PDA

View Full Version : New Liberties

Imre
01-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I had a chance to spend some valuable time checking out the new Liberties in Tampa. I find the styling and the fit and finish the best on their coaches.

Regarding the inverters, they have switched over to 2 Outbacks that can easily power 2 CruisAirs. This is very positive news. (Millenium and Thompson are also using the Outbacks).

They only do OTR coaches because "that is what their customers want". I agree with them regarding the "unstylish" looks of the roof airs. At the same time they are using the "little ears" awnings (as opposed to my favorite old style ZipDees) and the roof airs would not even be visible from the ground.

Can someone tell me why are the gell cell batteries still favored by them? I am interested in tech details.

Ben
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I noticed that Newell is using the same type of inverter that Millennium was using. The difference was that Newell used two and if I remember right, Millennium used four! Millennium was also using a different battery setup than anyone else I saw.

I also noticed how noisy the air conditioners were in most coaches (Newell and Superbus being the worst)... Libery was quietest since the compressor is under the bus instead of right by your head in the roof air units. I could still hear a lot of fan noise in the Liberty, but none of the rumble that the others had.

Liberty's interiors were very nice... their ceiling design kicked everyone else's butt. Marathon also had a coach with a very nice interior.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Even though I am a big fan of Liberty, I think powering the Cruise airs thru the inverters is just an exercise in being able to say they can do what the others are doing.

Maybe on a moderately warm day it might make sense to run a cruise air or two for comfort, but when it gets really hot the condensing units ain't going to like the heat boiling up off the pavement, so the OTR air will be the source for AC when traveling. Maybe I will learn why at the rally, but to me it makes little sense.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Jon, Wouldn't you want this setup if you were camping without electric power? Am I missing something here? JIM:confused:

Lee Bornstein
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Jim:
Running AC off the inverters?
You'd need six or more batteries to keep it going for any length of time then you would have to run generator all day to recharge.

Why not just run the generator and power the AC that way.

You get nothing for Nothing. You're gonna burn the diesel sooner or later to keep the coach kool.

Lee

Jon Wehrenberg
01-24-2007, 06:34 AM
It is not the placement of the condensing units that is the issue. It is the source of air for the units. They are ducted quite well, but the fresh air supply is picking up air near the ground. That is absolutely perfect when parked because the ground beneath the bus is shaded and may be cooler than air near the roof that is getting heated by the sun.

But when the bus is going down the road everything reverses with the roof area likely to have cooler air than the area down low near the road.

My vote is with roof airs if there is no OTR.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 06:57 AM
OK Lee, Got it now. "Pay me now or pay me later, but pay me." :D:D JIM

Maybe its for the Quiet "HOSPITAL ZONE" situation? :confused:

I'm trying to get this bus thing under my belt _ss backwards, like flying a plane with ground school only. I have heard it said the cheap man ends up paying the most, but I don't want to buy a first bus to learn on and then have to find the right one after the practical experience. That is why I ask so many questions. :o

win42
01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
We rarely drive more than two consecutive days from one shore power site to another. 90% of our time while in the bus is spent hooked to shore power. During our travel the dash air gets us through the morning and the generator using Cruise Airs's gets us through the rest of the days journey. As far as energy being consumed by the generator during these short travel periods and brief stays hooked to shore power, it is less than that used in our home while ocupiying it. These discussions provide the needed descriptions for those contemplating a new bus purchase and that is what we are about.
If you travel a lot like Ben does is one scenario and if you do the seasonal transfer like Lew does that's another. Most of us fit one or the other of these two uses of our Buses.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Harry, I will give you a +10 rating because I agree with you. :D :D JIM

truk4u
01-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Imre,

Sorry there's so many wild opinions and personal preferences, many of those formed by actual useage and experience. Sounds like you could teach the technical deficient converters how to properly set up their product.

6 8'ds won't get you through the night, even on one A/C. How do I know? I've tried one and two A/C's on the inverters, I know how long they will last and I don't even have a slide rule.

This is my non qualifiable, wild opinion and personal preference. Or it could be practicle experience and common sense.

matsprt
01-24-2007, 01:21 PM
imre,

I don't think anyone wants to unnecessarily lose components to "dirty power" but I'm not in line with you financial assessment of costs.

&quot; How expensive is that single 42&quot; plasma in the living room? $12K? Mine is new and was < $2000. Those TV Monitors continue to drop in price faster than MM and JDUB can say &quot;taco de pescado&quot;.

Computers ?? They are so dirt cheap now that it is depressing. Just bought some upgraded Monitors for < $300 each...

I think the priority would be the house batteries. Not only from a cost standpoint but from the sheer hassle of replacement.

Michael
Rated @ a discounted value of -35%

garyde
01-24-2007, 11:26 PM
What I don't know is wether Liberty uses any UPSs or other protection for Crestron and the other stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to go out toorrow and check the surge strips. I believe all of the 120 volt electronics in my coach has surge strips. All of the lighting controls runs off of the 120 volt systems thru the inverters/chargers . FYI on the lighting; Cresron is a Home A/V and lighting product which have Contractors and stores in most cities. No problem getting service or programming.
The new Country Coach Prevosts and the Millenium are using Lutron Homeworks, another Home lighting system.