PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV Mount

Gil_J
01-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Well, I finally got around to mounting my new 40” LCD TV in the living area. This was a much bigger job than I had anticipated, but it is coming along well.

Country Coach, like most converters in the 99 timeframe, was mounting the forward TV above the driver’s seat. This space doesn’t allow for the direct replacement of a large screen TV. The largest that will fit in the enclosure is probably 30” or so. The previous owner upgraded the TV to digital, not HDTV, and opted to mount the TV in front of the TV enclosure. This was great for hitting my head when getting up and the location didn’t work well for those sitting on the driver’s side couch.

While on our way back from Alaska we replaced the dated couch with a double recliner couch and installed the new 40” LCD TV on the cabinet across from the couch. Although this worked, it was only wired for OTA TV and it blocked one of the opening side windows. I knew that at some point I wanted it mounted high in the same area.

The first challenge was to determine how to remove the window framing installed by CC. That wasn’t too hard after hidden screws were uncovered and I realized that the inner most vertical panels were glued to the main panels. With the window framing taken down for the first three windows it was time to evaluate how to mount , power, and cable the TV.

Mounting wasn’t that difficult. I used steel angle to form horizontal mounting points for the TV mount. These were bolted to the Prevost structural supports between the windows. It took some time to accept the right mounting height while maintaining a near parallel TV angle to the viewing position from the couch. I was concerned with radiant heat on the back of the TV from the window. To reduce the heat I installed standard residential rigid insulation board that rests between the TV and window. Window heat is carried above the TV so the back of the TV is kept cool.

I destroyed the outer vertical trim panels when removing them. The adhesive splintered the plywood panels. That was no big deal as I was using this project to change out the rope lights around the windows and to change out the dated material coverings. Rope lighting would also be replaced that illuminated the ceiling from the upper horizontal trim panel.

As you can see, the material has all been changed out and the lighting is now LED strip lights. The window frame lighting is gone and replaced by a downward directed light strip on the horizontal panel. AV cabling runs behind the upper horizontal trim panel to the AV equipment located in the over the windshield cabinet. Power was taken from the power that was already there for the wall sconces. I also rewired and moved the center surround sound speaker so the passenger side of the coach is now the front for surround sound.

I have more windows framing to complete, but so far I’m pleased with the results. I am going to take the cool white LED light strips out and replace them with warm white. The cool white is just too bright and white for me. I was going to just install a dimmer, but decided the color also needed to change.

This was all done with standard hobbyist equipment. Although a larger table saw would have been beneficial, it wasn't necessary.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
01-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Gil, you are doing a great job here. I wish that you would somehow get Ed in to doing a few of the window lights as you have done. Maybe I might just have to have him come up to your house and you give him some "kick in the butt support". Motivation might help. Of course, living in a condo now, there isn't anywhere for tools and "junk" to lay around. HA! Thank Goodness!!!
We sure enjoyed seeing everyone while at Parliament. Of course when there is a Rally,the weather always turns solo cold and you really can't sit out and enjoy all.
Sandy

dale farley
01-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Great looking job Gil. If you didn't like the previous owner's configuration, maybe you should have tried changing the TV using the life time warranty you got when purchasing the bus!

tradewinds
01-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Gil - looks like you're having fun! Another way we've converted this style Country Coach is converting space where existing TV is above driver to storage. Remove two cabinets to right of existing TV and install 42" TV there. Countersink TV so it only sticks out an inch or two. Divert AC if needed to left of new TV.

Enjoy!

-Kyle

Gil_J
01-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Kyle,

My other choice was on the far right above the windshield. A 42" TV easily fits here with no interference to walking through the door. For us and our layout we don't have to turn our head to watch TV.

The good news is we have options :-)

travelite
01-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Wow Gil, the result is phenomenal! I love what you did with your window drapery uphostery; its a great improvement. Tell us more about the led strip lighting. Does it run on an assortment of input voltages? Can I hire you or trade for website development, or DC converter work, or FEA work? :)

JIM KELLER
01-18-2015, 07:17 AM
I have personally seen this upgrade and it is Professional !

Jamie Bradford
01-18-2015, 08:29 AM
That looks Great !!!