PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressing

jello_jeep
01-23-2007, 07:56 AM
I have heard it said, that tire dressing or Armor All is good for your tires and keeps them from cracking, checking etc.

I have also heard it said that you should never put anything on them except for soap & water when you wash, and you should never put dressing no them.

What says the masses ??:confused:

dale farley
01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
I have been wondering the same thing about my air bags. I have been spraying spraying Armor All on everything I have that is made of rubber or vinyl for 35 years, and so far haven't seen a negative impact.

And yes, I spray my tires on all my vehicles every time I wash them. I too, have read that you shouldn't spray anything on the bus tires, but I don't see how Armor All can possibly hurt them. Maybe if you spray it so heavily that it gets on the tread!!!

Petervs
01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I prefer Thousand Island please!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I have heard it said, that tire dressing or Armor All is good for your tires and keeps them from cracking, checking etc.

I have also heard it said that you should never put anything on them except for soap & water when you wash, and you should never put dressing no them.

What says the masses ??:confused:

Here is another product similar to ArmorAll, but supposedly with better ratings from those that know ?

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428

Not an endorsement from me, even though I use it on my Excursion 4 x 4 at home, just a Friendly Post. :)

kmuller
01-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Michelin does not recommend any dressing that contains "harsh petroleum distillates or paraffinic hydrocarbons". That is the only prohibition for tire dressings we could find.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Michelin does not recommend any dressing that contains "harsh petroleum distillates or paraffinic hydrocarbons". That is the only prohibition for tire dressings we could find.

Karl can you be a little more specific, or please say in Plain English for me.:)

Would you use or may I use the 303 Products or Armour All on the tires without adverse effect on the tires?

Gary S

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Peter, :D Don't be too hasty here. Do you have accurate information that the soybean oil found in most ranch dressing is compatible with tire rubber and will not have a negative effect on it. I would think that with your treatment you would be inviting too much dog and cat activity around the vehicle! ;) Maybe you make your own dressing without the oil? I don't know what to say, not enough info given.
I have to give you a -5 for bad taste.
I don't like ranch. If you change to French I will up my rating to +5.
Sincerely:D JIM

I prefer Thousand Island please!

jello_jeep
01-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are!

I guess I am going to have to go read labels now! Sheesh..:rolleyes:

kmuller
01-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Gary - as we previously noted, there are some items that Michelin doesn't like...petroleum based products and wax. The challenge is finding out what is in a product. If you look at a bottle of Armor All, you'll find no ingredients listed. However, the goverment requires the manufacturer of virtually every product touched by a human to have a MSD (material safety data sheet). You can research them at http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov. ("http://householdproducts.nim.nih.gov") When you research Armor All for an example, the ingredients are silicon and water. Based on this info, you can make a decision on whether you want to use it or not.

jello_jeep
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Nice link Karl, I didn't know that one...!

garyde
01-24-2007, 11:06 PM
At the Auto Store, there are several great products for tire care. Armor All Tire Foam, Turtle Wax Tire Foam, NO Touch Tire Care, and McGuires Tire Care.

Ray Davis
01-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I have been told (perhaps it's just rumor) that Armour All attracts dust, and shortly after spraying and driving you have a very dusty tire. That's supposed to be one of the benefits of the tire products, like the ones mentioned by Gary ...

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't like the tire dressing for that same reason. It looks nice when you are all detailed out at the car show or whatever and shortly therafter all the attracted dirt looks worse than just washed and left alone. :eek: JIM

bill&jody
01-25-2007, 12:12 PM
lately, i've been trying out/using some stuff from turtlewax called F21. it claims to have some stuff that basically behaves as sunblock. still doing research tho.... it doesn't seem to collect dust afterward because it seems to dry/soak in.

anybody else seen this stuff?

MangoMike
01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I used to Armor All until I read somewhere where the ingredients were bad for the tires. Switched to Areospace 303 and am very pleased. Not only does it last longer, but when you place your hand on the tire to steady yourself while checking pressure or cleaning the wheels, your hands don't turn black. Tire black doesn't seem to have that oily sheen, only black.

Very expensive, about $65 gallon. The dealer told me it started flying off the shelves when BMW Mini recommended it for their tires.

mm

garyde
01-25-2007, 10:42 PM
The Tire Care products I previously mentioned dry to a hard sheen. They leave no residue nor attract dirt or dust. I think the Armor All Mango is refering to was the licquid in a spray bottle which is different . Gary

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Gary D: Mike is not referring to an ArmorAll Product, but the 303 Products I talked about earlier in the post, Several Days Ago.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home

It is suppose to be an extremely good product for Tire Protection against UV Rays. I use it on my truck and Pegs car. Still don't have a bus, so I can't say I use it on that, YET !

Gary S.

MangoMike
01-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Correcto mundo Gary. 303.

Mike

dale farley
01-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Since I was in the process of washing/waxing my bus when this discussion started, I decided to use the Armor All on the tires and skirts. I like the way they look, but not sure how long it will last. I assume until I get in some rain. I have horses stirring up a lot of dust, so I will see what happens with that. Sorry the pictures are a little dark; it was getting late in the evening.

garyde
01-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Beautiful Job Dale. What did you use for the waxing? How many hours from start to finish? Gary

dale farley
01-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Gary, Thanks for the compliment. At Roger's recommendation, I used Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax. I have heard of it all my adult life but never tried it before. It really did a nice job and is so much easier than most waxes. I probably spent a total of 5-6 hours doing the wax on the sides.

I still have to do the very top; and that part may be harder, since the paint is not as smooth as the sides. It took longer to put the wax on than to buff it out. I made sure it was very clean before applying the wax. I applied the wax using a small wash cloth (actually, about 6 of them) and wiped it off with medium size cotton terry cloth towels. Even though it was clean, the rags got dirty rather quickly.

rfoster
01-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Roadrunner: Man that is outstanding. I am sitting in my Kitchen and had to put on my sunglasses to look at the photos. Beautiful!! Your hired when can you start?:cool:

dale farley
01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Roger, I am afraid my arms wouldn't last much longer at the rate they were twirling on this one. I really appreciate the Meguiar's tip. I have also ordered some of the Metal Wax/Cleaner, but I may have to get my wife to that part. Of course, I haven't discussed it with her yet, so she may be busy when I get ready to start.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Dale
I noticed the wind deflecters on the slider windows for the cockpit. Does that eliminate or at least reduse the noise there? I'm assuming they were there when you got it but if not did they make any difference. Although in ours the wind noise is minimal it is the only place it happens and would be nice to eleminate.

dale farley
01-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Joe, I really don't know about the difference the deflectors make. They were there when I bought the bus. It seems like I may get a little noise occasionally, but nothing irritating.

garyde
01-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Gary, Thanks for the compliment. At Roger's recommendation, I used Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax. I have heard of it all my adult life but never tried it before. It really did a nice job and is so much easier than most waxes. I probably spent a total of 5-6 hours doing the wax on the sides.

I still have to do the very top; and that part may be harder, since the paint is not as smooth as the sides. It took longer to put the wax on than to buff it out. I made sure it was very clean before applying the wax. I applied the wax using a small wash cloth (actually, about 6 of them) and wiped it off with medium size cotton terry cloth towels. Even though it was clean, the rags got dirty rather quickly.

Hi Dale. Did you do the stainless as well with the Mcguires?

dale farley
01-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Gary, I didn't do all the stainless with Meguiar's, but I got it on it in several places, and it looks better where I did, and it just wiped right off. I am waiting on an order of Metalwax like Roger uses that is designed for stainless.

I did use some spray stainless cleaner in a couple places, but I wasn't impressed with it at all. The residue was difficult to get off and didn't seem to make much difference where I used it. I know the Meguiar's would work better than the stainless spray I used.

I am just not sure if you are supposed to use a regular wax on the stainless or not. If you can, then I certainly wouldn't hesitate using the Meguiar's. When I get the Metalwax order, I intend to experiment with the Metalwax and cleaner and compare it to the Meguiar's. My stainless on the sides of the bus seems to be in pretty good shape so I may not need the deep cleaning power of the Metalwax. Dale

garyde
01-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I would like to know more about cleaners and wax for the stainless. It seems there are many products one can use for cleaning . I wonder about the wax. Does anything last on stainless? I have used several products, they all look good but I am wondering how often I need to repeat on the stainless.

lewpopp
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
PETER......

How dare you use Thousand Island dressing on a French tire? Where have you been?

Ranch dressing is to be used only on farm tractors.

Italian dressing is to be used on Pirelli tires.

Thousand Island dressing is only for salad.

I cannot imagine that a little dressing on the tires will hurt them ove a period of 5-6 years. They have us throw them to the side of the road after that. I am willing to do that for safety but I cannot believe a slight cover of something to make the tires nice and black would hurt over the 5-6 year period.

I used to put bleachwhite whitewall cleaner on all of my cars and it never harmed one of the tires.

I spray a pressureized can of dressing on the tires and wipe it off with a rag. Does the job for me.

By the time you decide what to use the tires will be outdated.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
I would like to know more about cleaners and wax for the stainless. It seems there are many products one can use for cleaning . I wonder about the wax. Does anything last on stainless? I have used several products, they all look good but I am wondering how often I need to repeat on the stainless.

Gary: You should probably call one of the New Sponsors to Our POG Group.

Wipe Out Systems. i Have not used their products, but he is a current sponsor, and should be able to answer any questions you have? :confused:

http://www.wipeoutsystems.com/