PDA

View Full Version : No shifter!

rickdesilva
04-15-2015, 03:42 PM
So I left Naples to head home, drove about 6 miles,stopped at a few lights. The next light I used the Jake to slow down (toggle switch with "M" on it). Stop at the light and when I go to take off she hardly moves. I look at the shift indicator and she's stuck in "5"th. So matter what I did she would not come out of 5th. So I got to the side of the road and turned her off and restarted her and she went in to neutral but would not go into gear. the indicator would only blink. So I sat for a while and let her idle and she eventually went normally into gear. We got on the interstate, she shifted fine except my speedometer was "bouncing" around for the first 15 minutes and then it stopped. Got to our destination (about 120 miles) without any problems but I didn't use the Jake as I thought that was the problem. Any thoughts before I head home to NJ tomorrow?

travelite
04-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Throttle position sensor??? Dump the transmission codes, but generally when the jake is coupled with shifting issues it's the TPS.

rickdesilva
04-15-2015, 10:54 PM
code shows engine speed sensor. I think I'll call Jax tomorrow and see if I can get in.

Gil_J
04-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Rick,

Call the nearest Florida Detroit/Allison shop. You certainly don't need to go to Prevost for a drive train issue.

I would have guessed the transmission's speed sensor or bad connection somewhere in the transmission's communications bus.

Best of luck,

JIM KELLER
04-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Trade it in. As Roger would say, " You Got The Money. "

Mikee
04-16-2015, 10:13 AM
The engine speed sensor for the trans in mounted on the bell housing. Check to be sure it is plugged in. I have seen severa lwhere the connector works loose. The speed sensor itself is not a high failure item.

Mikee

rfoster
04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
That's right Big Boy - Time to trade!!

I vote speed sensor. I had a similar issue on my 97 Liberty - Detroit Allison dealer took care of it in about an hour and under a 100 bucks.. Of course that was a few years ago.

You got the Gender of these buses correct. They are definitely like a woman.

Good Luck

rickdesilva
04-17-2015, 12:32 AM
Left Miami this afternoon and just stopped in S.Carolina. So far all is well. When I get home I'll make an appointment and get the speed sensor replaced and a trans service with the synthetic trans fluid.