PDA

View Full Version : Fat Lady Sings! Mango's New H3

MangoMike
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
This time with the blessing of Ms. Donna we have taken the next step to the sending our kids to a community college with the purchase of a 2000 Marathon H3.

Pickup is scheduled for Friday, the 19th, in the afternoon in San Diego.

Heading over to the dark side by leaving Liberty and the Stainless. Found out the Mangoettes were traditionalists as when they saw the first pixs of the H3 acclaimed "Dad, where's the shiny metal?"

JDUB will be aboard for the inagural flight as far as Dallas, so expect some interesting posts as we motor down the highway in search of the perfect Taco stand.

Mango

Just Plain Jeff
01-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Finally Mango's conscience has caught up with him and he has given up perhaps one of worst-kept secrets to date.

Nice camper! Word has it that he will keep the Liberty for weekends and flash.

So....where's the metal?

Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy your new coach. May you have many happy and enjoyable miles down the great highways of this beautiful country!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-18-2007, 11:06 AM
I am very envious Mike. It looks like a beautiful H3. I know you and your entire family will just love it.

Are just you and Jerry going out to pick up the new rig? That will be quite an adventure in itself !

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your new rig in Kerrville.

Gary S.

rmboies
01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=MangoMike;9184]This time with the blessing of Ms. Donna we have taken the next step to the sending our kids to a community college with the purchase of a 2000 Marathon H3.

Aha, glad to see your secret is out Mango and Donna, the pressure was getting to me! I know you have always wanted an H3 and Bob and I are both thrilled for you. Wave as you head back home on I-40!! I would like to have a hidden tape recorder of your trip back to Houston with Jerry, :D

BrianE
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Way to go Mangos and Mangoettes. Beeeautiful! :D
Can't wait to see it at Kerrville.

BrianE & Beverly
94Liberty XL

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Here we go again. More LEDs to be bought.

Mike is single handedly going to support an entire industry, in addition to supporting the converters by owning two buses.

Can't wait to see the new ride.

truk4u
01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Congrat's Mango! 2 buses, we're not worthy, we're not worthy!!!

Deb - Can you imagine the hidden recorder... It would sound like this:

Mango - Ooohhh, hey flame snuffer, that was gross, was that from a burrito
JDUB - No way, was that from the holding tank, can I look in the toilet

Mango - It came from up here, we need air
JDUB - Speaking of air, puuuuuuutttttttttt

Mango - Man your killing me and stinking up my new bus
JDUB - Hey, where are those Jalapenos

Mango - Go change your pants
JDUB - OK, but they're a little tight, what about the butt crack

Mango - Geeez, put something else on, that's nasty looking
JDUB - I'm out of shorts, puuuuuuuuttttttttt, we need barbecue

Mango - Here you drive, I'm getting sick
JDUB - Give me the map, burb, belch, psst, we're close to Jose's Taco Parlor

And so on and so on.....:eek:

Jerry Winchester
01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Well I am glad this is out and man are we headed for some large fun. We would have started the taco quest on Friday out at the El Indio Taco shop in San Diego, but my flight doesn't arrive from OKC until around 9:30pm, so the initial Mexican food stop will be Jordan's in Phoenix on Saturday. We may have to fill the fridge in the H3 with take out just in case we hit a taco drought somewhere along the way.

The real low will be when the blog starts as we attempt to cram all this fun (and 1400 miles) into 44 hours.

And since Tom will be on the other side of the country, I can leave my slicker suit at home whilst I motor along from the left coast with the A1 protégé......

Stay tuned

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
The real low will be when the blog starts as we attempt to cram all this fun (and 1400 miles) into 44 hours.

Either the dynamic duo is planning on driving at 31.8 MPH, or there will be an excessive amount of time spent looking for the kind of food polite people don't eat for fear of the consequences.

I'm fairly certain Ms. Mango Donna will not tour the new coach until a professional restoration company has fumigated and sanitized the new coach, especially the toilet.

Jerry Winchester
01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I think this contemplates sleeping at some point, however I think that is only optional. We have a couple of dozen stops contemplated, so I think we drive 80mph and sort the rest out later. Diesel is cheap when you're not buying it :eek:

However, it is fitting that Tom is a Cracker-American, crack being the operative term. I hope Nancy isn't reading over his shoulder this weekend. It won't be pretty.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-18-2007, 01:22 PM
MM & Donna, Good luck and enjoy. I am truly envious. You really know how to hurt a guy. That sure is a beauty. No wonder you have been so quiet lately. Are you leading the new wave toward the H3's? Time will tell.

Post the spec sheet so we can all drool. :) JIM

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I think this contemplates sleeping at some point, however I think that is only optional. We have a couple of dozen stops contemplated, so I think we drive 80mph and sort the rest out later. Diesel is cheap when you're not buying it :eek:

However, it is fitting that Tom is a Cracker-American, crack being the operative term. I hope Nancy isn't reading over his shoulder this weekend. It won't be pretty.

Hey Jer, enjoy the trip this weekend. Let us all know some of the stops that you two guys are planning on making. Or is it a secret :o

Don't forget Old Towne for mexican fare, in Albuquerque, they have some of the best. But you will have to go in the toad, cause noway, that big bad boy H3 can get around the circle in Old Towne.:eek:

merle&louise
01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
MM & Donna,

Great looking H3, love the paint job. That baby is huge!:eek:

Boy the restaurant business must be good to be able to afford 2 Prevosts!

Hope you get to try some good BarBQue joints on the way home. BarBque is not nearly as harsh on the stomach as tacos and refried beans. WalMart is running a special on toilet paper this week.

Be careful on the icy roads.

Congratulations from Karen and I; can't wait to see it in Kerrville.:D

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Be careful on the icy roads.

I'm going out on a limb here, but if icy roads are encountered, there may be enough fire power on board to melt the road surface as necessary to get them to the next cantina.

Jerry Winchester
01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Jon,

I hear those H3's have the Turbo Fart Extractor option. I also think Marathon has the LEL detector (Tom said Big Red had one because of You Know Who's flatuance problem), so I should be safe from Mike's inability to process gut bombs and other third world food items.

truk4u
01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey Camel boy, I'll be sure to pass on your comments to, "ole whats her name".

Ray Davis
01-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Do be careful on the driving. I15 was closed in the El Cajon pass yesterday due to snow. I8 (out the San Diego way), has high wind warnings posted today, and says not advised for campers.

Just Plain Jeff
01-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Saying, "Be Careful" to these two is a little like telling your kids, "Now don't stay out too late," on college graduation night. Look at it this way, both Mango and JDUB are responsible executives with significant responsibilities both at home and at work and can be trusted completely.

Right.

Joe Cannarozzi
01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Real sharp Mike, congradulations. I'm noticing wipers on the upper windows. Are there upper cabinats and or a flat screen or is it all for your viewing pleasure?

kmuller
01-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Mike and family, Congratulations on the new one. After you get home, maybe we can talk you in to repowering with a 15.7 Liter/900 Horsepower engine we just got in. Check it out on the current blog on the website. All gleaming white with chrome covers (picture will be up shortly). What you lost on the Liberty bling you could regain quickly with this!

Seriously, our best wishes for safe travel and family enjoyment in your new coach.

jello_jeep
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
CorNgrats Mango... If you break down near San Diego, I am not that far away, so gimme a call so I can come by and take pictures and chuckle :)

Jeff Bayley
01-18-2007, 07:09 PM
If they can turn waste vegetable oil into fuel then maybe you guys could convert Mango's bus to run on waste......um......well.....just plain waste. Think of how brilliant that would be. No need to dump, just keep circling the taco joints and you'll never be short on fuel !

Jon Wehrenberg
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
And around Washington DC there should be enough fuel for Mango so he will never again have to pull into the Flying J

lewpopp
01-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I hope and pray that there is a straight stretch in the highway when JDUB prances forward in his THONG. He said they were the uniform of the day because of the flatuations expected along the way.

The use of professional terms is necessary because of the over the shoulder people who stald this board.

What are the sleeping arrangements? Come on, fess up you silly savages.

Enjoy the trip and the coach. I know the trip will be a real "rip".

garyde
01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Well, Now you've done it!Mike, you have joined an exclusve secret society. Those of us who can't wait to sell the first Coach to get into a Prevost of choice. Congradulations. Wish I could be there. Gary

win42
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Mango: Youre on your own beating the rub rails back in shape on that baby.
Nice coach I'm sure you and the Mangoites will get a lot enjoyment out of it.
If you travel through Tucson on your journey make an overnight stop at Beaudry's RV Park and look us up @ lot 1616. We'll be here until late February.
They have a fine resturant on site with great Marguritas. Jdub can pick from a group of new Prevosts for sale here. Hope to see you soon or at least in Kerrville.

BUSTER
01-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Mango, Family and Banker,

Beautiful .... Enjoy and lots of luck with it...looking forward to seeing it...all the best...Mike Simmons

Joe Cannarozzi
01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Mike, Jerry be carful out there. I know the weathermen are usually wrong but they are forcasting some nasty weather across I-10 for tonight and tomorrow:mad:

Don't let one of those other motorists your sharing the road with snoocker ya.

lewpopp
01-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Let's see, it is 10:30 EST and JDUB said he won't arrive in the west until 9 pm pst. Just a couple hours until the fun begins.

Do you think Mango will meet Jerry at the airport in the H like another guy did trying to pick up his wife?

The stories begin.

MangoMike
01-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Hi Guys,

Mango met Jerry at the airport in full H glory. Late now in Yuma for the night. Details and pixs tomorrow. Surprise visit by Ray D and Mike S.

Mike

rmboies
01-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi Guys,
Mango met Jerry at the airport in full H glory. Late now in Yuma for the night. Details and pixs tomorrow. Surprise visit by Ray D and Mike S.
Mike

Hey Mango, you and JDUB have a blast! Nice of Ray and Mike to surprise you, did they bring a care package with antacids:D

Travel safe and Bob-00 and I are looking forward to more pics please!

Jerry Winchester
01-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Well we are about to get back on the road after our 6am PST wake up call. That rest didn't last long. We did, however, stop for provisions last night. Red Bull, litle chocolate dounts and Jr. Mints.

win42
01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Jerr&Mike
Beaudry's is a nice place to wait out the storm ahead of you. Hope to see you today in Tucson. I've notified the AHP to look for a brown streak doing 85with a brown taco exhaust streak. Let us know if you have time to stop.
cya
h

Jerry Winchester
01-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Harry,

Call us, 713-410-9324. We will be thru Tucson this afternoon around anaconda time, so we may need to dump. Or we can just take the Chris Yates route and create different kind of brown streak down the road.....

JW

dalej
01-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Jerry, can't you at least send a photo of Mike smiling behind the wheel!

Ray Davis
01-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Here's a quicky shot of us last night before leaving to pick up JDUB at the airport. You would think after the hair raising story we all read here about taking a bus to an airport we wouldn't try that!! But no .... I think we needed Jeff Bailey though. Mike kept trying to park the bus, but the cops would chase him off, and we'd circle, and circle, and circle!

Since JDB was coming in late (945PM), we decided to start the chowing down a bit early at Santana's a local Mexican food hangout.

Best of luck on your trip, Mike. Mike Simmons and I both have a severe case of BE (Bus Envy :eek: )

dalej
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I know what you mean Ray (BE) but you know we are all really happy for Mike.....arn't we?

Thanks for posting the photo, they don't have time to keep us all updated, what with all the new gadgets and all.

MangoMike
01-20-2007, 02:13 PM
It was really great that the some of the West Coast POGGERs came on down to check out the new bus. As you know, with anything new, it's no good to have it unless you can flash it off to enviable friends. They were the best. Plus Ray acted as lead dog as we plowed our way thru the SD airport in search of TEXLAX.

We drove until 4:30am DC time and stayed at the luxurious Yuma Outdoor Resorts for our first evening.

Morning view out those Big H3 Windows.

JDUB taking smoothly down the road as we search out the best Sonoran Mexican restaurant (since 1948) on the planet. Photos and anaconda measurements to folllow.

Mike

Just Plain Jeff
01-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Just returned from the Tampa Super Show. TWO Prevost people came up to me (had POG shirt on) and said, "Did you know that there are two guys driving an H3 across the country right now eating nothing but tacos, headed for Dallas?"

Trying act as an 'adult,' the response was, "Yes, that would be Mango and Jerry Winchester."

"Geez, you guys must have a lot of fun."

(Which is when one of converters went for his fone and called Mango).

These guys aren't going to be on CNN or anything...or what?

dalej
01-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Keep'um coming....whats on the dash? IIIplus or IV, looks like a 276C. Jerry looks to somber to be driving a H3. you had not be talking him in to updating his or you never know what we will all do.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Big mistake letting JDUB sample the wares. Now he will have to have one.

Does anybody remember when a 40 foot XL was a big deal?

win42
01-20-2007, 04:48 PM
John: There are some of us with the anchient SS still thinking they are a big deal. I wish the newer units were still 40 ft. The shorter length makes more sense for some of us.
Mango and JDUB will be here in a couple of hours and were anxious to share the excitement of the new coach with Mango.

Jerry Winchester
01-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Well Mike is driving now (headed from Phoenix to Tucson) and we are function testing the stereo (it has a separate connection for an iPod), so we listened to Mike's old timer snoozer music while I drove, so we have some real driving music going now.

I'll get the camera out and get some shots of bus boy. We barely got stopped in the WalMart parking lot in PHX when some guy jumps out for a photo OP and then another dude stops us for a "I always wanted a Preee Vost" chat. Nice guy.

Now the Mexican food is a faint memory as we forge toward the storm with a fridge full of drinks and little chocolate donuts.

JDUB

Jerry Winchester
01-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Mike at the helm

H-345 Cental Command

Jerry Winchester
01-20-2007, 06:08 PM
We saddly learned that the dual fill H345 will burp fuel all over you just like the XL does.

Mike says, "Hey, I just want to put 180 gallons in"

I say, "Don't be a tight ass. Who's gonna fuel this thing when we hit that bad weather in Texas?"

Mike - "The passanger?"

JDUB - "Only if I am driving at the time"

Mike - "Okay, I'll put 190 gallons in"

JDUB - "Good to see that you have grown a pair"

About that time the fuel nozzle clicks off. We look at each other and as Mike grabs the nozzle, whoosh, out comes the #2. Being more fleet of foot, I am spared any involvement with the bio hazard now occuring at the Flying J.

But it clicked off at 174 gallons, so he was going to get douched anyway.

garyde
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Mike at the helm

H-345 Cental Command

Now there's a happy camper! Enjoy Mike.

MangoMike
01-20-2007, 08:47 PM

When you give a buddy a ride in your new bus, you'd think he'd cut you some slack. But baptism by #2 was good for a few laughs, especially when I used JDUB's OSU t-shirt to clean up while he was inside paying for the fuel.

Life is good.

mm

Just Plain Jeff
01-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Never one to hijack a thread. Harry is right. It was my original dream to get a 38' diesel powered Newmar with a side aisle.

Never made it.

You'd think there are plenty of people who'd sign up for a 38-40 ft coach to make it worthwhile.

But then, I have holes in my socks, unlike Anaconda Man.

MangoMike
01-20-2007, 08:57 PM

We paid homage to Jordan's in Phoenix as we stopped in for great lunch. JDUB then had to load up the fridge with viddles for the whole Winchester clan.

The Bean bus is heading down the road.

Dale: 496 Garmin w/ XM weather so we can see all the ice dumping on Nebraska.

Gary: I'm hoping to get out of club as soon as possible. But, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Swung by Tucson to See Harry and his sweetie, (Shirley was busy washing the coach). Had a nice chat but had to take a raincheck on thier offer for dinner as we have to be in Dallas by 5pm Sunday.

Harry had a lot to say, but unfortunately nothing nice about Dale ;).

Any travelers heading down I-10 feel free to stop by Harry's place and redeem our raincheck. Tell e'm JDUB sent ya.

Mango

rfoster
01-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Harry: good to see your Pic on the Forum- Where are the shorts and "T" Shirt?

Instead of JDUB, is it Beano and Mango now? I see the pavement is still blacktop instead of brown.

I know you didn't have enough time to straighten those two birds out, but if it were possible, you would be the man for the Job.:cool:

lewpopp
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Is that Harry? I think he can handle anything that comes along. But Harry, I think you and I deserve some respect for being the elders. Well, at least me.:D

Jerry Winchester
01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Well we just finished off another load of Mexican food in Lordsburg, New Mexico. Pretty good grub and now Mike is back at the wheel for the last 160 miles tonight.

It's pretty sweet kicked back on the couch while your buddy drives you around in his new sled. It's down to about 32 outside, so the heat is now on and humming along.

win42
01-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Mrs. Mango you are going to love your new magic carpet. Shirley and I thought it was fantastic. The kid did a great job picking that one. We enjoyed the brief visit with Jose and Pancho the Mexican Gormets. All of the Tortilla factories in the Southwest will be working overtime to replenish their supplies after these two finish their voyage.
Enjoy the new coach.
Harry & Shirley

dalej
01-21-2007, 06:39 AM
What's the deal Harry can't you sleep? Posting all hours of the night. I suppose seeing someone's new
H3 has got you thinking to much and now you can't sleep very good, I can hear Shirley yelling from the
back... "Harry just come back to bed, were not trading, this is a nice bus..this is what you get when you
stay at Beaudry's with new Prevost all around and inviting someone to stop that has just bought a new
one."

About that dentist thing, I confess...I won't let you work on my teeth, I seen you pounding on the
stainless, and polishing, no way!

win42
01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Dale: Mango's new coach is super nice, but to a metal guy, well you know once the alloys get in your viens your hooked. The flu bug has been upsetting our normal routines lately. I have been guilty of looking at other coaches but I can't visualize getting the extra 5 ft. in most of the places we go. I wish all parks had the layout they have here @ Beaudry's. I guess I'm not cut out to run with the big dogs. Time will tell. I really envy you younger people getting the time and resources to get into touring bus life so early in your lives. Were looking forward to seeing you and Jan in Tucson next month.

garyde
01-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Harry. Your the Man!

MangoMike
01-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Concerned POGGER's

We've been out in the hinderlands of Tx so no Internet access, ergo no postings until now. Lack of postings must have worried some folks as we got a couple of calls to make sure we weren't being held hostage at a taco joint.

Lunch in Midland, Tx.

Loading up on more fuel. Haven't had to use the series 60 since Phoenix. Currently 120 miles west of Dallas.

I plan on staying at Prevost in Ft. Worth tonight to have them checkout a couple of items in the morning. Anyone have the code for the keypad? email: mike@mangomikes.com

Note: We're wearing our official nametags.

Mike

rfoster
01-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Mango & JDUB:

In recognition of the miles covered and fuel consumed by the Taco Tour 07, we had authentic 'Santa Fe edition' Chicken enchiladas with green Chile sauce. with fresh salsa and chips. May the Tums be close.:cool:

matsprt
01-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Well I am glad this is out and man are we headed for some large fun. We would have started the taco quest on Friday out at the El Indio Taco shop in San Diego, but my flight doesn't arrive from OKC until around 9:30pm, so the initial Mexican food stop will be Jordan's in Phoenix on Saturday. We may have to fill the fridge in the H3 with take out just in case we hit a taco drought somewhere along the way.

And since Tom will be on the other side of the country, I can leave my slicker suit at home whilst I motor along from the left coast with the A1 protégé......

Stay tuned

JDUB,

Just how did you know about El Indio Shoppe ??

Michael

win42
01-22-2007, 08:43 AM
By viewing the above picture, you can tell who was doing all the driving and who got their beauty rest. Jerry you look beat, better get a weeks rest. We enjoyed your short visit in Tucson, thats the fun part of POG.

ken&ellen
01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Ellen & I have been away from the POG site for 5 days and when we finally logged on we discovered your new purchase. Way.....cool. Enjoy. Ken & Ellen

MangoMike
01-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey guys (and Debi).

We got JDUB on a plane this morning and picked up Bill from Mango's for the next leg home.

Harry, you're right about the way JDUB was looking. We worked him like a SLED DOG behind the wheel, while I laid back on the couch and ate bon bons. Although I gotta give him credit he did pay for all those great Mexican meals.

We're down at Marathon now getting a couple of items looked at, including how the HELL you turn on the webasto. Something to be said about the simplier systems in the '97 XL.

Food wise we're getting ready to make the transistion from TEXLAX's Mexican Gourmet spread to BBQ. Bill and I are heading to the Railhead in Ft. Worth for lunch for some supremely delicious pulled pork then on to Memphis tonight to explore Beale street and do some Jeff Bailey/Ben style stealth urban camping.

Man, life is good.

Photos to follow.

MM

dale farley
01-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Mango,

In my frustration with my own leveling problem, I haven't been paying too much attention to other threads for the last few days, but I do want to congratulate you on your new coach. It's a beautiful bus, and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-22-2007, 12:36 PM
John: There are some of us with the anchient SS still thinking they are a big deal. I wish the newer units were still 40 ft. The shorter length makes more sense for some of us.
Mango and JDUB will be here in a couple of hours and were anxious to share the excitement of the new coach with Mango.

Harry, I am sure you already know about this company, but we stopped by there booth at the Tampa Super RV Show, and thought we would bring it to your attention, just in case you weren't aware of them.

SuperBus1 http://www.superbus1.com/ The specialize in 40' Prevost XLIIShells " SUPERBUS 1 specializes in filling a market void with their affordable 40 Ft Prevost XLII Double Slide Luxury Motor Coach. "

They had the white 07 XLII at the show. Nice coach, simple not glitzy, reliable.

Got to go now. Gary S

Jerry Winchester
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Michael,

In the constant quest for good Mexican food, no stone goes unturned. The El Indio is a frequent stop when we get to SD.

And I was looking haggared at the Mexican food stop in Midland because I was about to pinch the head off of our waitress. But no one noticed the PP name tags.....

But now Mike is on his own since I caught the red eye back to Houston this morning. However, the tales will just now start coming out.

The first of which is, I couldn't help but notice that when Mike drives, the coach tends to move in the same direction his head turns. And since he was admonishing me to take photos, I was struggling between getting the photo right and making sure his head was facing the right direction. I got him thru several wrecks, but this one almost caused us to hit the ditch.....

merle&louise
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
MM,

Remember Interstate BBQ (Jim Neely) in Memphis. Hope you get the Webasto figured out, it's probably something simple.

Was the young lady in the blue jeans a member of the entourage?
No wonder you didn't need the Webasto to keep warm!
Do you think that Donna will believe that that girl was Winchester's aunt?

Have a safe trip home.

rmboies
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey guys (and Debi).

We got JDUB on a plane this morning and picked up Bill from Mango's for the next leg home.
Man, life is good.
MM

Life sure is good Mike! I know you are enjoying your roadtrip. I can't wait for Donna to see the coach, have your camera ready:D

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Jerry you should be ashamed of yourselves !

Did you get any other pictures like this one ? Please send

Gary S

Just Plain Jeff
01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Life sure is good Mike! I know you are enjoying your roadtrip. I can't wait for Donna to see the coach, have your camera ready:D

All this is assuming that Donna actually knows where Mango is and what he is doing.

There's a chance here that she thinks he is in Kansas City for the Annual Restaurant Accounting and Fiduciary Seminar.

Oh boy.

Loc
01-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Mike,

Congratulations on the new H3. I had been looking at it on Phil's website with lust, but my bride said not now in such a convincing way. I interpreted that as "later with my full blessing dear". Anyway, I am curious as to your thoughts on driving the H3 versus the XL. How do you like sitting a little lower? Do you feel more wind on the road (not a question regarding your trip with JDUB)? Any other differences that you like or dislike?

Thanks,

Loc

Loc
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Jerry,

I would be curious as to your thoughts on the difference between driving the H3 compared to the older XL.

Thanks,

Loc

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Well! We sure know who the crack photographers are. This shows its all in the image and not in the technology!! :D JIM

dalej
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Loc, what are you going to do if Jerry says the H3 is so much nicer of a ride? I hope he says the older coachs are still his favorite.

ps...what do you drive?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
The drivers position relative to the road in an H3 is fairly close to the the XL position. The mistaken impression about the driver sitting much lower is fostered by the extra height of the H. When the H came out that was the very first reason stated by owners of an XL against the H.

win42
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Dynamic Duo: I noticed your badges and figured you two pp's finally came out of the closet after stepping up to the new flagship. Are you going to lower yourselves to attend POG3 or are you headed back into the closet.

Loc
01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Dale,

I drive (as Jon would say) a vintage Prevost. I have a 92 XL Angola conversion which just turned 260K on the odometer. I compare it to my old Fleetwood DP and have no complaints. I keep putting fertilizer on it hoping it will grow to 45 feet, but no success to date. If Jerry says the H3 is a better ride I will feel inferior, but I have learned to live with that disappointment over the years. If he says that his XL is preferred, I am sending a little something for his Christmas stocking.

Jon,

Someone (as in the ubiquitous someone) told me that the H3 seat is about 6 inches lower than the XL. I agree the taller stance makes it seem much lower. Maybe because I cant have one, my subsconcious is looking for justification for my XL. I was curious if anyone who has driven both has any compare and contrast points of view. I like the thought of not having to polish the sides after a rain or water sprinkler attack. Additionally with two young (and boisterous) boys I think the driver's position below the main deck might be a benefit.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Loc,

I think (exterior finish aside) that the differences between the H and XL are distinct. In the XL the driver tends to be a part of the action. He is on the same plain. I have found that to be a good thing at times, and there are other times when it is distracting such as when going into nasty driving conditions.

My wife is not in favor of the H because she does a lot of the loading and it is a killer lugging heavy laundry baskets with food and clothes into an XL, and with the 90 degree turn and the added steps she wouldn't consider an H.

I think guys like the extra bay space. Since the belly of the bus is my domain, I know extra carrying capacity would allow me to pack Lew's True Value hardware store in the bus.

I have never heard anybody say they drive different, but I have often heard the noise is much less in the H. The new style XL may have eliminated that difference however.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Loc,

My wife is not in favor of the H because she does a lot of the loading and it is a killer lugging heavy laundry baskets with food and clothes into an XL, and with the 90 degree turn and the added steps she wouldn't consider an H.

Jon, wait until Peggy talks to your wife about this comment :eek:

Either you are lying to us all, or I am hen pecked, cause I load all most all of the heavy laundry, food, and am in charge of the loading of anything in the bays too ! Did I mention I also cook, and do the laundry?:(

Forget it you guys, you can't afford my service fees :D and the fringe benefits I get, well that is another story. :p

But seriously, Peg and I both like the XLII over the H for lots of reasons.

Gary S. still looking

Petervs
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
My 2 cents worth, I prefer the XL so I can sit next to my wife and have a conversation as we drive. In the H she would be sitting behind and above me and I would feel like the hired chauffeur, and she would be bored silly back there all alone. We would need an intercom so I could relay my drink orders on the interstate.

Without measuring, I believe the driving position is a lot lower in the H3, I would say a foot or two, and I like sitting higher for a better view. The main floor is about 8 inches higher than an XL, but the driver sits several steps lower.

Would be interesting to put an H3 and XL nose to nose and compare the drivers eye level at POG III.

I will stick to the XL.

Keep the change!
PetervS
94 Marathon XLV

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Gary,

When I am around I will help lug baskets and load, but there is a different dynamic at work here. I tend to be a minimalist with respect to food, clothes and the like (not tools or spare parts). My wife hates for me to see what she is loading because of the inevitable discussion that usually starts with "Do we need this?" You and you wife can have this discussion, and I will sit back and watch my wife put her spin on this.

Peter,

Two feet? I don't think so. But I agree about sitting in a hole like the hired help.

matsprt
01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
We need coloradobus here, he's owned both and should be able to qualify the driving questions....

Michael

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Exactly. Chris and Jim, Where are you guys? Snowed in?

Jerry Winchester
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I think most of the differences have been addressed, but from my perspective (driven the older XL, the newer XL and the H), here is the scoop.

The H has an outstanding ride. Better than the vintage XL? Yep. $300K better? Depends. The H will win against all comers with respect to wind noise as the lack of sliding windows in the door and driver area make this a non issue. In fact, if it were practical, I would replace my entry door window with solid glass. Mine isn't "way noisy" but you can hear it. Or maybe the door just fits better. Also, the view out of the H windows is panoramic.

Yep sitting lower gives you a little different view. Is it noticeable? Not after about the first 100 miles. The H has more of a cockpit feel, where the XL is less busy. However, because of that set up, the switches are all real close. Neither Mike nor I really liked the integral gauges in the dash. The overall resolution is not as apparent and I have to stoop to see the higher ones as the glare shield blocks them (if you are 6'6").

I really like sitting on the same level as the passengers as in the XL. In the H, even the person riding shotgun sits a little taller than the driver. This coach has a nifty air extending foot rest that comes out of the dash. Way good for me, but I could see a person with short legs not being happy. Or the seat would need to adjust down real far, so I didn't explore the travel limit on it.

I would install a rear view mirror in the center pillar on the H windshield. I have one on the XL and it is convex so I can see everyone or every place in the front of the coach. It just makes conversation easier (or at least for me).

We never drove in any heavy wind, but that will have to factor into the equation because I can tell you that standing next to the H vs. the XL, it is one big honkin bus. Way tall (14.1 clearance).

I was also about to consider replacing my mirrors with the solid large piece and the convex mirror on the top. After driving with a set, I will stick to the split mirror with the larger convex mirror built in. It is more natural to look lower for cars that are in the blind spot and I am sure this made for some nervous folks when the blinker came on. My F350 has the same set up, so maybe that is what I am used to and no one else has this issue.

The H turning radius is way sweet. The 45'er turns inside the vintage XL 40'er and that took a little getting used to. I don't think I nicked any curbs, but it turns very nicely. Also, the steering wheel is smaller than the standard XL one, but I changed mine out last year and it is about the same size, so that wasn't as big a change for me as it was for Mike.

Mike was sad that neither coach had the beaver shooter window, but maybe that is an '07 option.

This coach also has a great back up camera set up (color) and you can see both the hitch ball and far down the road at the same time. A night setting would have been nice, but maybe you need to Urban Assault Vehicle version to get that option. It also has a cable to plug your iPod into the sound system with a master volume control that is way sweet.

It also has very smart systems that that played against Mike and I in that we wanted to turn things off and on where it wanted us to just set the temperature and let it decide what to do. We searched for two days looking for the Webasto controls. Seems the SMX Cruisair controls handle all the heating functions including running the heat pumps, running the electric heat and controlling the "12V Heat" (Marathon term) which is code for Webasto.

Now I know the question asked didn't anticipate me making some kind of full blown comparison between the coaches, but make no mistake; this is a VERY nice coach and more sophisticated in every since than our '92. Lots of things I mundanely do (shore power hook up, tank dumping, etc) are considerably easier on this and probably most newer coaches.

What else?

dalej
01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I like the way this disscussion is going. I really like our bus but everyone still always ask what year is it....pause and say its a 86. Our home on land was built in 87 and nobody ever ask. I just can't imagine trading and starting to learn all the new moods and quirks of a newer bus.

I'm really excited for others to get new or newer bus's but when we get back home and I go out in the bus barn to spend time tinkering on ours, life is good!

Jerry Winchester
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Dale,

That is exactly right. Almost every person I come in contact with thinks our coach is brand new. We had a guy pounce on us in the WalMart parking lot in Phoenix ask Mike if the H was brand new.

You have to remember that 99.99% of the people you run into have no knowledge of these coaches and can't tell an old one from a new one.

I even have people as if my 1969 Bonanza is new (I'm sure it is the futuristic V design and classic styling), so unless you own an old beater 210, who will know?

Jon Wehrenberg
01-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I'd like to add another perspective to Jerry's post to isolate the XL and H differences, because Jerry seems to be doing some measurement against his coach.

We went from a 40 foot 8V92 to a 45 foot Series 60.

I can tell you the difference made a liar out of me. I was always of the opinion the difference was just the engine, and that difference was solely related to MPG and the sound.

Well in the 10 years between 1987 and 1997 Prevost was at work. So were the converters. The first reaction was how quiet the bus had gotten. I have no idea if it was 40 versus 45 feet, or the series 60 versus the 8V92, but the sound level change was enormous. The newer bus is not a better hill climber because the added torque is offset by the added weight, but it comes off the line from a stop much better and the shifts are smoother. The mileage increase has paid huge dividends, not only in cost to drive, but I spend less time in truck stops. With an increased fuel supply and better mileage I went from about 1200 miles to empty (really, really empty) to about 2300 miles to empty. So I spend less time at truck stops, and the ones I go into are the ones with cheap fuel because I have options.

But the converters were hard at work also. The systems are so much better in terms of ease of use. If you never had to manually switch power supplies you will never appreciate how nice it is to have a bus that doesn't care if you are on batteries, shore power or generator. It just takes care of things by itself.

Jerry mentions the electric power cord reel. That is a simple thing that really is a big deal. The devil is in the details so the little things that look initially like they are glitz or unnecessary soon become conveniences that are practical.

I have no knowledge of whether Mike's new H has gone beyond his XL and if so how far, but one thing is clear and that is as the coaches get newer they are definitely improving.

MangoMike
01-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm a little behind in my postings as we've had the hammer down trying to make Dinner in Knoxville in time for the Early Bird Specials. But some interesting comments were posted on the H vs XL and Jerry did a good job of summing things up. But here's my current views - more to follow.

I MISS THE BIG WHEEL. Of course this would also pertain to new XLII's, but the kids and I also talk about heading down the road in the Prevo with arms spread out holding that big wheel. It's a MAN"s wheel. It's an icon of the bus and I miss it. Upside is Ms. Donna will be more inclinded to drive it as it's less intimidating.

Drivers Seat: According to the H3 Pro, Jim Lane, eye level is only 8" less than the XL's. I haven't measured yet, but I believe this to be true. Same great view over all the 4 wheelers and traffic. No downside. It does seem that the drivers area is a little more cramped, but not uncomfortably so. Great visibility. And I think there's going to be a lot of times when I'm glad I'm a little secluded up front from the Mangoettes. Backup camera is full color, but don't need it and the B&W gave much better nighttime low light display. This one is almost worthless at night. If I can trade out the camera for B&W I will.

WindNoise: Much quieter than the XL. Don't know why but it is.

Co-Pilot Seat: Sits about 12" back and about 6" higher than the drivers seat. I don't like it. It's incredibly hard to get comfortable with it, even with the flip out foot rest. It's not hard to have a conversation and I don't feel like the hired help. (Only when I'm driving for Winchester).

Bays: Huge! I'm going to sublease it one at the next POG rally for housing. No entertainment bay in this model and even with BUS AIR we have 2 complete pass thru Bays.

Outside: I do MISS the stainless, but I have to tell you with the extra height (9" I believe) standing next to this dude you just go WOW, it's BIG. If you're into BIG it's cool. The downside is we headed into Memphis last night, in search of Beale St, and we're faced with multiple low railroad bridges that caused us to backtrack at least 6x. The XL would've made most, but the H was almost a convertible. You really have to pay attention. Fast Rogers Lower Level would be the kiss of death.

Salon: A huge selling point for Ms Mango was the windows. If she hadn't seen Colorado Bus at POG II, I'm not sure I could've have done the deal without a divorce and name change (Mango Donna's) at the restaurants. Some H's only come with 2 large salon windows, but this one and I believe most of the Marathons have 3 per side plus the trapazoid windows. Making the coach feel, during the day, very open and airy. It's impressive and probably the biggest selling point in purchasing an H. Although the XLII's have also done a great job on new windows portraying the same feeling of openness. It certainly helps ease the slide desire. (Side note: Colorado Bus is one of the best laid out H's I've seen).

The next discussion will be the subtle differences between Liberty and the Dark Side.

Mike

bluevost
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey Mango and Donna,

Congrats. on the new H. It looks beautiful. Janet and I wish you many happy and healthy miles!

See you at Kerrville,

dalej
01-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Mike, its fun now to hear about these differences from Jerry and yourself.

I'm glad your having a great trip, I hope it continues. Keep adding photos, it keeps Jan and I motivated to pack and get out of here!

Ben
01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Mango... here's your next upgrade. You can take that four windshield H3 and have it converted to the new sytle two windshield look and even get the new headlight look. If I remember right it was a 20-30K upgrade.

http://www.miracarcoach.com/eng/gallery_prevost.php ("http://www.miracarcoach.com/eng/gallery_prevost.php")

Start drooling buddy :D

Nice coach by the way.

I'm really glad you did the H3 and a Marathon so I can hear about what's different and what you think of it all.

garyde
01-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Hi Mike. Does this mean the 'Church of Love' will now have two Prevosts. I bet the Chaplin will be passing a LARGE collection plate this Sunday!

lewpopp
01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
During the comparison of Jon's 87 and the 97, I am trying to figure out how he got 1200 miles on a tank in the 87 and increased it to 2300 on the 97.

Hmmmm. If they both had 260 gallon tanks, the 87 would get about 5mpg and that would be the 1200 or so miles. On the 97, does it have a 400 gallon tank? That would have to be to get that many miles on one fill if you were getting 8 mpg.

Wow ! Am I in the dark ages.

Lew

rfoster
01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Well Folks I am not worthy to be the first to post from the Knoxville/ Mango dinner tonight, but here goes. Mango has got the mother H. It is Beautiful, Roomy, and Huge. His 45 footer is bigger than my 45 footer (inside for sure) If you didn't already have a case of MPD, you could get an epedemic dose here. It is an impressive coach.

We had a round of cow meat at outback with Jon & Di, Tom and Nancy, Micki, Mango and his co pilot Bill. The food was good and the company was great!! For some reason Mike didn't order any Tacos -

Well they are on the last 100 miles across Tennessee, last I heard they are still northbound in a high level of comfort and looking great.

Congrats Mango, you did good.:cool:

Sting
01-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Nice Bus Mango! How did your trip at Prevost in Dallas go. Hope the info I gave was helpful. After tacos and all other foods you should have detoured my way for some of the best food you will ever eat, cajun style. Hope to see your new coach in person. Again, it looks really nice.

dalej
01-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey Ben, I looked at the upgrade for the H3, it says "same H3 with upgrade" but look closely, they are different bus's. Maybe they did the whole paint and front end.

truk4u
01-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Likewise, we had a nice dinner and got the tour of the Taco Mobile and we are very impressed. Mama Mango and the Mangoettes are going to love their new bus.;) The church of love will never be the same with two Mango Motherships in the parking lot.:eek:

But, there is a down side to all of this. Now that he has an H, it seems his priorities are a little out of wack. It may be the fact that he now owns two Prevosts, I'm not sure. When he got out of the bus in Knoxville, he had on a coat and tie and yelled to Bill, "park the bus, I'm to important to mess with all that work" and headed for the salad bar. We grabbed him, brought him back to reality and made him change his clothes, but he refused to take off the gold plated badge!

Yep, you see it, his new Prevost Prouds gold badge

Left to Right - Roger, Micki, Proud boy, Tom, Nancy, Jon & Di

Mothership ll arrives, large crowd waiting

When he left he was sitting in the right seat in his underwear and I heard him tell Bill, "take me home, your a better driver than that Anaconda Boy from Texas, I got chicken to jerk"...

rmboies
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=truk4u;9511]Likewise, we had a nice dinner and got the tour of the Taco Mobile and we are very impressed. Mama Mango and the Mangoettes are going to love their new bus.;)
QUOTE]

Oh, no doubt Tom, they are going to love it and I bet Donna is sleeping in the H3 tonight:D

The only thing missing from this picture is me and Bob:p

BTW, for you Hickory, NC folks and possibly even the NE TN contingent, Bob--00 will be in Hickory at the big racing supply trade show right off I-40. Just thought I would let you know in case you would like to go and harass him into attending POGIII

MangoMike
01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Man Life is Good.

First the West Coast Poggers treat me right and now the East contingent. That $100 is paid off ten fold. Had a great dinner last night and many laughs at the expense of those not in attendance. What are friends for. I hope my new found PP friends are just as nice. ;)

Currently a 100 miles from home and looking forward to the feedback from the Mangoettes. It's been a long trip but not without some great talks, a lot of laughs and way too many tacos and anacondas.

Thanks to everyone who posted an ATA BOY for the new bus it was certainly appreciated. Looking forward to seeing you all at POG III.

Mike

Just Plain Jeff
01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
MM:

Had a guy who was willing to pay $350K cash money for a 97 Liberty XLV and told him you would be at the next Prevost Prouds rally.

Good luck man! :D

Ben
01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Dale,

It's the same bus... they repainted the front and usually update the graphics at the same time. I talked to them about it quite a while ago... I think they even figured out how to do it without having to remove all that much of the interior.

They also retrofit slides, so Mango will always have something to drool over even after this upgrade.

dalej
01-26-2007, 09:51 AM
So Mike, are you going to let us know how the home coming went? I have been waiting for you to let
us know what the family thought of the new coach! I'm sure they were ecstatic. Overall are you glad
you went into the H3? Also please post when your mother-ship #1 sells, so I can stop thinking about
the cost of owning 2 of them babies.

MangoMike
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Dale and Jan,

Thanks for asking as the reports are filtering in from the family.

Ms. Donna - 10.0 exceeded expectations, much better than the cheezy pixs on Phil Coopers Site.

Dakota - 9.8. Still misses the shiny metal. "What's with that Dad?"

Joyce (Mother-in-Law) - 5.2 No university for her grandkids - vision of communtiy colleges in the future.

Not Pictured:

Danielle (17) - 9.7 - New bus hasn't got the good hiding places for the boyfriend like old bus.

Chelsea (15) - 9.8 - Initial comments as we picked her up in the bus at HS following basketball practice " NO WAY, NO WAY, NO WAY". Missed the 10.0 - by lack of the big steering wheel.

Overall they're very excited. Although still 45' they couldn't believe how much bigger it was. The air slide bathroom door and 2 sinks were a big hit.

Mike

Just Plain Jeff
01-26-2007, 08:59 PM
And CK says.....?

rfoster
01-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Mango: Very effective and fun way to communicate the family score cards. Great - Micki and I got a kick out that.

Does this mean the Mother-N-Law Doesn't get to go on any trips?

rmboies
01-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Mango,

I got a kick out of the score cards--somehow I knew miss Donna's would have a 10!~ This coach suits her contemporary style and they are both gorgeous:D Mom in law will likely get at least a ride in the coach, right? After all, she is just trying to protect the future of her grandchildren! Can't blame her for that. Bob agrees with you and your daughter about the steering wheel though, the big one is much "cooler". The independent front suspension should make up for that though;)

Ben
01-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Mango,

You should be glad that Jerry has been in the states for a while, otherwise he might still drive like he does on his fire extinguisher trips... I caught him on film last time:

http://www.smithappens.com/flash/539/Hummer-driving-through-baghdad.html

Ben
01-29-2007, 05:17 PM
It looks like Mango has rented this old bus to the richest man in the world:

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/01/VistaOutside.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/01/vistapress1.jpg

Now if you could just get his Visa number, you could pay for your H3.

Jerry Winchester
01-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Well I'm glad that even Bill Gates can't get the chrome to stay on those crappy Ramco mirrors. Makes me feel better for all you chrome-a-haulics.

Ben, we drive like that in Libya, but we never go to downtown Baghdad. Too many IEDs. We like this drive better. Less camels to deal with.......

bill&jody
02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
hey mango . . . so sorry we missed the big tour. looks great! now you have room for all of us!!!!! beautiful coach - it is still a coach without the stainless, right?
see you soon.
jody (and bill)
hi donna!