PDA

View Full Version : ZipDee awning won't totally close

bigcitybob
10-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, I figure since I posted my problem with the transmission I might as well post the problem I am having with my awning. I know last time I posted two items in a row, Jim Keller said I was only allowed one a day. Jim, don't get upset!:D:D:D

I had my awnings open about 4 feet and we had a down poor. We were gone when this happened and when we got back the awnings were full of water between the arms that hold it up. I got a broom and pushed up from underneath to get rid of as much water as possible. I got rid of most of it before closing the awnings. When I went to close them they all shut fine except for the passengers front awning. The front end of the awning closed all the way but the back end got hung up at the very end. I lifted it up from the bottom and that allowed it to shut. It is as if it is to low and the medal box on the outer end is not lining up with the box on the coach to allow it to close.

I know how to adjust the pitch but that does not appear to be the problem here. The pitch is off only about 1.5 inches from the back awning.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks,

BB
2006 Country Coach Prevost XLII

bigcitybob
10-13-2014, 12:47 AM
I have had no response so I thought I would post it again. And thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BB

Gil_J
10-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Bob,

Let me give this a shot.

Based on the circumstances just prior to the problem, I would assume the roller and material are no longer square. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the water accumulated on one end of the awning (the rear of the awning). The weight of the water stretched the material or aluminum cover enough to prevent the rear of the roller mating with the coach when the front of the roller has already has already met the coach. I don't really think the material has much elasticity and to bent the aluminum cover would seem remote, it's the best guess I can come up with. And although it's a guess, I did encounter a very similar problem with my last coach. The rain came down faster than the auto closing sensor could react. In my case, the water settled in the center of the awning and did result in the material being lose in the middle when fully retracted.

Good luck, and remember I'm just throwing out an idea for thought,

bigcitybob
10-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks Gil. Keep throwing and I'll attempt to keep catching!

It closes just fine until the very end and the back end of the awning appears to not be level enough to go into the box on top of the coach. The awning has the bar all the way across on the very end and that bar retracts into the box on the roof. It roles up and slides inside the box. If I hold up the bar on the end getting stuck it will slide right inside.

By now I'm sure your really confused!

BB

Gil_J
10-15-2014, 06:20 AM
Bob,

It sounds like you have the air assist system. Something must have gotten bent just enough to cause the malalignment.

tpr
10-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Bob,

There is an adjustment tool that should have come with the New Century Awning. If you call Jimmy at Zip Dee he can walk you through it. My awning wouldn't close fully into the box. My RV dealer adjusted mine as he had Jimmy on the phone and it only took a few minutes. Good Luck.

bigcitybob
10-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks, I will give Jimmy a call on Monday.