PDA

View Full Version : XL Rain Gutter for Driver's Window

Gil_J
10-14-2014, 02:30 PM
For many XL owners, their converters installed rain guards, for the lack of a better term, along the top side of teh coach. They were actually probably put there to make it harder to see roof top equipment, like roof air systems. Personally, I like them for their looks. What I don't like is that, in some installations, they funnel much of rain water down onto the driver's side window. I say in some installations as I've seen Country Coaches, like my own but just a few build numbers away from mine, that have rain gutters that extent well on to the front cap. Mine end at the front and rear caps.

I decided to tackle the task of changing the gutter configuration on mine. I added additional rain gutter on the front cap. I extended the natural vertical lip that exist on the cap and then gradually tapered at the front. Other than taking some time, I thought it was a fairly easy job. After grinding the cap in the mounting area down to the glass I installed an aluminum plate cut the way I wanted it. To add strength, but still limit it's width, I encapsulated it in fiberglass cloth. This also served as the method of attachment. With a thin amount of fairing material and primer, I think it turned out pretty good. Now I just need to have someone paint it and it will look like it was always there.

The good news is that I know longer end up with rain gushing down on the driver's window when parked.

What have you done to improve your coach?

Texas 40
10-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Great job !

Jamie Bradford
10-14-2014, 04:51 PM
That looks great Gil !!

dale farley
10-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Gil,

I wish you would have made that install about 5 years ago. Looks very nice and professional.

rfoster
10-15-2014, 11:51 AM
That's a great addition. I have gotten wet too many times because of no gutter!! Good job

cthalfman
10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Looks great Gil. Let me know if you need help finding a painter. I have been using a guy out of Clearwater that travels to me. He did some airbrush work on the mural on the back cap. His work was excellent. I have him coming back next week to repair some clearcoat on the front top cap.

JIM KELLER
10-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Gil, that looks great ! I want it on mine.