PDA

View Full Version : Safety Issue Discovered

Jim Skiff
01-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Karl has posted on his blog at
http://www.zimmermancoach.com/?type=post&id=6 concerning generator exhaust systems. I thought it would be worthwhile for members to take a look as it appears a hazardous situation could occur.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Having a bus 22 yrs old with a gen with almost 5000 hrs this is a project I had planned to do.

Some questions

What is and where can we locate the BEST of both items in question. The stainless flex pipe and what would be the best insulation to replace with taking into concideration BOTH fire prevention and sound?

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Wondering.:
Is the flexible pipe necessary to accomodate movement or could one have a custom fabricated SS system made up at a hi-perf. header shop?:confused:

Would an electric fan that runs in the compartment when the gen. runs be appropriate? :cool:

JIM

Joe Cannarozzi
01-26-2007, 10:51 AM
If the gen. is on a tray that slides in and out it may not be nessesary but it works pretty good for that application.

kmuller
01-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Joe and Jim - Regarding your question about the best products. We are researching that right now. There are a couple of interesting questions regarding the flex tubing. Beyond the obvious of the right grade of stainless, we have a real question as to where or not the repeated flexing as the generator slides in and out (for servicing) is actually part of this products "duty rating"? If so, what is the tubing manufacturer's specification for "duty cycles" and/or age limitations? There may be an ASTM specification here as well. Additionally, the manufacturer certainly will have a minimum radius (how tight the bend) that the tube is rated for. Does the installation meet the radius requirement? Most flex applications are a one time flex as the tubing is routed around an installation obstacle. We want to insure that the correctly rated product is being utilized in this critical application. It is the radius and repeated cycles that give us additional concerns. Once we have done some appropriate research, I will update you.

Your question regarding a fan in the compartment....the important issue is controlling the heat emmission properly. Done correctly, heat emission will not be a problem. This is where an infared pyrometer comes in handy. We need to know what the heat emission temp is, where are high temp indications coming from, and is it within the prescribed safety limits?

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Joe and Jim - Regarding your question about the best products. We are researching that right now. There are a couple of interesting questions regarding the flex tubing. Beyond the obvious of the right grade of stainless, we have a real question as to where or not the repeated flexing as the generator slides in and out (for servicing) is actually part of this products "duty rating"? If so, what is the tubing manufacturer's specification for "duty cycles" and/or age limitations? There may be an ASTM specification here as well. Additionally, the manufacturer certainly will have a minimum radius (how tight the bend) that the tube is rated for. Does the installation meet the radius requirement? Most flex applications are a one time flex as the tubing is routed around an installation obstacle. We want to insure that the correctly rated product is being utilized in this critical application. It is the radius and repeated cycles that give us additional concerns. Once we have done some appropriate research, I will update you.

Your question regarding a fan in the compartment....the important issue is controlling the heat emmission properly. Done correctly, heat emission will not be a problem. This is where an infared pyrometer comes in handy. We need to know what the heat emission temp is, where are high temp indications coming from, and is it within the prescribed safety limits?

My wondering about a fan was weather it would be impartant to have for moving air around in the gen. compartment to difuse CO and to keep the compartment at a higher pressure than outdoors to promote the expulsion of any CO leakage that might be present, thereby keeping it from leaking into the living area. I would have no intension of trying to cool with a fan!:cool: JIM

MangoMike
01-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Karl,

Good post as some of us tend to ignore the Genset, except for oil changes, as long as it's working properly. What does your company charge for a full Generator inspection as shown on the above post article.

Thanks

MIke

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Karl,

Good post as some of us tend to ignore the Genset, except for oil changes, as long as it's working properly. What does your company charge for a full Generator inspection as shown on the above post article.

Thanks

MIke

I'm glad. YOU asked that.

did I use right punctuation? JIM:eek: :)

kmuller
01-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Mike - we are very sensitive to our commercial presence on the forum, and do not want to be accused of exploiting this owners forum. However, as an organization, we have always endeavoured to add value and to constructively contribute to the markets we are privilaged to serve, hence our occasional posts here. If you would like to talk about the specifics of work on your coach, I feel better doing that off line. Please call me, or I would be happy to call you.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Mike - we are very sensitive to our commercial presence on the forum, and do not want to be accused of exploiting this owners forum. However, as an organization, we have always endeavoured to add value and to constructively contribute to the markets we are privilaged to serve, hence our occasional posts here. If you would like to talk about the specifics of work on your coach, I feel better doing that off line. Please call me, or I would be happy to call you.

Man. Your not only a gentleman and an engineer,but a diplomat as well!! :)

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Man. Your not only a gentleman and an engineer,but a diplomat as well!! :)

Yea, and so what is he doing talking with us :confused: :D

Karl, I really enjoyed our talk on the phone awhile ago. It sounds like your organization and you will really fit well in this group. :)

Jerry Winchester
01-26-2007, 11:13 PM
And I believe Karl has "The Knack"........