PDA

View Full Version : Scam Alert!!

rmboies
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Just a quick reminder for everyone who has a coach listed for sale. The scammers are out and about big time--particularly since being kicked off ebay, and will try and sell your coach without you knowing about it.

This happened to us this past weekend and due to an experienced RV Financing Company, the scammer was stopped in his tracks. They didn't catch him but he didn't make the sale or steal any money from an innocent party either.

Does anyone know how to keep pictures from being pirated off other websites? I know I have visited a few horse farm sites and art sites that have their photos set up to be blocked from people who want to steal them but I am clueless on how to make ours that way.

Believe me, I could not have made up the story this scam artist created. Life is never dull!

jello_jeep
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
How does the scam operate ? Or do you know ??:confused:

Jerry Winchester
01-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I know that eBay has a lot of scam problems right now. Say you see a nice XL2 Prevost on the site and you bid on it. The auction usually closes with no winner. Then you get an e-mail alert from eBay offering to sell it on a "Second Chance" option. However, the "Second Chance" offer is a scam. It looks exactly like the real Second Chance, but it is bogus with a bogus seller. The idea is that you wire money (even just the money to hold it before you come pick it up) and then they scram with your cash and you get nothing.

This happens on lots of higher priced stuff on eBay since it isn't worth doing for little items. You want to always check your eBay account because if it is a legitimate second chance, it will appear in your box.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Maybe it is my fear of internet selling, but I find it very easy to search the market on the internet, but when the time comes to start spending money I want to touch the product, look the owner in the eye, and then consider putting down a deposit or making a purchase. To do it via the internet and FedEx and other electronic means....not for me.

rmboies
01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
How does the scam operate ? Or do you know ??:confused:

Warren, what these scammers try and do is get you to send them a deposit or a very reduced asking price. They search the internet, find a coach they like, pirate the pictures, and set up a fake website hoping some poor soul sees it. Once someone replies to him, then he goes back to the "real" site where your coach is listed, starts asking questions of the broker/seller, gets the information he needs, and then passes that on to the buyer he has on the hook. They will also ask you for your VIN number to check and see if your vehicle/coach has been in an accident. DON'T GIVE IT TO THEM. Once they have it they make up a title and fax it to the potential buyer. They also tell the potential buyer where to go to apply for financing.

The goal is to get funds from the buyer and to let the buyer think he is getting a real deal on a large ticket item. Within a few days the website is no longer there, the coach is gone and so is your money.

We have always gone to see a coach we were interested in but that was always after we found it on the internet. I think the internet is a great place to hunt for a coach but don't buy it until you go and see it or you know the person from POG:D After all, that is how we first had the pleasure of meeting Jon and Mango!! We would not have missed that for any price:eek:

merle&louise
01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Debi,

A big thank you for the original post and the great explanation of how the scam works. Good post!

jello_jeep
01-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Very interesting indeed!

I have bought many big ticket items over the net, but do my homework first for the most part.

I also bought my coach via the net, but flew out to GA to look and check it out. I flew to WA to check out another one first as well.

I also sold a couple of big ticket items, one on ebay, and after I sold it, had a chap email me and ask if I had sent him a second chance offer (I didn't), so I guess that scam has been around!

You would think that anyone that inventive could make more $$ putting their brain to a lawful use :)

Thanks for all the info everyone!