PDA

View Full Version : Tires, tag axle placement

Grizz
01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
This week I was at Prevost in Jacksonville getting some maintenance done and John pointed out a rip in one of my tag axle tires on the inside. Surely, it would have blown if driven any further. It was a stroke of luck that it didn't blow on I-95 on my way from Melbourne to Jacksonville.

There's been considerable talk about blow outs of tires placed on the tag that have been on the steering axle. I'm not sure how long this tire was back there, but I know it originally was on the front. Strangely the opposite side tire was fine.

Unless visually inspected prior, one would never have known until it blew while driving.

dale farley
01-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Grizz, What is the date on the tire? Must be pretty old.

Grizz
01-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Dale:

The tires were late 2010. Don't remember the week! They were put on the tag sometime the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013. (The other six tires were dated 4112.) I put 2 of the 4112 tires on the tag and new tires on steering axle yesterday.

John at Prevost Jax didn't think it was any kind of road damage. There are several splits around the perimeter of the sidewall like what's shown.

Gil_J
01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Grizz, call Michelin. I spoke to another POG member that had tires about the same date as yours and Michelin replaced them all. There may be a reason Michelin's of our size weren't available for several months. It could be they had a tire manufacturing issue they needed to resolve. This is purely speculation.

Grizz
01-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks Gil:

I just bought two new tires and left that one and it's mate there for John to make use of. It wasn't worth the hassle of getting Michelin involved. I just wanted to get out of there and get home. I'd been there three days, plus Sunday! :-)