PDA

View Full Version : Lens for Yard Lights

dale farley
03-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know of a source for the lens for yard lights? The number on the lens is SAE R76 GM 1T. The outside dimensions are 6 1/8 on one side and 5 7/8 on the other. It is 1 1/2 inches wide.

Pete
03-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Dale, I bought some at one time from a Chevrolet dealer. If not, try LMC Truck.

JCarrollJr
03-25-2015, 10:26 PM
I think they are early '90s Ford Pick-Up cargo light. '91 sticks in my mind.

billbunch47
03-26-2015, 01:38 AM
Dale, Pete is right LMC sell them the whole light or just the lens and it wasn't a ford pare it was old chevy gmc. look on page 196, good luck. Bill

dale farley
03-26-2015, 09:30 AM
The LMC lens does look like the right one. I called LMC, but they couldn't give me the specs/size on the lens, so I'm not sure it is the right size. Has anyone ordered this particular lens before? It is the lens in the upper left corner of the page below. I hate to order 10 of them and not have an exact match.

Donnie Myers
03-26-2015, 10:01 AM
The LMC lens does look like the right one. I called LMC, but they couldn't give me the specs/size on the lens, so I'm not sure it is the right size. Has anyone ordered this particular lens before? It is the lens in the upper left corner of the page below. I hate to order 10 of them and not have an exact match.
It is the right one. They have some lenses in stock but no gaskets. I just placed an order for stock. We have been buying these for replacements for a long time.

I actually have a LED DIRECT REPLACEMENT FIXTURE that we had designed for us. It is solid billet aluminum chrome plated and fits the exact foot print it is 12 or 24 volt. It has over 1000 lumens and draws less than 1amp 12v. I have a proto type and my first production run should be in within the next two weeks. This fixture is not some cheap chinese piece. It is hand made here in Florida and uses high quality components for the LED and driver. I have not officially announced their release (I guess I just did...lol) so I thought I may just mention it here since we are on the topic. No more bulb change outs, no heat, three to four times brighter and looks amazing! I will have more info on them later.1362713628

Gil_J
03-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Donnie,

You beat me to it. I too was considering a direct replacement option that uses LEDs and didn't have the curve on the backside for the cab of the pickup. Instead, at least for now, I took the cheap route and probably have about the same light output as yours.

Okay, many will be looking for pricing. I hope you have a discount for a "whole coach" package. Given you didn't go offshore for production, I'm guessing the pricing may be a bit much for some older coaches.

Donnie Myers
03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Donnie,

You beat me to it. I too was considering a direct replacement option that uses LEDs and didn't have the curve on the backside for the cab of the pickup. Instead, at least for now, I took the cheap route and probably have about the same light output as yours.

Okay, many will be looking for pricing. I hope you have a discount for a "whole coach" package. Given you didn't go offshore for production, I'm guessing the pricing may be a bit much for some older coaches.

Yeah, mine are flat and made to mount on a flat surface. Mine will definitely not be for everyone as that is not the market we are in. Our lights, lenses and all components are made to last. As you know, there are a lot of inferior foreign LEDS on the market that will fail and can actually be hazardous. This is why we have designed and built interior ceiling and now exterior LED lighting. These will retail for around 255.00ea.

Donnie Myers
03-26-2015, 10:37 AM
It would be interesting to see them side by side and compare output as well as longevity. LMC is kinda hit or miss with parts for these lights. We went for over a year and they didn't have anything for them. I expect at some point they will run out and not restock. The problem with sourcing these lights from overseas is quality and the fact it's hard to get LED's that look the same color temp over time as they use whatever cheap components they can get at the time. Since these are on the exterior of the coach and stick out like a sore thumb, we wanted something nice that would actually enhance the coach. The way the light mounts, it can be mounted about anywhere.

Gil_J
03-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Donnie,

As for light output, my cheapo fix hits my targets dead on. I have room for 3 24 LED panels in the lens. For me, one panel is perfect in the near ground level lens and 2 panels for the over the wheel well lens. As for longevity, I won't hold any hope that my buck a panel Chinese LED panels will come anywhere near the life of yours; they really are "Cheapos" put together to for what I wanted to achieve at the time--not intended to be a permanent solution.

If time wasn't factors, I would use a few CREE LEDs as they, so far, appear to have the best quality control and longevity. I would design the housings to have a bit more down angle and given the move to LEDs, I would manufacture then to have less standout from the coach. But no need to go down that path; you already have.

There's no doubt your purpose-made lights will be winners! It pleases me every time I see someone build replacement items to enhance or extend the life of our coaches, especially those of us with the XL series. It's even better when the replacement product is equal to or better than the original. Based on your pictures, your billet aluminum beauties would seem right at home on any Prevost. Thanks!

dale farley
03-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks to all. Since I have changed my bulbs to LEDs, I ordered 10 new lens.

Donnie, Those are some very nice looking lights.

Donnie Myers
03-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Donnie,

As for light output, my cheapo fix hits my targets dead on. I have room for 3 24 LED panels in the lens. For me, one panel is perfect in the near ground level lens and 2 panels for the over the wheel well lens. As for longevity, I won't hold any hope that my buck a panel Chinese LED panels will come anywhere near the life of yours; they really are "Cheapos" put together to for what I wanted to achieve at the time--not intended to be a permanent solution.

If time wasn't factors, I would use a few CREE LEDs as they, so far, appear to have the best quality control and longevity. I would design the housings to have a bit more down angle and given the move to LEDs, I would manufacture then to have less standout from the coach. But no need to go down that path; you already have.

There's no doubt your purpose-made lights will be winners! It pleases me every time I see someone build replacement items to enhance or extend the life of our coaches, especially those of us with the XL series. It's even better when the replacement product is equal to or better than the original. Based on your pictures, your billet aluminum beauties would seem right at home on any Prevost. Thanks!<label for="rb_iconid_14">http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/images/icons/icon14.png</label>

Reagan Sirmons
03-31-2015, 04:49 PM
I replaced all 12 of my exterior bay "docking" lights with two "24 Diode" LEDS in each light...set up like Gil... and I thank him again for the help... they are fantastic and look great!. I do not know how long they will last either but I am comfortable with the exchange and the quality. It looks like a neon sign in the RV park... but that is ok too. It really upgraded the coach. I replaced all 35 interior lights with the round "9 diode" LEDs and they are excellent as well......may be too bright for some at first but after you turn them on a couple of times...it looks like a new coach interior.
From my limited view, this exchange project is sometimes more than you might envision...so be certain you have a solid idea of what is involved. I got help from a professional hobby shop with the creating of the lighting brackets that fit the LEDs into the light housing....... looks just like the picture Gil has posted earlier in this thread....but that is the way to go... hard wired all the way.
Pete Petree is into this as well ...and, of course, he is recreating and rebuilding the whole bus last time I checked.
Pres

dale farley
04-04-2015, 11:09 AM
I received the new lens for the yard lights last week, and there is a drastic improvement over the old ones. Cost $9.80 each from LMC Truck which is cheaper than purchasing used ones from eBay.

Pete
04-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Dale, Gil said you found LEDS to fit the older bayonet style fixtures (simular to the 1156). If so, could you share the vender land the p/n for the bulbs.
Thanks.
Pete

dale farley
04-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Pete,

I orderd some of both of these. I like the first ones better than the second.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131314171471?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221486514454?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Gil_J
04-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Dale, didn't you use a led fixture that had the LEDs on a panel attached to the automotive base for your yard lights?

dale farley
04-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Gil, I used the bulbs in the first link above. I didn't have any on a panel.

Pete
04-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks Dale, I'll check them out.

JIM KELLER
04-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Dale, My lights have festoon bulbs in them. Are yours different ?

dale farley
04-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Jim,

Mine are the twist lock like 1156 or 1142. I was really sure of that, but now you and Gil are making me wonder about it. It is possible that mine are 1142 bulbs that are still the twist lock type. Pete says his are 1156. If they are 1156, then one of the first two I posted will fit. If they are 1142, then, this one will fit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201137947927?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I ordered 3 different bulbs for my tail lights, signal lights and yard lights. They were all the twist lock type. The first two I posted above are both for 1156, just a different manufacturer.

I would just go out and check, but I'm in Huntsville and the bus is in Pensacola. I do know that I don't have any of the festoon type and don't have any of the panel type. Mine are either 1156 or 1142 style bulbs.

Pete
04-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Well, I just went out to the bus and checked my bulbs.... they are stamped t 89 china 7K. Now what? When I looked without removing the bulb it looked like an 1156. I will have to compare the t 89 and an 1156 for physical size, and go from there.