PDA

View Full Version : Quartzite, AZ

bluevost
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Every January a sleepy little town in western Arizona, just off I-10, is invaded by thousands of RVers. The Quartzite swap meet has become THE place to be for those interested in stuff (doesn't matter what kind of stuff, it's all here). Vendors come from far and near, and so do the shoppers. You'll find license plates from 49 of the 50 states.

There are a few RV parks in town, but 99% of the rigs boondock in the desert on BLM land. Find a place that looks good and set up camp. Literally tens of thousands of rigs out in the desert. It's great!! We arrived on Wed afternoon and left Monday morning. The generator ran a total of 19 hours. Auto gen start came on twice and ran for two hours each time. We had the satt on continuously, the wabasto most of the day, the fridge, and anything else that has a power draw. Not too bad, 4 1/2 days, 19 hours @ .8 gal per hour. Water was fine, two showers, two loads of dishes in the d/w, and misc. water usage in both sinks and the toilet.

We had a variety of weather. Wed, Thurs, were clear and nice. Highs in the 60's. Friday it rained. Sat was mild with some cloud cover. Sunday the wind blew so hard the bus was rocking. They closed the RV show down for fear that the big tent was going to blow out. We posted up in bluevost and watched both football games. Monday the wind was not quite so strong. Had a cross wind all the way home, but this bus handled it a lot better than my old Eagle would have. The coldest morning was Monday, 34 degrees at 6:00. Great campfires every night except Sunday.

This could be a fun place for an informal POG!!! We can talk about it at Kerrville.

garyde
01-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi Ken. Sounds like fun. I went last year , rented a Jeep and did some desert touring. Lots of places to go out and around town. A Very Weird bunch of Swap meet folks and stuff. Did you visit the book store with the G -string proprioter? There were over a hundred vendors at the big tent, similar to a FMCA Convention as well as many RV,s for sale.
If someone has not been there, you have to go at least once. The place is a Ghost town after March. :eek:

dalej
01-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Ken, we have been there a couple of times. We stopped in on the ride to Baja from Lake Havasu, AZ.

For some reason I can't see a bunch of Prevost sitting around that place. :)