PDA

View Full Version : bay heaters

gmcbuffalo
01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I have a heater in the water bay that is controled by a 12 volt thermostat and is warmed by the webasto. The fan doesn't want to turn. I touched the fan with a long stick and it turns as long as I keep the stick pushing on it. I doesn't sound like the fan is sutck. Does anyone know if these fan are controlled by anything other than a electricity. i.e. some kind of blade that retracts it it get so cold and let the fan run?

GregM

garyde
01-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi Greg. Have you tested the power at the fan motor? It could be a fuse, or the t-stat. Check for voltage at the fan first. Ck for voltage on the outgoing side of t stat 2nd. ck for voltage on the incoming side of t-stat 3rd. Or do the reverse, and ck for voltage at t stat incoming first and so forth. Gary

Jon Wehrenberg
01-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Sounds like the fan motor might be the problem. I have had to replace three fans this past 18 months because they weren't working right.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Our 12 volt fan on the heater core in that bay has no thermostat and doesn't seem to be a problem. If the thermostat is bad, and its below freezing seems to me it can be saftly bypassed.

gmcbuffalo
01-21-2007, 10:04 PM
When I push on the fan propeller through the grille with a long narrow stick the propeller will turn, if I take the stick out it stops. I don't see were the prop is touching anything, but that is how it acts. It is in a space along side the water and waste tanks and can only touch it with a stick.
GregM

garyde
01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Greg, If your motor is running after you push the fan blade, then you need a new motor. Gary

dale farley
01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Sounds like the bearing may be bad in the front of the motor. When you push it in, it is changing the position of the shaft to the bearing, and allowing it to turn. Gary is probably right--New Motor.

Jeff Bayley
01-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Has anyone every found a suitable way to upgrade these to blow harder. My fans work but they all seem to be fairly low volume. Maybe too much volue would result in less heat afterall. The one in the very front of the coach deffintley seems to need some help.

garyde
01-23-2007, 01:00 AM
A motor with a higher RPM, without increase in watts, or Amps.

jello_jeep
01-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Has anyone every found a suitable way to upgrade these to blow harder.

Yes, just rename it Hillary :D

truk4u
01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Jeff,
Which fans are you referring to? My webasco heat exchangers have two speeds, high and normal.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Or MONICA:p

gmcbuffalo
01-23-2007, 01:14 PM
The name on the bay heater is Aurora Benjamin, but I can not find any source on the web for it. My bus is a '92 Beaver conversion from back in the days when the Beaver owner was trying to compete against CC. Beaver is now owned by Monico and almost know one there knows anything about these buses. This a 12 vout unit that is about 5" x 5" x 12" and heated by the webasto system.

Any leads?

GregM

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Greg,

If it is a motor driving a fan in a heat exchanger you might want to pull it and check places like WW Grainger. These motors are rarely proprietary so there is a replacement out there somewhere.

Try this:

http://www.rdac.com/index.html

This is the company that makes the heat exchangers for the Webasto units in my coach and maybe that will help lead you to a replcement fan if not unit.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Greg, If you pull the motor that's probably the hard part. If the end bells are not welded onto the field housing, disassemble the motor and maybe all that you need are new ball bearings..[ I say that because you indicate it runs with axial pressure on the shaft]. If it is like many fan motors it will have pre-lubed bronze bushings that can also be replaced ( or made special at your local machine shop ) You may also get by with cleaning and lubricating either. The bushing style motor is not inferior and is often used for fire code reasons. There are different classes of motors and you should try to duplicate what you have if you think you are replacing original equipmint, or get specific application advice if you are not sure. Motor applications are very specific and should not be treated lightly, the safety of your bus is at stake. Need more just ask. JIM