PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Denver-new member

CPZ
12-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Hello POG~I bought my first Prevost in August, 2014. It's a 2003 Angola XLII. This is not only my first Prevost but my first "RV". ! I have had some fun with my new coach and also had some struggles so far. I am looking forward to the time that the fun makes up more of my get-a-way than the struggles. I need to prove that RV really doesn't stand for ruined vacation.

I would appreciate any information you all have with regard to Angola coaches, specifically what might be draining my chassis battery as I have a dead coach again after storing since the end of October. I also have an issue with my interior lights-only the rear 2/3 of the coach work. Checked the relay and the breakers and nothing is wrong there. I need to replace the water pumps-one is dead and the other is on it's last legs…suggestions? And finally, (for now) what is the purpose of the aux air compressor in the front compartment on the drivers side? I have a Junair compressor but it isn't working well and I wonder if I need to replace it sooner than later…but I just don't know what it is for?

I am in Denver CO and own a construction supply retailer which sells all the major brands of power tools, hand tools and generators. Let me know if I can cut you a deal on anything you need.

If you are in the area please let me know and you are welcome to overnight in the parking lot at the store-nothing fancy, but it's better than Walmart if you just want a place to stay.

Gil_J
12-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the world of Prevost ownership. Not only have you discovered the best ride in the RV industry you have a product that should seldom leave you with a ruined vacation. These are complex, but really no more so than any high-end traditional coach. The only complexity is figuring out how the subsystems are installed and configured. Some converters hold this information much closer to the vest than others. I'm not sure how much Angola provided with their conversions. Support is still available from Panterra Coach and I'm sure others.

Your chassis batteries shouldn't drain that fast. From the factory, there just aren't that many parasitic loads. If your chassis batteries are good, then you will need to see what converter loads have been tapped from chassis batteries. This could be as simple as looking for an added wire on the chassis battery. You may elect to not to chase the drain and just opt to install a chassis battery charger or an intelligent battery combiner, if your house bank is 24V. You might want to turn off the 12V and 24V chassis battery switches and see if the batteries still have a drain on them. Some owners turn these switches off if their coach is being parked for an extended time.

Welcome,

dale farley
12-29-2014, 08:38 AM
Chris,

Welcome to the POG family. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Don't despair because you are having to do some repairs. Most any coach will need some things to bring it up to par. Once everything is up to date, the routine maintenance will be much easier and less stressful. POG will serve as your lifeline. Most any of the systems are serviceable without having to depend on the original converter. I have owned three Prevosts (Marathon, Country Coach and American Carriage) and have only purchased parts from the converter one time in the last 8 years. Sometimes the Converter or Prevost will pleasantly surprise you with their prices. I replaced the shocks on mine a few months ago with original parts from Prevost @ $44 each.

How old are your chassis batteries. If they are sealed lead acid, under ideal conditions with normal use, you can probably expect 4-5 years service. In my American Carriage, the Junair provides air to my step slide, dinette table, slide air locks, step slide, air operated doors, front bumper release, gray and black water drain valves and the fan belt tensioner. If they have been setting around not and being used or frequently charged, the life will be much shorter. I assume you have 4 batteries. If one of the four is bad, it will affect all, so you may want to check each one individually after charging. If one is bad and they are over a year old, you will need to replace all four.

The Junair compressor provides air for any of the auxiliary air systems in the coach, such as the step slide, air operated doors, some commodes, some bed lifts. It will also pressurize the aux air system to tighten your fan belts before starting the engine. I don't know what you have inside the coach that depends on air, but there are a few things. When you start the coach, the engine air compressor will also pressurize those systems. Junairs are nice expensive compressors, but they do come with their own set of problems. They are prone to using oil, so you really have to watch the sight glass and make sure it stays at least half full on that glass. You can order the special oil for about $45 for 20 oz. Don't use regular compressor oil. The compressor can be rebuilt, but it is expensive. When mine goes bad, I am replacing with a more conventional and much cheaper unit.

Do you have any schematics of your wiring for the light circuits? We have some excellent techs on the site, but a schematic or diagram will be most helpful in diagnosing the problem.

If you get a chance, send us a picture of your water pump. Most can be replaced with any conventional pump for around $100. I carry a spare Shur Flo that I purchased for $66. Mine came with a pump that weighs about 30 lbs and is the size of the engine alternator, but it is definitely overkill for what I really need.

jetart
12-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Hi Chris,

I have a small handheld battery load tester that I find very useful. Just because a battery is fully charged with a volt meter does not mean that it can handle a load. The load tester will tell you right away the status of your battery load capability. I have the same problem as you - even with my master switch in the off position my start batteries will drain over time. Same with my 12V generator start battery. Until I find the source of my problem(s) I have opted to wire in small battery tenders for both the 24V start batteries and the 12V generator start battery. When I'm hooked to shore power they are always monitoring and charging as needed. My method is probably not 100% correct way to do it (long term) but my coach is always 100% ready to go.

I would but Angola would have really good electrical schematics available (if you don't already have them) which should help you figure out the lighting issue (and possibly the battery drain. If you don't have them I'd get a copy.

Good luck
Dan