PDA

View Full Version : TMPS

dale farley
08-07-2014, 09:59 AM
There have been many discussions about tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS). I am wondering if there are any new systems on the market that are easier to install or are more reliable? I had a system on my previous bus, and the biggest problem I had was the wheel monitors would start to leak and need replacing quite often. I occasionally got false readings, but I think that is fairly common. Has anyone found a system that is very reliable and easy to install? Has anyone been using a system that has just proven to be too much trouble or unreliable? I haven't yet made up my mind as to whether I want to install another system. Since I recently installed new tires, I don't want to remove them to install an internal system.

Gil_J
08-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Dale, I never used the system you had. I think the only reliable system will have sensors in the wheels.

dale farley
08-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Gil,

I had used that system for a few years, but I think the batteries were going bad, so I had just ordered the new sensors before you got the bus.

Joe Camper
08-07-2014, 06:37 PM
I have pressure pro and they have proven to be a very reliable accessory.

I think I paid 700 for enough sensors to do the bus and toad.

Easy to install didn't have any problems with leaking. The first sensor to fail went 6yr before needing replacement at 50 bucks a piece.

I would buy this product again but I have seen 1 better now.

They now have sensors that can be aired up thru the sensor without the necessity of taking it off and reprograming that wheel every time air pressure adjustment is needed.

This is without a doubt one of the best accessories I have ever bought. They go well with cenrtonics, wheel jewelry and Prevo

I also have another sensor called Tattle Trail it senses very slight increase in vibration very simple and works very well.

It has notified me of a sidewall separation twice (on a couple of trailers I pulled ) before tire pressures ever even began to fall off. None of the other style pressure sensors can do that.

I have the control panel for the pressure pro still if someone wants it let me know U will need to buy the sensors at 50 a piece

JIM KELLER
08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
Dale, I have Tire Safe Guards and I like them. You can check and fill the tires without removing the sensors. A very nice feature. I think it is the only system on the market that also tells you the tire temp. I did have to purchase a repeater and pluged it into an outlet in the bedroom to transmit the information from the tow vehicle due to the length of the Bus. I have used this system for about six years.

dale farley
08-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Jim, I may have had the same ones. I know you could check the air without removing the sensors.

rfoster
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I also have the Tire Safe Guard system and like it. I do believe the new system they offer has the ability to replace the batteries as needed.

dale farley
08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
That would be a real improvement. I bought new sensors because the batteries were getting old.

JIM KELLER
08-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Dale mentioned false readings when he started this Thread. I suspect all monitors give some degree of false alerts from time to time. On our way back from N.C. this time I got a rapid deflation alarm on my drivers side tag. The reading went to 40 psi. This wasn't the first time I have had tire pressure alerts. Since it was on my drivers side I was able to keep an eye on the general tire area while Karen was looking for the next exit. One of the things I like about the Tire Safe Guard system is it gives you the tire temp along with the tire pressure. Although I was looking for a pull off area without nails and misc road debris I noticed the temp of the tire was half of the other tires. This made me suspect the low pressure alarm was false. Before I could find an acceptable pull off area the alarm went away and the tire pressure returned to normal. Nice ending to a " Pucker Period. " Anyone else had one of these " Fun Events ? "

dale farley
08-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Jim,

I had a similar instance. I assumed my battery might be getting low, but never knew for sure. I agree that most any of these are subject a occasional false reading.

dale farley
08-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Jim/Roger, Are you still using the Tire Safeguard System? I think the batteries were supposed to be good for approximately 5 years. I may need to buy my old system back from Gil!

Joe Camper
08-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Test test this

Gil_J
08-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Dale, I never used it. Make me great offer.

JIM KELLER
08-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Yes I am still using Tire Safeguard and some of my batteries need to be replaced. The good part is they can be replaced. The bad part is when they are replaced the control unit needs to be re programed. I don't find this procedure to be user friendly. I will probably opt for sending all of them into Tire Safeguard and have them do it for me. Over the years I have had both the standard tire sensor and the flow through sensor. I prefer the flow through sensor because they allow you to manually check the tire pressure to confirm the pressure being reported to the control unit. It is also nice to be able to add air without removing the sensor.

Mikee
08-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I also use the Tire Safe Guard. I replaced the Pressure Pro system with the Tire Safe Guard. I like the Tire Safe Guard better. It seems to be more consistant and reliable. Plus, you can change the batteries yourself.

Mikee

rfoster
08-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Yes Dale, I am still using the Tire Safe Guard - actually 2nd set. I tried the Pro Sensor but it was left on one of the previous buses. The Tire Safe Guard is my preference.

I also agree with Jim that it not that user friendly when changing sensors but somehow I got it to work when I had to replace a lost sensor.

Mikee
08-04-2015, 07:13 AM
That is what the sensors do when the battery is getting low. Replace the battery.

Mikee

dale farley
08-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Gil, Can the batteries be changed in the sensors you have?

Mikee
08-05-2015, 10:48 AM
I have changed the batteries in the TIre Safegard and did not have to reprogram anything. have to do after changing the batteries?

Mikee

dale farley
08-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Gil,

Can the batteries be changed on your sensors? I am interested.

Gil_J
08-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Dale, I'll to dig them out of the box to see.

Camc
08-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Dale, I use the SmarTire monitoring which has the sensors inside the tire. I really like the system, however when I went online to their website, it says that they no longer offer that system for motorhomes. It seems like they only do trucks and buses.

Cam Colon

Dthomas9572
12-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Hello,

I am assuming that I would have metal air gauges on my 98 45 footer with 315 on the bus. Am I correct on thinking this?

Thanks

Gil_J
12-28-2019, 07:51 PM
I'm not following your question. You will have metal valve stems.

Dthomas9572
12-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Hi Gil,

I am looking at purchasing the TST 507 tire monitoring system with flow through valves. With these they require metal valve stems. On my toad, I need to check I can't use the flow through valves as it probably has rubber stems. But I can use with the system the NON flow though monitors. I was just confirming that I would have the metal stems as I like the idea of being able to add air easily.

Thanks

Gil_J
12-30-2019, 09:53 PM
I'm not the norm when it comes to TPMS sensors. I won't use air-through sensors. I use the commercial truck version of the 507 sensors. These don't support air-through and don't have replaceable batteries.

Your coach valve stems are definitely metal, most likely chromed brass.