PDA

View Full Version : Marathon dash area push switch lighting

Grizz
12-02-2014, 11:52 AM
The green, yellow, blue and red push switches that Marathon installs in and around the dash have lights in them - very dim lights IMHO. Has anyone tried and succeeded in making them brighter? It's impossible (for me) to see if they're on or off in the daytime and very difficult to read day or night. If so, please tell me how!

Jamie Bradford
12-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Good question - They are hard to see especially in the daylight…..

I remember being told that there is a "special tool" that Marathon uses to pop the covers of the switches -

Grizz - have you asked Leon if any other bulbs can be put in there to make it brighter???

Jamie

Joe Camper
12-02-2014, 03:06 PM
There is a dimmer control for those perticular switch lights marathon used for many years that was located on the bottom of the dash that was hiding fairly well.

I am sure of it on mid 90s marathon conversions but not sure on yours.

Look forward of your right knee on the underside of the dash small round black knob facing down.

I use needle nose pliers to pull the switch covers those work fine. Firmly squeese and pull. Same to then get the bulbs, needle nose pliers

Usually there r a few different illumini available for any 1 bulb.

Get a magnifying glass its written on even the smallest of bulbs and Granger often makes good results..

Grizz
12-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks!

I remember changing them on my 96 XLV Marathon because they were burned out.

We will be at Marathon TX on the 11th of this month and I'll discuss it with Gary. In the mean time I'll look for a dimmer.

Grizz
12-03-2014, 09:00 AM
I looked and looked, but cannot find a rheostat anywhere around or under the dash, to control the brightness of the switch lights. It makes sense that there should be one, but it's probably installed where it isn't easily accessible to the driver.

Grizz
12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
From Leon:

"Push and hold the Switch Lights on the side panel and that should brighten them up

There is no rheostat this is done by tech link"

It works, mine are now brighter! This is the same procedure as used to brighten and dim the house overhead lights.

Joe Camper
12-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Aint that sumthin.

Could u try to explain how it works again. You lost me.

And how do u dim them again?

Grizz
12-04-2014, 06:30 PM
This is the same procedure with TechLink to dim the ceiling lights: Push the switch to turn the lights on, but don't release it. You will see the lights brighten in steps (maybe 6 or 7 brightness levels). It's not linear! To dim, just hold the button again until the lights drop back to the first position (brightness). If you continue holding the switch in the cycle will repeat. I haven't played with either set of lights much because I just want them up bright and now that's where they're set, but the control switch lights are still not bright enough for me.

In summary, holding the switch in the on position causes TechLink electronics to cycle the brightness through multiple levels. Let go of the switch when you are at the desired level. They will stay at the set level until the cycle is initiated again.

I wonder how many Marathon owners don't know that all their ceiling lights as well as the colored dash mounted control switch lights are adjustable. There is nothing in the owners manual that I could find about it.

Joe Camper
12-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Plenty u can bet on it thats why I asked u 2 clarify that thank u.

I sure didnt.

Gil_J
12-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I bet some CC owners are with the Marathon owners that also aren't aware of the dimmers on some ceiling lights.

There's always something to be learned.