PDA

View Full Version : HD Satellite Antenna

Jamie Bradford
08-13-2014, 09:45 AM
I currently have a non-HD dome on the front of the bus - it was used for Dish Network - I have not used it. I am thinking of getting a HD antenna for DirecTV - Any thoughts ??????

Thanks

Jamie

gal2949
08-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi Jamie...we bought a Winegard Trav'ler 1000 but for Dish Network and it has worked great so far...California to Florida to Alberta to Newfoundland and Maritimes and never one hiccup...
Camping World put it on in Las Vegas...this info is free ( fwiw )!

mike kerley
08-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Good morning Jamie,

We had a KVH Dome for inmotion SD Direct TV and a MOTOSAT for stationary viewing of HD channels. Last time I checked, with Direct TV needing to see 5 birds to capture the HD channels, a dome was not an option. Its possible to make a domed dish go to an HD bird while tuned to that specific channel, but as you change channels, changing satellites gets to be a hastle. Two receivers or a dual tuner unit really confuses the issue. MOTOSAT may be able to give you advise on the best route to take. The technology is ever changing.
I sure miss our bus, but the wife doesnt......

coreygrubb
08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Jamie, the in-motion dome will work for Direct TV. You (as far as I know) cannot have HD in motion. Use a Winegard Traveler fold down to get HD when parked. You still have to get HDMI to the tvs. Two ways to do it, string HDMI cables or electronically which I understand needs at least one Smart TV. I don't understand it, but Richard at Parliament does. Geo.

kigluckman
08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Jamie,

Check out the new SK-SWM3 DirecTV Slimline from Winegard. SWM technology requires only one cable from the dish and you can then put a nearly unlimited number of DVRs on it, including the DirecTV Genie which can record five programs at once. I think this is the best unit out there -- unfortunately, it came out just after I bought my Traveler that uses the older technology (but which has been extremely reliable).

Ken

truxton
08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
SWM is the way to go.

Later
bv

JIM KELLER
08-13-2014, 02:19 PM
So.....Why do you guys want to see the stretch marks, crows feet and other body flaws on people in HD ? I'm just saying....

mike kerley
08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Jim, I dont think they are watching "The Mountain Men" series. Young ladies doing an work out routine in HD? Great stuff!

rfoster
08-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Mike: That's funny.

JIM KELLER
08-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Good One Mike ! That put a grin on my face.

Jamie Bradford
08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
I have been looking at the DirecTv Genie - Thanks Ken - I think that may be the way to go?? Put the DVR/Receiver in and attach to a HD Dish - then connect mini Genies to any tv on the coach - wirelessly….

I may try this option…..

Jamie

Jamie Bradford
08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
I have been looking at the DirecTv Genie - Thanks Ken - I think that may be the way to go?? Put the DVR/Receiver in and attach to a HD Dish - then connect mini Genies to any tv on the coach - wirelessly….

I may try this option…..

Jamie

mike kerley
08-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Jamie, check with Direct TV on how the mini Genies communicate. They may need to be on the same LAN (Local Area Network, in the same building) to work.

Jamie Bradford
09-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Update…….

Since I am away for the Summer I thought I would try to see if I could use what was currently on the coach… KVH Trac-vision and Dish receiver ( I have Directv at home )

The issue was getting a good HDMI HD feed from the back ( where the Dish receiver is ) to the new tv I put up front…..

I bought this HDMI Wireless gizmo and it works like a champ!! Great signal from the back receiver to the front tv and to the bay tv. I learned that Dish has some channels that are HD and the KVH receives them fine…..Dish also has a month to month package for RVs….

So…for about $ 200 ( plus $ 50 or so for Dish ) I am all set for College Football Season !!!!! I may look at upgrading satellite dishes down the road but I am good for now...

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/