PDA

View Full Version : New LED Taillights

Gil_J
06-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Many of us, especially those of us with older coaches, are always looking at ways of improving our coaches or ways of overcoming component obsolescence. Some may recall that I changed my factory taillights out with LED units. I have never been a fan of the oval taillights some have used. I’m also not a fan of round taillights. To me, and it’s personal, the lines on the back of the bus would be better complemented with squared lens, just like Prevost originally installed.

My first change out used 7” square LED taillight fixtures. Although they were aesthetically pleasing to me, the method I used to mount them did not have the factory finished look. The good news/bad news story is these lights, from www.superbrightleds.com (http://www.superbrightleds.com), leaked. I could not find another source of the same sized light from anyone and didn’t want to keep changing them out. So, I would be forced to change to a different light or be bothered with changing out the fixtures when they begin to leak.

This time I selected a common sized rectangular fixture that was available from multiple sources. The size of these fixtures allowed me to install more fixtures than I could with the 7” square ones. It also allowed me to have a matching LED backup light. My next challenge was how to mount these so they look like they were meant to be there. They are typically mounted with a large rubber grommet. That grommet just doesn’t look good. Custom mounting panels would be the best appearing solution.

Unless you have a local source that can laser or water jet cut panels, you may have the same challenge I had. Thankfully, I discovered www.emachineshop.com (http://www.emachineshop.com) that provides a free CAD program for you to design your own parts. It’s been decades since I’ve done any CAD work, but this would be a pretty simple design. Each taillight assembly would only require 2 custom made panels. After my design was done, it was automatically priced, and the finished parts arrived within 4 days of my order.

I struggled deciding what the finish of the panels should be. I could have ordered the outer panels in polished stainless steel, or unfinished or powder coated aluminum or steel. I opted for aluminum and painted them a color that complemented the dominate color of the back of the coach.

I’m pleased with the finished product. I have 2 LED turn signal fixtures, just like Prevost. I have 3 fixtures that are both taillights and brake lights. For added safety, all of my brake lights have a strobe modulator that is active for the first few seconds after applying the brakes. The LED back up light is extremely bright. So much so, there’s really little need for the rear flood light Country Coach installed.

I’d like to see improvements others have made to their coaches, especially those that address component obsolescence.

dale farley
06-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Very nice. I don't remember what the others looked like. How about a before and after?

JIM KELLER
06-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Gil, I like Version II better. Great looking lenses on those lights. If one LED went out you would just change out the unit, correct ?

Gil_J
06-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Jim,

Given the life expectancy of LEDs, each light is hardwired to a common harness. If one fails, that light fixture would be removed and replaced from the assembly. Here is what one of the lights look like, click here (http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cId=1&fId=57&pId=3027).

Gil_J
06-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Dale,

Here's the thread on my first change yo LEDs, click here (http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?7327-LED-Rear-Light-Replacement&highlight=led+tail+lights).

dale farley
06-17-2015, 08:50 AM
You did a good job on the first change, but I too, like the looks of these new ones much better.

Texas 40
06-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Great looking work Gil and the strobe light added to the brakes is a tremendous addition. I have used them on motorcycles but never considered the bus.

Gil_J
06-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Thanks George. I should have waived yesterday. I passed through Dallas.

FWIW, I think the strobing of brake lights is only legal for emergency vehicles, motorcycles, and hazderous cargo carriers. Given we have dedicated turn signal lights strobing brake lights shouldn't confuse followers. If they aren't legal, I'll take changes favoring safety. At least my short strobe sequence complies with the motorcycle requirements.

Texas 40
06-27-2015, 05:49 PM
I wish you had Gil. I look forward to a time we meet in person.

BenC
07-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Did you like those better than the IBP kit? Who made the ones you installed?

The IBP kit:

http://ibpindustries.com/images/m3-00927-reva.jpg

Gil_J
07-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Ben,

Personal preference, but I don't like oval lights in a rectangular housing. I also don't like exposed lighting grommets.

I designed the ones I have.

Dick in Wisconsin
09-02-2015, 03:42 PM
FWIW, I think the strobing of brake lights is only legal for emergency vehicles, motorcycles, and hazderous cargo carriers. Given we have dedicated turn signal lights strobing brake lights shouldn't confuse followers. If they aren't legal, I'll take changes favoring safety. At least my short strobe sequence complies with the motorcycle requirements.

I was following a car the other day. I noticed that when the car put the brakes on, the center brake light strobed a few times every time the driver touched the brakes. I didn't recall ever seeing that before. Don't recall ever seeing that before. Going forward I'll be watching for it again.

DaneB
09-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Gil,
This looks really sharp. What is the chances you saved the order or CAD drawing or do you think emachineshop.com would be able to duplicate that plate for future customers? Looks as if you even used the seven rows of screws on the plate that existed on the original coach design. Why does each taillight assembly require 2 pieces? It appears that there is only one piece. Is there a plate beneath that the lights actually mount to and then a cover plate? I have to say I personally like it a lot better than the IBP kit and it was probably $500 less expensive. I am calling IBP tomorrow to see how much the LED marking light package is and would be scared to ask about the price of the taillight conversion assembly.

Gil_J
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Dane,

I have the files. Although I want to make a couple of modifications. I am considering making a few more sets, as others have asked about them. If I do make others, the front panel would be polished stainless steel.

The panel behind the one you see holds the entire assembly and looks much like the Prevost panel. The screws you see are needed to sandwich the lights between the the panels. The number of screws are way overkill, but are needed for aesthetic symmetry (at least I think so).

As for side marker lights, there are several to choose from. I saw some from Trux that were installed on a XL-II that looked great and appeared bright. The challenge is finding a surface mount side marker light that is also a turn signal (rear facing LEDs) that is a surface mount. Many have just installed marker lights in both lighting positions.

DaneB
09-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Gil,
I am wanting to upgrade my lights soon. I am in on a set of these as your design is clean and looks factory. I would definitely want the polished stainless and after hearing the reasons for the two panels to sandwich the lights and looking at the cover again, I think you could get away with 6 screws, 2 top, 2 bottom and 2 middle. I guess the led lights that you used are a wired hook-up and not a plug. I went to the website but they only showed the light itself. I have a vintage Avion camper that I restored and used a LED conversion kit and each light had a 1156 plug type connector. This made the conversion easy however water gets in the covers and I am always having to jack with them. I finally got smart and used some grease and now they work most of the time!!!
BTW we are huge country and that is why we went to PCB. Mostly older country though. My good buddy is one of the producers of the Gulf Jam and it is a really good show. They get some big artists there. Most country has moved to the pop but Dwight Yoakam was there and he is pretty country. They are adding a Spring Jam in 2016. I guess you are in Beverly Hills FL?

Gil_J
09-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Dane,

We attended the first Gulf Coast Jam and it was great. It's too bad they don't install some temporary RV sites; they certainly have the space.

The light panel uses the single factory connection. All other connections are soldered and protected with shrink wrap. I'll get the modified design done after I finish the interior facelift I'm doing. The end is very near on that project...yea!

I am in Beverly Hills, next to Crystal River.