PDA

View Full Version : finish on top of coach

wmoureau
06-10-2015, 10:32 AM
i was caught in hail storm on i 20 and the finish which looks like clea seal has been damaged.what do i need to do ?wayne moureau 1997 liberty

Reagan Sirmons
06-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Wayne,
I might be able to help.... call me at 713 725 9486....
I recently re-did the entire roof including going down to the original metal... total redo so I have some idea of what is involved.
From your description, you probably want a professional to determine the degree of damage...then assess how much has to be removed and repaired...(whether or not the clear and old paint should be removed and an adhering undercoat plus paint redone.... then clear added, etc.) It might be an opportunity to have the old caulking removed and replaced while you are at it...
I have the company in mind to do it... Freightliner of Houston has the largest paint bay in the South and I can assist having you talk to them if interested.
Pres

Gil_J
06-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Wayne,

Some coaches have clear coat over a silver/gray paint. Are you describing damage to clear coat? I wouldn't think hail would damage clearcoat. Since 97 there have been many advancements in roof coatings. Although I don't have any experience with the new products there are a couple that appear to be white Line-X. If that is actually what the material is it should last forever. It should also improve cooling in direct sunlight and should reduce rain noise. If you do repaint or otherwise recoat your roof, as Reagan suggests, this is a great time to recaulk the roof penetrations. It's also a great time to replace your roof air seals, assuming you have roof air.

Reagan,

What did you refinish your roof with? I'm guessing Imron given you went to Freightliner. Imron is propably one of the most durable paints in use today. Sanding down to bare metal is a lot of effort.

Seabyrd
06-10-2015, 06:15 PM
i was caught in hail storm on i 20 and the finish which looks like clea seal has been damaged.what do i need to do ?wayne moureau 1997 liberty

James Stallings in Nacogdoches, Tx does great work... his company is Xtreme Paint and Graphics and he was recently chosen by "Prevost Fort Worth" for all their paint work.

Great folks to work with.

Reagan Sirmons
06-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Gil, After the full sanding down, they used a type of undercoat that when applied looked like a light green cheese cloth honestly when applied. It was prepared (sanded) and then painted with the Imron 5000 mixed there at Freightliner based on the computer codes of CC that I had. Their system's computer mixes the paints and the body manager (Wally Melia) puts his final approval on the blend. In their dehumidified paint booths (which I think are imperative to use) and are about 100 feet long, they then put two coats of the paint and two clear. Each coat was time baked overnight so it takes some time.
It was a lot of work but he has done a tremendous amount of work for me and is one of the best so I trust his judgment. When I ever have to change an A/C, I always take the new cowling to him for a match. So ... the answer is yes to the Imron....
Pres