PDA

View Full Version : 1995 xlv marathon series 60 coach batteries

Busnutt
12-20-2014, 12:45 PM
I need to purchase new coach starting batteries anyone have any recommendations?:confused:

dale farley
12-20-2014, 01:54 PM
David,

If your batteries are where you can get to them to check the water level periodically, you may want t consider heavy duty wet cells. I've always used the wet cells and you can get them at auto shops or Battery Source at reasonable prices. Mine usually last about 5 years. AGMs are your other option.

Busnutt
12-20-2014, 04:51 PM
all my batteries are AGMs including the house batteries. I was thinking on replacing them with heavy duty maintenance free batteries . would you think there would be problem with that! I was told never use a lead acid battery because of the corrosion and the damage it cause to the electronics. your thoughts,, that's why I was think of the maintenance free sealed batteries,

Busnutt
12-20-2014, 04:54 PM
my house batteries are fine and I am not replacing those yet. I just put a set of tires on which I knew about before I purchased it.

Gil_J
12-20-2014, 06:44 PM
IMO, AGM chassis batteries are a waste of money with little, if any, advantage over sealed wet cells. The chassis battery area is well ventilated.

Few converters provided an adequate battery box for wet cells to be used as house batteries. Gassing should be expected with wet cells as house batteries due to normal charging cycles after discharge, even after minor discharging. Gassing will cause corrosion of battery terminals, battery cables, and the battery storage housing.

To each their own and some will use AGMs as chassis batteries and others will use wet cell batteries for their house bank.

jack14r
12-20-2014, 07:00 PM
AGM batteries do not do well in high temperatures,so most coach owners use wet cells for the coach starting batteries.I put a remote therometer in the engine bay above the batteries and on a trip only recorded 135 degrees,I do think that temperature would be too high for AGM batteries over time.

Alek&Lucia
12-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Hi,

I just replaced last month my 4 Interstate starting batteries with new ones, always have a very good service from them in all my cars and toys,

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/interstate-batteries/interstate-batteries-31-mhd-31-mhd?dsNav=N~2147384903

Alek

truxton
12-20-2014, 11:50 PM
Part Number: BAT 7234 Product Line: NAPA Batteries

Attributes:Battery BCI # : BCI # 31S
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F : 1,000
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F : 1,200
Battery Load Test Amps : 500
Battery Posts Type : Top Mount Stud
Battery Reserve Capacity (Minutes) : 195
Battery Voltage : 12 Volt
Wet or Dry : Wet
Battery Application : Commercial
Battery Weight : 61.4 lbs
Contents : (1) Battery
Height : 9-7/16"
Length : 13"

I haven't had good luck with Interstate, always got a bad one in the batch. The Workaholic line I had didn't go 2.5 years. Another option could be these Napa's. A few of us put them in and we'll see. Couple dollars cheaper than Interstate

Later
bv

Pete
12-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Ditto Bernies post. My NAPA batteries have been in for 4 years in November. NAPA store's are in almost every city, and usually have batteries on hand. I have never had a host charger on my coach. NOW WATCH MY BATTERIES GO BAD THE NEXT TIME I TRY TO START IT!

rfoster
12-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Bought new NApa batteries a couple three weeks ago in Mississippi for 111.00 each. I ask for the " Ministers Discount". That didn't help much so I told them I knew Dan Smith. SAMs was higher than Napa.

Thats is ok Pete, you got the money!

Busnutt
12-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like NAPA it is. I will buy them after XMAS

Dick in Wisconsin
12-21-2014, 11:08 PM
I had four new Group 31 Interstates installed in April/May when I bought the coach and Jeff Rowe at Eastern Tennessee Luxury Coach zero'd the motorcoach out for us. In October I couldn't get the engine to start when it was time to hook up to the race trailer for last race of the season ... click, click, click. The last thing Jeff and I thought it would be was a bad battery. Tried using the 24 volt charger that Liberty has installed (aka "the boat anchor"). No luck. Presumed it was shot after 15 years. Bought a Guest charger and ran that for 37 hours, no luck. I pulled the four batteries out, called the Interstate distributor in Milwaukee who told me "you must have left the key on and/or have something "on" that is draining the batteries, the batteries should be good ... but bring them if you like". Dropped them off on Wed, called Monday and guess what! One of them was NO GOOD! It was replaced under warranty at no cost to me. But the event ruined a planned bus trip, and cost me a bunch of hours screwing around with things, about 40 hours of generator time (bus was down the street while we finished our new race shop and bus parking spot), and a new Guest charger. I probably would have bought the new Guest Charger eventually.

I've read since that NAPA and AC Delco battery buyers are happy with those products.

I wish the engine batteries were wired to heavy duty disconnect switches (like Cole-Hersey) and a grid to get the 12 and 24 combinations so that the disconnects can all be turned off, each battery isolated, and hence charged and load tested without unhooking them and removing them from the bus. But I presume the seated coach buses and big trucks have the same challenges.

Gil_J
12-22-2014, 07:36 AM
FWIW, a construction truck company owner with over 100 trucks said he stopped using Interstate Batteries due too several occasions where a battery failed that was less than 2 years old. The apparent failure was poor plate support.

Dick good luck with your Guest charger. If it's the same dual 12V out put unit used on several coaches I wouldn't leave it plugged in. I know of one tuyat caused a fire destroying a buss and two others that were melting when the coach owner unplugged them. Hopefully, Guest corrected whatever the problem was.

Alek&Lucia
12-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Is Prevost still using Interstates in their new buses when they leave the factory ?

Alek

Reagan Sirmons
12-22-2014, 01:43 PM
The Napa warehouse in Houston sells the Napa batteries to which you are referring for $93 per battery if you are an "institutional" account buying all four.... That can give the price range....$93 t0 $111... Each of the larger Napa stores generally has an institutional desk area.... I go there and talk to someone on the desk describing what I am seeking for a Prevost Motor Coach and asking their guidance as to quality, etc. even though I basically know what I seek...... invariably, I receive a complimentary discount without asking...when ever you are buying four instead of one... they will assist the pricing... at least that has been my experience... The man with whom I deal in Houston drives for an Indy race car driver who has a fairly new Prevost so we share a lot of information...they just put six of these $93 batteries in their coach... hope this helps...
Pres
Pres

JIM KELLER
12-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Napa batteries are made by East Penn. They are located in the Amish country of Pennsylvania and employ over 6,000 people. I think they are the the largest battery manufacture in the world. Interstate, owned by Johnson Controls closed their US manufacturing plant in 2009 and product is now made in Mexico. Both Interstate and Napa batteries are good products, just decide if you want a Mexican battery or one built by the Amish.

dale farley
12-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Good info Jim. I never knew that.

travelite
12-23-2014, 12:56 PM
I've had good success with these:

Napa 7235's:

Attributes:
Battery BCI # : BCI #31P
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F : 1,125
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F : 1,260
Battery Height : 9 1/2"