PDA

View Full Version : Towing Helicopters

Bill Dator
04-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Can anyone tell me if I will have to add additional support to tow my helicopter. See Pictures PS I don't know what it weighs13651

Reagan Sirmons
04-23-2015, 04:14 PM
I believe there are many others that might give a more precise answer but it is easier to overload a coach than one might realize. The 10,000 maximum load has been a good number even though a stacker with two cars blows that away from a weight standpoint and that is done often. From my view, a lot has to do with the trailer and how it carries the load and particularly its ability to handle itself and its load when stopping. I have carried a suburban in my 28 foot enclosed trailer and it was heavy but satisfactory. I do, however, have four wheel brakes on the twin axles and when I carry the Corvette, it is no issue at all.
I did not realize that the engine of the coach is cantilevered off of the back as it appears to be. That means to me that the hitch connections are not as strong as I thought.
Pres

Gil_J
04-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Bill,

I doubt you'll have a weight issue. I don't know what you fly. I looked up a Robinson R66 and it weighs 1,300 pounds.

Although seldom enforced, you will likely be over length in most states. FWIW, length limitations are enforced per state regardless of your state of residency.

JIM KELLER
04-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Talk about a mid life crisis. You just got a motorcycle ! I know you are teasing about the helicopter but if you keep it up Linda might trade you in.

travelite
04-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Perhaps the missus would be okay with a gyroplane instead. I'd love to have one:

http://www.bensendays.us.com/

Gil_J
04-24-2015, 11:31 AM
David,

You might be in luck. I'm guessing the US Capital will have one up for auction soon. You might want to paint over the US Postal Markings. I don't think the USPS was too pleased to see the unauthorized advertising.

dale farley
05-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Bill, If this Class C can pull this helicopter, I don't think you'll have a problem.