PDA

View Full Version : Aching hands after driving for while?

Grizz
02-18-2015, 10:09 AM
My hands ache while driving the coach. Probably from holding the wheel too tight or in a particular position. I tried changing positions, but the one that is most comfortable to me is the position that causes discomfort in my hands and an occasional piercing pain up my wrist and arm. My doctor suggested that truckers probably have the same problem. So, I went online and found that it's quite common for truckers. There is a glove especially designed to resolve the problem and it seems to work (so far), but I haven't driven a long haul with them yet.

They are Qwi gloves available here: http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/ProfDrivingGlove.html

FYI: I ordered a Large and an Extra Large, but didn't see much difference between the two. I'm 5'9" and 180 pounds and the large are perfect. ($20 a pair plus $5 shipping by mail) They seem to be of pretty good quality.

Reagan Sirmons
02-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Griz,
We don't need distractions while driving but my experience with these types of maladies suggests that the regular use of a "squeeze grip" while not underway or occasionally while underway may strengthen the grip and refresh the muscles in the hand / wrist assuming you do not have some form of arthritis.... I am not a Doctor but as the ad on TV says "but I did spend the night in a Holiday Inn" so must have unusual powers... seriously, I play advanced racket ball and have to continue to always strengthen my grip... I use various things among them being the squeeze grip... it works for me....but I understand the frustration...
Pres

JIM KELLER
02-19-2015, 08:08 PM
A long time ago an old Bus Driver taught me how to hold the wheel. Until then I was holding the wheel with both hands, tightly and at 10 & 2. He showed me his grip and I have used it ever since. I hold the wheel at 7 & 4 with my thumb and fore finger. The grip is very light, letting loose often. The reason for the 7 o'clock position with the left hand instead of the 8 o'clock position is because the left hand is often on the button controls of cruise control, jake brake, resume, etc. and the distance from the wheel to the buttons is short. I amuse myself by letting go of my light finger grip to see how long the Bus will continue to steer straight without attention. I suspect most drivers over drive their Bus by holding the steering wheel too tight. Try this and you will be surprised how much less stress you will feel in your hands, back, neck and arms.

Grizz
03-07-2015, 07:33 AM
The gloves I mentioned actually work to eliminate the aching in the palm of my hands.