PDA

View Full Version : dash cam

gal2949
07-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Any opinions on dash cams? Pros/cons...Thinking about buying one...

dale farley
07-23-2014, 11:17 AM
The dash cams just add another layer of protection when liability becomes an issue. Of course, I suppose they could record something that could work against you, but I would think the positives out weigh the negatives.

Gil_J
07-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Grant,

There seems to more people using dash cameras these days. I suppose their price and "cool" factor play heavily in the increased use. I also see more commercial operators, trucks, taxis, and the like, using them than I have noticed in the past. I have to assume these are there to provide evidence of innocence. Some cameras will record GPS location, date, time, and speed. All of which would seem to be great information if you ever needed evidence of someone cutting you off. Some will also record video looking forward and backward at the same time and record audio near the camera.

Some may suggest the recording could also be used against you. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you probably can't be obligated to release the video or even say it was in use if you don't want to.

If you decide to get one, let us know which you bought and why. I'm sure many others are interested in dash cameras.

Denny
03-09-2016, 06:24 PM
This topic started almost 3 years and immediately stopped soon after.

During that interim has anyone started using a dash cam? What brand is recommended? Advantages/disadvantages? I'm think about getting one and know nothing about them. Thanks.

JIM KELLER
03-11-2016, 06:05 AM
Same as Denny. Would like to hear from users.

Gil_J
03-11-2016, 06:51 AM
I too would like the here from users. Here are a couple of links to reviews.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com

JCarrollJr
03-15-2016, 08:18 AM
I bought a Falcon F170 HD Ultra View Dash Cam a little while back on a whim and actually installed it and set it up at the Parliament rally a few weeks ago. I don't remember what it cost and I think that I got it from Amazon. As luck would have it, on the way back to Naples from the rally I was on the receiving end of a little road rage incident where a guy in a pick-up pulled in in front of me very close and put on his brakes. I can't imagine that kind of thinking but it is what it is i guess. The dash cam recorded it all as plain as day. While nothing can be done about the incident from the dash cam evidence, I'm sure it would have been very valuable if I had made contact with him. After that experience, my vote is for the dash cam. I think it a real good ace-in-the-hole. I think I have a copy of the video and I'll give posting it a try if folks are interested.

Maybe we should come up with a bumper sticker that says something like this -----

Take a look when you pass.
You may see the camera, but probably won't see the Glock.
Have a nice day.

JIM KELLER
03-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Or how about " Take a look as you pass, the camera is watching your ... !

OK, I'll quit.

JCarrollJr
03-15-2016, 05:14 PM
I like that!

Gil_J
03-15-2016, 10:05 PM
John,

How well do those brakes work?

A bumper sticker sounds like a good idea.

JCarrollJr
03-16-2016, 09:34 AM
Brakes work good.
I think what caused this guy to get into the road rage mode was that I touched the brakes just enough to disconnect the cruise control due to traffic ahead and he must have been right on my bumper without me knowing it. The new brake lights obviously work good also. I didn't have the camera on at the time as I'm used to it being off since I'm normally towing the trailer. That's the first time that I've been subject to someone pulling in in front of me and braking hard. I just can't imagine someone in a 3000 pound pick-up putting themselves in the position of getting run over by a 55,000 pound plus bus by depending on an old man's (or young one's for that matter) reaction time. Ignorance can be corrected, but stupidity is unfixable I suppose.

jbchevy3
03-17-2016, 10:19 AM
I bought the "Street Guardian SGZC12SG (64GB) from Amazon, $278
Only had it a couple of weeks, but seems to work well, and easy to operate.