PDA

View Full Version : Generator

dale farley
10-06-2014, 10:27 PM
I started my generator this morning to exercise it. It started fine and ran for 3 or 4 minutes then quit. I tried several times to restart it, and it acted as though it wasn't getting fuel. Removed the line between the fuel pump and injector pump, and there was no fuel at the end of the line. Cranked it a few revolutions and diesel came through the line, so I reconnected it. Started right up and ran with no more problems.

I am wondering exactly what was the problem. Was this a vapor lock? This is the first time I've run the generator in a couple months.

Joe Camper
10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Well U know the routine with intermittent stuff.

Id go back to basics.

3 things 1 fuel pump 2 oil press sensor 3 water temp sensor but it needs to get a bit worse and go bad long enough to test.

Gil_J
10-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Dale,

What you described would normally be a starved fuel injection pump. They simply can't pump air, that's why cracking an injector line will often bring them back to life. However, if you have a PowerTech generator you should have an electric fuel pump. It's possible the pump isn't working or isn't putting out enough pressure. Is it working? Does it supply enough pressure for the generator to support a full load?

It could be that air simply got into the line, although that wouldn't seem likely.

rfoster
10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Gremlins Dale, its Gremlins. Normally they ride in the back of the bus. But sometimes they don't.

dreamchasers
10-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I have replaced my generator fuel pump, twice. Now I always carry a spare.

FYI

Hector

dale farley
10-09-2014, 12:04 AM
I've started mine three more times, and it starts and runs perfectly. I don't know if this was a one-time incident or if I should carry a spare fuel pump as Hector does?

JIM KELLER
10-09-2014, 06:41 AM
I also do as Hector does.

coreygrubb
10-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Dale, check and see if yours has an electric fuel pump. None of us should go that long without running our gens, they need to be used and under load.

Joe Camper
10-09-2014, 07:47 PM
FYI I learned that in a few short years our mac daddy 4 cyl diesel gens on new conversions will all have to need to have DEF systems on them to stay within emissions.

We were all treated to a look at the future in St Louis and it was very cool to see a brilliant solution.

Gil_J
10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Maybe, there will be a move to propane powered generators and having them categorized as standby generators. This would limit emissions equipment to a catalytic converter. I know no one wants to have a propane tank that will limit or restrict passage through some tunnels, but it might be better than the alternative. My wife would be all for it. Then she could have her propane cooktop. BTW, I saw a late mode Millennium Coach that was factory equipped with propane, so it wouldn't be the first propane equipped late model conversion.

What's next, emission controls for diesel fired heating systems....