PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox

dale farley
04-13-2015, 04:41 PM
I've seen several of the Slingbox units on sale, but I'm not sure what they actually do. I know at least a few of our members have used these units. What do they do for you, and what do they replace?

DickB
04-13-2015, 09:29 PM
We used to use a Slingbox a lot, but haven't used it a couple of years. It connected to our cable box in the house and to the internet in the house. Then if we were traveling and had a wideband internet connection, we could watch on the computer anything that we could have received with the cable box. WQe don't use it now because comcast provides pretty much the same thing without the need for a box.

JIM KELLER
04-14-2015, 06:13 AM
It is my understanding this unit allows you to watch your local shows, local news etc. while on the road out of your local area. Unlike Satellite TV which never allows you to see your home area coverage. If I'm incorrect I can be corrected and will be interested to learn.

Gil_J
04-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Dick nailed it. The downside is that you need access to a good high speed data link where you want to watch TV and you will burn through a lot of data watching TV. Most CG block streaming services, which is a good thing, so anticipate using your mobile data.

rfoster
04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Dale: All of the above responses are correct. I used it for a few years until we changed the local cable supplier then the Genie made it too difficult to use and so we just gave it up.. I have two of them in boxes somewhere if you need one.

dale farley
04-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Roger,

Thanks for the offer. From what everyone is saying, I would need plenty of data while using the box, and I don't always have that. I appreciate everyone's comments.

JIM KELLER
04-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Dale: All of the above responses are correct. I used it for a few years until we changed the local cable supplier then the Genie made it too difficult to use and so we just gave it up.. I have two of them in boxes somewhere if you need one.

Mr. Foster, I will take one of those if I can be included in your group air time.

rfoster
04-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Mr. Keller - you are the "in" group.

Alek: I am on the road now - when I get back I will check which models I have.