workplaces where people like this can thrive are good at running online forums. If I might add, it's my opinion that folks who've earned their stripes in highly governed, restricted, rule driven environments where the emphasis is on loyalty and blind faith, for instance, law enforcement, assembly line manufacturing, and the like, may not be particularly suited. The gentle influence required, the ambiance, and the environment needed to foster, keep, and reward high achieving creative people is simply outside their realm. These other industries want exactly the opposite to a free spirited, free thinking, inventive individual. They want obedience, discipline, control, rule driven, and loyalty above everything, and that only makes sense in the military or law enforcement where lives are on the line. In an effective online forum folks need to be given the leeway and freedom to venture outside their comfort zone without fear of intimidation, ridicule, or ostracism. When cat's sense this kind of environment they'll flee; it's certain. Running a forum successfully requires a hands-off, laissez fare approach that the ham-handed can only dream about - Herding Cats. Nice job guys; you make it look easy. The Prevost Owners Group has a bright future.

Joe Camper
09-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Have u been beaten down somewhere? I'm picking up this theme with all your recent posts.

I have read about the "zero out" here a couple times now. Hmmmmm.

If u have a prevo professionally converted and have the staying power to get every last bulb working I sure hope u r doing those repairs yourself because the cost of having someone else get it there would kinda take the fun and many lew bucks from u. Then it would last about half way thru the next trip out till something went south again.

I would like to do an inspection on a coach that has been zeroed.

They may be out there.......... aint many. I'm not saying it isn't an amiable goal but come on get real. These campers have way too much complexity to get them perfect and then keep them like that.

Doesn't tarnish them at all in my eyes, still have that stainless fever.

travelite
09-23-2015, 09:24 PM
A little bit Joe, a little bit... We still have to get together some day. When you're in NC let me know. I'll find time.

Joe Camper
09-23-2015, 09:48 PM
We will get together in nov. If Thomasville is too far I'll come after I get done there.

travelite
09-23-2015, 10:43 PM
I look forward to it Joe. :)

Gil_J
09-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Thanks David, but I don't help in the running of the forum. I do contribute and encourage everyone to contribute when they have something of value.

I too have hosted a few forums and agree the most successful forums are those that allow their members to have free discussions. I would only step in and possibly boot someone from my forums for attacking other members.

It's great that this forum doesn't seem to have a need to feed anyone's ego. All questions seem welcome and the responses and recommendations can come from any member. I frequent your Wanderlodge forum as its a great source of Series 60 information. I've read some threads there where its obvious the membership openly participates. On the contrary, I remember a Monaco forum I was on for a short while. The owner clearly hosted the forum to feed his own ego. There are sadly many of these forums. The internet is open to all with little to no policing. It's solely up to the users of internet sources to determine the level of trust they put in the information they read.

Joe the topic of zeroing out seems to have many meanings. Some suggest changing out the Norgren air control valves, but not all of them. They profess they age over time. So, why only rlace some of them? Personally, I would rely on a good inspection with the exemption of tires and rpoutine engine, transmission, and generator servicing. I drank the kool-aid not knowing any better and replaced the air bags when I bought my bus. The one's removed had no signs of degregation; no crackers, inside or out. To each their own. We all need to realize some recommendations given are strictly the opinion of the poster, regardless of how many regard the poster as an expert. Over time, many will come to realize the areas of expertise each poster may have.