PDA

View Full Version : get inside your mechanics head

Joe Camper
10-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Some of us were talking about brake calipers earlier and id like to add a few thoughts.

U guys should ALL try this.

Next time u go for chassis service and I dont care if its prevo or DD or a scoostama like me.

Say please if u would make SURE while u r under it checking things to:

Release the parking brake chock the wheels if u have to so u can jiggle the calipers and be sure they r all free. Please let me know if any r too loose so we know if the adjuster is shot and please if any of my calipers r the old style make sure none of the dust boots r cracked or gone.

U tell any mechanic that and he will sit up and take notice. Most mechanics will not be expecting that kind of request from a motorhome owner. They will think U were previously a trucker or some DOT guy and a pretty thorough one at that. Should help probably get a little more attention to detail that u might not get otherwise.

Gotta manage them managers right

travelite
10-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Really great advice Joe. That will certainly do the trick! I have the new style calipers on my drive axle but the old style on the tag and steer. I've had my pins checked, lubed, and rebooted, and I know one is rusty but the caliper is loose. I'll attend to replacing it this winter. Thanks for the reminder. :)