PDA

View Full Version : Installing Tile - Help Needed.

Lee Bornstein
01-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Am removing mirrors on Sink and Stove backsplash and will be installing ceramic tile.
http://www.trims.com/lee/imgp0479.jpg

Removed mirrors which were attached with construction adhesive to what appears to be 1/4" Luan mahogany plywood.
http://www.trims.com/lee/imgp0493.jpg

In deciding if I should use mastic or fortified thinset for mounting tile I found out that Luan is not recommended as a base for tile as it absorbs moisture and the bond will fail.

OK, logical solution is to remove the 1/4" Luan and replace with Hardy Board Tile Backer.

Now, herein lies my problem.
Plywood is attached to wall with both screws and construction adhesive.
How do I remove plywood without destroying my coach? Picture above shows screws around perimeter.

I have removed all screws, attached a drawer pull to plywood and tried to pull it off. No Luck. Don't want to add another layer on-top of plywood because tile will extend beyond Corian back splash.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Lee & Wife who wants tile... Now!
1997 40' Liberty Classic

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Lee, You weren't specific with dimensions, so I will give you an idea in a general way and you can figure the details for the specific requirements of fit and finish. Obtain a suitable wire mesh that meets your specifications and mechanically fasten it to the Luan. This will not be objectionally thick and will offer a good porous surface for your mastic of choice. Be sure to check your depth behind the backsplash when determining fastener length. You need to know if there might be wiring or ducting and just how far the outside wall is separated if at all!!

Ask a Pro, hire a union worker, they do it right.

:eek: JIM

Lee Bornstein
01-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Jim:
Did some more investigation and found that plywood is 1/2" rather than 1/4".

Corian edge extends 1/2" out from plywood so with 3/8" tile I've got room for metal lath, screw heads and thinset.

I'll go shopping today and see what I can find for metal lath.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Lee

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Lee, Another idea that comes to mind would be: Your deficiency is with the Luan plywood absorbing moisture and possibly de laminating etc.,etc.. You could scuff it up and coat it with epoxy (paint it on with a brush or roller). This would strengthen and waterproof the surface. www.westsystem.com
If you use this method I would apply two coats. Clean the surface with lacquer thinner between coats and after, scuffing also with coarse sandpaper such as used on hardwood floors. If you use a power sander be sure and not sand through. If you don't want to mail order the epoxy check out the large boating supply stores locally, or W W Grainger, or McMaster Carr.

I like the epoxy and recommend it to have on hand in a well equiped shop. It is adversey effected by ultravilot light. They have a special epoxy for uv exposure situations but you only need it if you don't want to cover it, such as with paint. When we were boat racing we used this stuff for many, many things. :) JIM

WEAR A DUST MASK : NOW KEEP HER HAPPY : GO GET HANDY :D

rmboies
01-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Lee and Jim,

As one who suffers from extreme allergies to things like paint, epoxy, any strong possible toxic odor, I would certianly recommend doing this in a very well ventilated area. Exhaust fans would help. You will also have a lingering odor from the paint and the odor may actually absorb into pourous fabrics so please keep all of this in mind. Jim's idea is a good one, I just felt I needed to point out the toxic fume part:eek:

On a side note, what kind of boat racing did you do Jim? I suppose the thread police will give me a ticket but I am asking anyway:D

jonnie
01-24-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey Jim,

I live just up the road from you in Concord and I also raced offshore boats.

Small world.

John Knollmaier

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Lets see, If I work this all together the thread police won't notice. ;) Yes I agree with the venting and it is necessary. I over look some things like that. I feel that there are certain basic things that are assumed to be known by someone when they are asking questions at a higher level than, is it allright to pound a nail with pliers. My wife Barb and I raced as a team ( driver, throttle) in offshore races in the mid 80,s. The odor of the epoxy is not objectionable perse. I don't think it would linger in the furnishings any more than construction adhesive or contact cement. The user should wear Protective gear according to the manufacturers direction. We had a 24' catamaran "Skater" with twin 265 hp. Mercs. Flying mile in ideal conditions 101 mph.. The races where we competed were around 70 / 80 mi. long and usually took about an hour, only did fresh water under APBA sanction. Todays boats are much larger and faster (technology) unlike me. Much smaller and slower. :D I assume this is Debi.
JIM

I might ask you with the sever allergys how do you tolerate the horse barn and dog kennel environment?

rmboies
01-24-2007, 05:19 PM
; I might ask you with the sever allergys how do you tolerate the horse barn and dog kennel environment?

Ha, you assumed correctly Jim, Bob-00 reads the forum sometimes but does not type! Allergies are a funny thing--I seem to react more strongly to chemicals then anything else. Maybe that was because as a youngster, my Dad, twin brother, Uncle and cousin, built small one man hydroplane boats from a popular mechanics plan in our basement:rolleyes: I can still smell the fiberglass and epoxy to this day. Then again, it may have been from growing up in a suburb of Akron:eek:

I don't have a dog kennel (do have three dogs) but I do have a barn and yes, sometimes the pine shavings we use do bother me. But lucky for me, I have no allergies to the horses, much to Bob's dismay.

I admire you and your wife's bravery racing 24' cats with those mercs. We used to have a boathouse in Sandusky and had the "safer" Cigarette boats. Bob loved it, I closed my eyes a lot. Now we just have a beautiful Prevost that sits in Bob's building waiting for a roadtrip:confused:

Oh, and to keep this on thread topic, Lee, please send photos of the gorgeous tile work when it is completed. Are you planning on using the small mosaic tiles are larger squares?

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Ya Debi, I did the hydros too. The 145 class,the Ohio river, New Martinsville,WVA: Detroit,Mi: Grand Lake St. Marys, Celina,Oh. The old Ford V8 60 engine. That was a lifetime ago in the early 60,s. I kinda lost my nerve. :eek: I just want to watch now!! :D JIM

I am inclined to think you found Polyester resin and fiberglass objectionable and not epoxy.

Keeping it legal:
Lee, I think some tile will look quite nice and be much easier to keep up than the mirors. JIM

Lee Bornstein
01-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Debi:
Using small beige Mosaic tile with inset deco piece and twisted rope trim.

I will post pictures as project progresses.

Lee

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-25-2007, 09:06 AM
" Lee and wife who wants it done now", You got that done yet!! :D:D JIM

Lee Bornstein
01-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Tile comes in tomorrow.
Metal lath is ready for 1st coat of thinset.
Tile goes on this weekend.
Honeymoon Monday!!!

Pictures to follow (not from the Honeymoon).

Lee

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Auh shucks, You had me goin there for a min. JIM:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Lee, As a full timer, where do you perform your bus work?

Lowes and Home Depot, parking lots or what.

Maybe you have a bus garage/shop.

Fill me in as I am working toward full timing and have found that campgrounds and RV parks have restrictions. :confused: JIM

Lee Bornstein
01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Jim:
I own a lot at Outdoor Resorts Las Vegas. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".

Can do most anything on coach other than put it on blocks and remove engine and Drive Line.

Our HOA doesn't put too many restrictions on what we can do on our own lots. We did just finally get approval to wash our own coaches though.

Being on the HOA Board of Directors also helps.... but not too much.

Lee

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Jim:
I own a lot at Outdoor Resorts Las Vegas. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".

Lee

Lee: Peg and I flew out to Vegas and were out at your ORA property just before Thanksgiving last year. Beautiful place. :)

The addition to the club house, should be a big hit as well. http://www.lasvegasmotorcoachresort.com/

How often are you at the resort, or are you there full time? :confused:

Lee Bornstein
01-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Gary:
We're here at the resort from Sept thru May - Leaving earlier this year because of POG III.

Next time you're here stop by Lot 159 and say Howdy!

Lee

Lee Bornstein
02-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Well, finally finished the project.

Wife is now happy ---

Here are some pictures of the process
http://www.trims.com/pogstuff/project.htm

Lee

rmboies
02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Lee,

I can see why your wife is now happy, this is a lovely update and you did a fabulous job!

truk4u
02-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Nice job Lee!

BrianE
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Great job, Lee. With your skill, the floor should be easy. Wait til after POG III though. :)

BrianE
94Liberty XL

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, finally finished the project.

Wife is now happy ---

Here are some pictures of the process
http://www.trims.com/pogstuff/project.htm

Lee

Beautiful job. Thanks for the pic's. Save that notched trowel for when I need to borrow it :D I know no matter what bus I buy the boss will want the tile changed:). JIM

Ray Davis
02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Lee,

Great job. Can't wait to see it in person. We'll be out the afternoon/evening of March 9, leaving on March 11th. Taking the wife to see Celine Dion there in Vegas! Boy's are going to a Photography Convention during the day!

Lee Bornstein
02-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. Now it's "Miller Time"

Lee