PDA

View Full Version : Exercise for the Generator

dale farley
08-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Many of us seldom use our generator, but it is important that the generator gets some exercise so it will perform properly when we need it. I've read several articles that address the importance of periodically running a generator, and most manufacturers and service groups seem to agree that all generators should be routinely exercised. An average run time seems to be a minimum of 2 hours a month at 50% load. I must admit that I have never adhered to such a schedule, but maybe I should start.

When you exercise your generator it heats up the generator windings and eliminates moisture build up. This monthly exercise regime also lubricates all of the engine seals and components and helps to prevent carbon and moisture build up. At 50% load, the average fuel consumption for a Power Tech 17K is about .79 GPH and .9 GPH for the the 20K.

JIM KELLER
08-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Interesting information.

Joe Camper
08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
It has been my practice to run ALL major components at least 1 hr once a monrh with all my rvs.

With the bus I would turn inverter on and turn autostart on and make sure it continued to work too. When was the last time that got tested in your bus?

If u never use level low the spools stick in the norgrens and the solonoids stick in the steering bay. Up and down manually on all 3 corners once a month keeps the doctor away

JIM KELLER
08-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Good reminder Joe.