PDA

View Full Version : Old Fashion Power Hungry TVs

Gil_J
11-19-2014, 09:05 AM
As I look through coach listings I'm always amazed at how many still have the old tube type TVs that are incapable of receiving digital (ATSC) OTA broadcast. Most of these have digital converter boxes so they can get OTA reception, but why? Even the least expensive coaches listed are in the $150K range but the owners haven't spend a grand or so to upgrade their TVs...why? I've upgraded both of my TVs and done the same for others. It's not hard and it's not expensive. Yes, the cost can go up based on your desire to do more than an upgrade. Right now I'm moving a 40" LCD TV in the salon of my coach and it's becoming a bigger project than expected; aren't they all. But when it's done I will have the TV mounted where I want and will have changed out the rope lights and fabric surrounding all of the forward side windows. And yes, for many installations you will need a surround sound system or soundbar, if you don't already have one. None of the TVs you are likely to buy today have forward facing speakers.

I've also discovered that few have upgraded their OTA antenna and RF amplifier. Most of the digital channels have moved to the UHF band from the VHF band. Most older antennas are tuned to perform best in the VHF band as is the case with the RF amplifiers. The Jack antenna can be directly substituted for most batwing antennas for about $50 and 30 minutes of work. The amplifier change out is also very easy with the hardest part sometimes finding where the amplifier is currently buried.

Even those that don't want the expense of reprogramming their Crestron, I have to wonder why the method they likely control their AV gear at home isn't good enough for their coach. Fall back on using the remote and possibly having to install an IR extender for hidden AV equipment.

Just curious,

JIM KELLER
11-21-2014, 06:49 AM
I noticed no one responded to this Thread so I will. I still have my tube TV's. My Batwing antenna still goes up and down and all around. The converter box brings in most stations and the TV's show all of the picture, side to side and top to bottom. I like thinking the news people really look like that in person. I don't want High Definition to see their flaws. And.....I like looking out all my windows.

Somehow I'm not feeling the love on this one.

dale farley
11-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Well, I agree 100% with both of you. It is something that most of us can do or get done inexpensively compared to many other projects. The update does add some value and improves reception and the overall listening and viewing experience.

On the other hand, "if it ain't broke, why fix it". Many people don't watch TV that much, mainly news, etc, so why spend a few thousand to see the news a little more clearly. As with all electronics, the AV equipment will be out of date again in a few years any way.

In the spirit of being a peace maker, I recommend "Jim" pays "Gil" to update the AV in "my" bus. That should make everyone happy.

Gil_J
11-21-2014, 09:12 AM
As the silent minority, I'll sit back in my recliner, open a cold beverage and enjoy a good football game in HD.

Dale, didn't I help you throw away a 300 pound TV from the front of your bus?

Jamie Bradford
11-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Gil - this should be delivered here next week…..Can you come over & give me a hand ???

Thanks

Jamie

dale farley
11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Gil,

In my case, the upgrade was necessary to improve my MPG.

Gil_J
11-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Jamie,

The TV or the elephant? LOL

How about this. A roll down screen, maybe 14' x 8', that comes out when you open your awning. It drop down the side of the coach. On the end of the awning would be a HD projector. How cool would that be? Everyone could gather at your site for the game and cold beverages.

tradewinds
11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Gil,

If you had this setup you could sit back, crack TWO cold beverages, and watch TWO games in HD!

Dick in Wisconsin
11-21-2014, 10:43 PM
We still have the same TVs and antenna that came with our 1999 Liberty and haven't tackled a conversion yet.

What do I have to do to watch broadcast TV on the old style TVs? Can I do that with the existing antenna that I have? Or do I need a new antenna?

Thanks!

JIM KELLER
11-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Gil, It says invalid attachment when I try to open Tradewinds attachment. Does my laptop have tubes ????

Gil_J
11-22-2014, 06:28 AM
Dick,

Your TVs can not tune in digital (ATSC) broadcast. If you don't have one, you will need a converter installed in between each TV and the antenna. The Government was paying for these years ago. Today you can get them for about $40. I imagine you can find them on eBay for next to nothing. This converter is the tuner. So, to change channels you will be using the converter's remote or a programmed universal remote.

Your antenna will work. It just may not get all of the available channels. The antenna and its amplifier, if you have one, aren't tuned to the UHF were most digital broadcast are. Not long ago we did a side-by-side test with 3 coaches. The coach with the factory antenna and amp received less than a 1/4 of stations that mine did. Mine has the smallest omni-directional ATSC capable antenna. That coach got a Jack antenna replacement head and new amplifier. After this change it was receiving far more channels than mine due to its higher gain directional antenna. This cost less than $100 in parts.

In many cases, but certainly not all, a new LCD TV of adequate size will fit where the old TV is today. This was the case in my bedroom and in the fold down TV housing in a newer Marathon. I wanted more TV up front and didn't like looking to the side. So, I'm relocating the front TV and increasing its size from 20" to 40". New TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio screen size whereas the old ones were 4:3. That means a same size screen is much smaller today because they are measured diagonally.

Good luck and happy viewing,

Reagan Sirmons
11-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Gil,
When I saw your comment about the roll down screen, it made me think of a presentation at a meeting at the University of Texas Austin some time ago... I was amazed...
Regarding the "roll down" screen you were suggesting...as you know...that is a definite potential reality for a motor coach....if we have the bags of money to acquire it...
A few years ago, the University of Texas at Tyler, in concert with the United States Department of Defense, developed the computer that is part of a military person's shirt sleeve. It literally rolls up and can be rolled out....on the officer's sleeve...in color...just like you were suggesting about the roll down television. It is touch sensitive and has enormous capabilities. You probably already know all this but it was demonstrated to us at a meeting at the University. They developed the computer at the same time they developed the military "field tent" that has a roll out solar panel roof capable of providing a modest amount of electricity.

China, when they hosted the Olympics, used this same "computer/TV roll out concept" in their opening night when performers came into the arena and appeared to be making sweeping motions that remained on the surface on which they were performing. The entire arena was a huge computer screen that they literally rolled up at the end of the performance.

I just thought the comments about this might be of interest... there are so many of you that know more about this than I know but the technology is staggering to an economics major...
It could be that in the future, the television will roll down just like a window shade.
Pres

rfoster
11-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Gil. Every time I raise my "new" antennae installed by you I grin because I know if there is a tv signal to be had I am going to receive it. I have never regretted spending the extra $$ for the little signal finder either. Use it every time

Thanks again!

Gil_J
11-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Reagan,

Technology advancements made during times of armed conflict are always amazing. It's just too bad that the we tend to spend more on R&D during times of conflict.

I was once involved in some of those programs and I was always amazed at the results that came from a requirements definition. What was more amazing is how something was created of real use not previously being met and done so without a stated need.

You brought up the arm mounted flexible screen, which is really cool. Being a telecom guy, the more amazing part of that display is how information is delivered to it. There was a time when the network was a major factor in these kinds of systems. Today the network is simply expected to be there. It takes a lot more than the two geeks on the at&t commercial to develop and build an effective network.

Joe Camper
11-24-2014, 08:03 AM
I have seen solar fabrics. The back of curtins the flaps of womans purses ect ect.

Thought it would work on the top side of awnings very well. Have been surprised I havent seen more about the product seemed like it would be very appealing to the public.

Gil_J
11-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Joe,

Most solar systems can't pay for themselves. There okay if you are parked without power and need a trickle charger. Otherwise, unless you just want an alternative to fossil fuel, they don't make economic sense.

I'd like a see a total cost versus power generated chart for all of the alternative power sources. I think even the environmentally friendly folks will be surprised how long it takes before power generated from these alternative sources tips the scale in favor of these alternative sources. Many forget that these alternative sources cost big money, require elastic storage capabilities (batteries) in some cases, and require hazardous material mining and production (lead). I'm in awe of some of the large scale wind farms I've seen in the US and Canada. Each generator is expensive, most are shipped from Europe, they require a huge investment is transmission lines, and their on-going maintenance costs must be high.

Standing on my soapbox, I'll tell you I'm so disappointed that the DoE and the do-nothing Congress hasn't had the intelligence to approach nuclear power the exact same way they did when they formed the Tennessee Valley Authority. It was hydro then, nuclear now. Government funded and contracted nuclear power plants is the right approach. These plants would then be managed by commercial contractors. Again, look at the TVA and it's transformation into what it is today from what it originally was. Okay, I'll step down.

JIM KELLER
11-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Interesting. I always thought the TVA monitored only old fashioned hydro facilities. Belonging to POG is like advanced education.

Gil_J
11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Although the TVA does operate nuclear power plants, that's not what I meant to say. I was just suggesting that if the government approached nuclear power like they did hydro power we would, in my opinion, have plenty of safe nuclear power production.

I saw an interesting alternative fuels commentary today. A professor from MIT has developed a battery that cost 1/10 of what a lithium does. That's good, this is better. It can be fully discharged every day and still maintain 99% of its original capacity after 25 years in service. Those claims can change the amount of necessary power production we need from the grid. We don't have a power shortage today. Why we need more power is to meet demand times, not average use. These batteries could be installed in all buildings to cover the peak use times without increasing the demand on the grid.

garyde
11-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Natural gas. Its almost limitless and can power just about anything.

lbriant
12-07-2014, 10:18 PM
The large tv in the front of my bus isnt even a TV it is just a monitor?
Not sure how it even comes out it still looks great though,
Out side i would like a flat-screen mounted on a slide to drop down out of a open bay door, has anyone seen this set up?

coreygrubb
12-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Larry, we had the outside tv set up you want on our prev bus(2000XL). It was accomplished with a pair of HD stainless drawer slides and about 30.00 worth of c-channel and 2 button pins. Works great and takes no room. You can fit a 39'-42". You do need to move your strut rods to the lower hole on the bay door hinge. Geo.

Gil_J
12-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Larry,

I've seen George's mount on his last coach. It is a good option if you don't want or need the TV to swivel and the price is right. Here a couple of other options (click here) (http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/tv-mounts.html?page=5). The side and top mount slides may be another option. This company has many RV intended TV mounts.