PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water

dale farley
06-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm curious as to what the general opinion is on the subject of storing water in our fresh water tank. As with many of us, I go for several weeks at a time without moving the bus except to back it out of the bus barn. Sometimes I leave water in the fresh water tank then sanitize the tank when I use it the next time. Other times I drain the water out of the tank.

What do most people do with your fresh water under these circumstances?

JIM KELLER
06-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Dale, since we are on well water at our house I will pass the water through the pressure system but not store it in the tank. Only time I let water sit in the fresh water tank is if it is city water with it's share of chlorine. I prefer my untreated, soft well water to city water but know better than to store it in my tank.

Gil_J
06-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Like Jim, I'm on well water at the bus. I have city water at the house, but not enough drinking water safe hose to reach the bus. I generally arrive after a trip with little in the fresh water tank. Depending on how long it's been since we last used the coach, I typically just fill the tank to no more than a 1/2 a tank before we depart unless we are going to be somewhere without water, which is seldom. I do occasionally sanitize the water system.

I seldom use tank water in the ice maker and always use city park water when available. We don't drink the water in the bus, but do use it for everything else, including brushing our teeth.

I don't know what the right answer is but our procedure has worked with our boats and RVs. I think we have at least a couple of members with expertise in this area. Maybe, they'll chime in.

jack14r
06-01-2015, 06:52 PM
I use city water and store it for months.

Richard J Warren
06-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Put a tablespoon of household bleach in your tank, that will treat about 500 gallons and last over a year.

JIM KELLER
06-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Richard, any negative affects on o rings, water pump, etc. Probably not based on the small volume of bleach.

dale farley
06-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Since I am on well water also, I drained my tank the last time I added water from the well. Maybe I should have just added a little bleach and left the water in the tank. We don't drink the water from the tank but use it for virtually everything else. Probably 95% of the time when using the bus, we are connected to city water, except when actually on the road.

garyde
06-03-2015, 12:54 AM
Àfter having to replace my aluminum waste tank, I felt it was a good idea to use a filter when filling my freshwater tank. I thought the water with its minerals might be having a corrosive effect. well water would be a issue also because you wouldn't know if a Rv park had well water unfiltered.
You can purchase a tank sanitizer from camping world which works well. I remove my filters and by pass my reverse osmosis system before using.

JIM KELLER
06-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Gary I remember the photos you posted of that job. Looked overwhelming.

Grizz
06-03-2015, 11:01 AM
My and other's comments on fresh water storage are here: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?8175-Fresh-water-tank-when-storing-your-coach!

I'm too lazy to type it all again.

JIM KELLER
06-04-2015, 06:37 AM
Thanks Grizz, it was nice to read that again.

dale farley
06-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Grizz,

I had forgotten about your previous post, but it does address the topic very well. Thanks