PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter

dale farley
05-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Can someone tell me the # of the oil filters on the Series 60 engine? I need to order a case, but I'm in Alabama and the bus is in Florida.

Mikee
05-18-2015, 09:11 AM
The Detroit Part number 23530573

Mikee

dale farley
05-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks Mikee.

dale farley
05-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Anyone have a strong preference of one of these filters (Donaldson, WIX or Detroit) over the others for the Series 60 engine oil filter application? I realize that it is easier to say, "just go with the OEM", but that may not necessarily be the best for every application. I've been impressed when I've seen the demonstrations on Wix filters. I've also used the Donaldson for numerous applications and never seen or heard of a problem with them.

Any of them can be ordered from reputable dealers at reduced prices ($10-$16 each) when ordering a case of 6. After recently watching a program on TV about counterfeit parts being sold as OEM parts, I don't think I'd want to order something this important from eBay, Amazon or an unknown seller.

Mikee
05-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Wix, Fleetgard, Donaldson are all good filters as well as some others

Bruce Kaltenbrun
05-19-2015, 08:32 AM
My Prevost manual shows part #25014505 for oil filter. On another note after my transmission problem in Houston this past winter, I was told by Allison dealer that several times when they have taken Allison transmissions apart, that after-market filters were collapsed causing a poor flow of fluid to back of transmission. After market filters may have better filtering, but were not designed by Allison. We were told to use Allison filters.

dale farley
05-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Bruce,

I too, am even more concerned when it comes to the transmission filter. I changed mine last year and switched to Transynd fluid. I purchased these items from an authorized DD dealer. I don't mean that I think my transmission is more important than my engine, but I do think the filtering system is more critical.

I do also agree with Mikee that Wix, Donaldson and DD all sell quality filters. If they actually manufactured a defective or sub-standard filter for use in commercial equipment, I would expect the customers to point this out in a very short time frame. I suppose it is possible that any brand of filter could collapse under certain conditions, but a substandard model should quickly come to the surface. As we all know, a cheaply made product is never a good deal.

I assume the 25014505 # is an earlier or later version of the 23530573. They are both used for all Series 60 engines after December 1992 and the cross reference numbers are the same to other manufacturers. The 23530573 seems to be a more popular # at this time.

dale farley
05-19-2015, 06:08 PM
I ended up ordering a case of Wix filters from Discountfleetsupply.com.

dale farley
05-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Kudos to Discountfleetsupply.com. I ordered the case of filters at noon yesterday and they were delivered 24 hours later. I paid standard FedEX shipping and did not request expedited handling of any kind.