PDA

View Full Version : floor replacement

gal2949
08-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Thinking about replacing rug in '05 Liberty with plastic wood...any suggestions by somebody who's lived through such a project? will be in southern U.S. most of this winter.

wmoureau
08-28-2014, 09:53 AM
i changed mine to wood afew years ago but now looking at a product called luxury vinyl tile the patterns look more like wood than wood w moureau

tradewinds
08-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Updating any part of your coach is an exciting time, but especially the floor! We have been doing lots of wood and granite floors as of late and even a few LVT. I wanted to share a couple photos of our work below. Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to talk about anything regarding your coach.

-Kyle

Swapped out old damaged wood floor for a fresh look in this 2005 Country Coach

This is LVT tile that looks just like real wood installed in a Newell.

Installed diagonal hand-scraped wood in place of old carpet. Millennium H3-45

Granite tile job in progress. Pieces being cut & installed in the stateroom. 2008 Featherlite H3-45

Diagonal wood floor is a really impressive look in the right coach. This is the salon of a 1997 Featherlite H3-45.

Same coach as above, but this is back in the stateroom.

Gil_J
08-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Are you asking for material and/or installation suggestions for a self-help job or are you asking for recommendations on where to take your coach for someone else to do it?

Weight should be a consideration, especially forward in the coach. Hardwood veneers look awesome, won't shrink and expand, and share the attributes of the veneer. Some veneers are thicker than others; thicker allows for repairs of minor kicks. I wouldn't recommend any of the softer woods. Unlike floors in a home, coach floors get more wear because you are forced down the same path all of the time. If you have a dog, the harder woods are also a big plus. Personally, I like the look of hickory and it's one of the harder woods.

Avoid straight line installations. Any minor flaw will be glaring. Besides, at the right angle, the floors will look better. Don't be afraid of being creative. I've seen inlays in wood floors using a different wood or tile look amazing.

Granite, ceramic tile, or any other stone product can be heavy. Although I haven't seen it used as a flooring I would investigate the granite overlay product available for countertops. It is a mix of granite and an epoxy like material. This makes it non porous and I have to assume available in thinner material to reduce weight.

The flexible strips that look like wood weight more than the engineered wood flooring I spoke of earlier. Although easy to install, it would be on my list.

I'm thinking about doing the forward part of our coach and haven't decided which way to go yet. Let us know what you decide.

Joe Camper
08-28-2014, 08:49 PM
I would avoid plastic anything.

Where does the carpet start and end. R U also wanting the stairs? Cockpit? Bedroom?

Im guessing U currently have some kind of tile or stone in the bath and kitchen. Is this remaining or coming out too?

If U R butting up to stone or tile in the center of the bus 3/4 T&G flooring will get U to about perfect same elevation no threshold needed between.

No shortcuts cockpit chairs out. All couches chairs and tables livingroom out that includes the table behind and around the driver. Bed and base need removed if bedroom is in the mix.

If U R pulling stone or tile out its in there and U will work hard getting it out protect the shower glass.

Unless something very very custom is requested its probably about 40 or 50 hr. Stairs will take another day or 2. Pulling flooring that is stone or tile from midship add another day

If U R doing it yourself and never did this before don't put yourself under the restraints of time. It will be like 45ft of working in a closet. Cockpit seats R unbelievably heavy

Ive done more than a few never exceeding a weeks time. Hope this helps.

Gill I put American Walnut in my XL,VERY SOFT, didn't care dogs and all. Additional nicks and scratches just added to its patina.

I will be in Florida Jan and Feb this last Jan I did Teak in a POGers drive in Sarasota, an H. No cockpit, no stairs, no tile midship Took 5 10hr days. Call me 708 243 7871

gal2949
08-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks for those responses...I'm not going to do this job myself...I'm not looking for a divorce...I'm looking for a factory-like job done in a timely manner...we're booked in a resort in Fl. Dec./Jan. and other than that we're flexible time wise.
Thanks again for those inputs.

JIM KELLER
08-30-2014, 06:11 PM
" I'm not looking for a divorce. " Man, you gotta love this guy !

BenC
09-02-2014, 02:43 PM
I would first STRONGLY suggest weighing your coach first, as wel would have to do before doing a floor update, before adding granite or heavy material flooring. Some coaches had carpet for a very important reason: to keep them from being overweight upon completion. Often times the only flooring possible is the laminate "wood-look" flooring. Just food for thought.
We have had a lot of success with the Mannington Edura product line.

gal2949
09-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for that Ben...It's the wood look stuff we want.