PDA

View Full Version : Situational Awareness

Gil_J
06-29-2015, 07:41 PM
I wonder how much consideration each converter gives to situational awareness and the position they locate switches or other controls in and around the driver’s seat. We can all probably appreciate the fact that our coaches, regardless of converter, are a great achievement in the integration of many subsystems. I suspect many of the converters intentionally avoid giving converter systems information to the driver. After all, they don’t want us to be turned off before we are sold on their coach by the seemly complex overload of information we may encounter when first sitting in the driver’s seat.

Although the number of controls and monitors we can see from the driver’s seat might intimidate many, if not most, of us I suspect we all quickly gain appreciation for those controls and monitors. When the number of gauges becomes overwhelming situational awareness methods would have color banded gauges so at a quick glance you can determine if the reading is in the operational range. Another situation awareness method is to couple each gauge with color-coded warning or tell-tail indicators. Typically, a yellow light will warn us of something that needs attention soon, like a check engine or low fuel warning light. Typically, a red light will warn us of something that requires immediate attention, like the stop engine light. We may even see green lights for normal indications and other colors typically used for non-critical systems.

New drivers may solely rely on the tell-tale warning lights or buzzers until they get comfortable with the meter data available to them. Over time, owners will likely get more comfortable with actual meter readings and what is normal for their coach so they can proactively manage systems before a warning light illuminates. Keep in mind many readings have a broad range of acceptability, so it’s good for an owner to get a feel for what is normal for their coach. As an example, if you have a good sense for your coach’s air pressure readings and how they vary on an open road you can probably sense early air system issues before they become a problem.

Now that you’re comfortable with the information and controls you have at your driver’s seat, have you discovered that you’re missing valuable data or controls? I bet many of you are. Even those that have some form of visual indicator for specific coach’s systems may prefer gauges. Let’s explore some systems you should have available to you while driving.

Do you know if the voltage being supplied to your house batteries from your alternator is acceptable? This is critical for those operating their inverters while driving, even if only to power the refrigerator and other low current systems. At the very least, you should have tell-tale lights but most would prefer voltmeters. If your house bank is 24 volts, you almost certainly have one or more equalizers; they should have tell-tale lights in clear sight.
Can you start and stop your generator from the driver’s seat? If you can do this, and all coaches should support this basic function, do you know if your generator is running once started? Once on the highway you probably can’t hear your generator. Do you know if the voltage is correct on each leg of AC power? Again, tell-tale lights should be the basic indicator with a preference for meters.
Do you know when the inverters have taken over the AC loads? Sure, you may know the AC systems are on while driving. If you were running the generator and it quit the inverters may take over the load without you knowing they have. Without generator or inverter indicators, you wouldn’t know the generator quit and the inverters took the load.
Can you adjust the ride height from the driver’s seat? Although not something you need to do often, you should be able to do this without assistance. FWIW, I can’t do this on my coach. Later Country Coach corrected this by moving the control panel. I have the fix; I just haven’t gotten around to doing it yet.

For those still looking for a coach, you should determine what you can do while driving and whether it satisfies your needs. If you have a coach that doesn’t provide the monitors or controls you would like, it shouldn’t be overly difficult to have them installed or moved.

As I look at other coaches I know that not all converters provided what I believe is adequate monitoring and controls at the driver’s seat for the way I operate my coach. Others might feel giving the passenger some involvement in monitoring non chassis systems is good. That’s just not me.

Just something to think about.

travelite
06-29-2015, 10:08 PM
My Blue Bird Wanderlodge LXi was excellent in this area, but of course they violated your first principle by overloading the driver with information. In so doing they established a reputation as being a complex coach; although, I never considered them to be overly complex. It's a subjective thing... Engineers thrive on complexity! LOL

My BB had 120VAC voltage and amperage gauges that read out shore power or generator power. Above the driver's head were gauges for generator oil pressure and coolant temp so verifying that the genny was indeed running was simple. There were gauges for Battery Charging Current, House DC Amperage Loads, and House DC Voltage. I could start and stop the generator or the aquahot. I could start and stop all the air conditioners. I even had an Altimeter to tell whether I was climbing. The myriad of gauges on the dash board required a sophisticated scanning method or color bar coding to minimize distraction, but thoughtful gauge arrangement helped to alleviate the task. (I found that the gauges on the left of the dash were essentially correct if they pointed left while the gauges on the right were more or less correct when pointing to the right). Nonetheless, most of my first time visitors couldn't take their eyes of the cockpit area and seemed to get lost in it as I would looking in a 747. It was fun!

My Vantare is much more user friendly but with much more in the way of telltale lights; although, I am happy to report that from the driver's seat I can:
1) monitor my house battery voltage via a 24V house voltage gauge and my equilizers via telltale lights, I can
2) start or stop my genny and I can tell if it's running; although, I can't monitor genny leg voltages, I can
3) know that my inverters are sourcing the loads because on a Vantare the inverters always source all the loads (so I'm cheating a little) :), and I
4) can adjust the ride height from driver's seat!

Now, if only I could glance up and check my Altimeter to see if I'm climbing, but I guess I can also do that with my GPS! :)

JIM KELLER
06-30-2015, 07:01 AM
Very good article Gil. I think Bus color and interior layout are the most important considerations when people are looking at a new purchase. The items you mention should be equally important. When we purchased our Bus I didn't have the knowledge of this information but lucked out. Only thing I can't do or see is adjust the ride height. Arm is just not long enough. I can see the Altimeter though as David mentions !

Gil_J
07-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Jim is right on. Coach buying decisions should focus on the paint scheme and interior style and floorplan. These can be far too costly to make major changes. Floorplans will also drive you to a non-slide coach or one within some number of slides. Slides can be added, but it is almost always far too costly and time consuming to do so.

dale farley
07-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Excellent and informative article Gil. Spot-on comments.