PDA

View Full Version : Supporting the bus

gmcbuffalo
01-16-2007, 09:19 PM
When I had my GMC pd4107 I could support the bus chassis by putting a hardwood block between the bumper rests and the frame. These are small posts that when the bus air bags are defleated the chassis would rest on them. I would raise the air bags as high as they would go, put a block under the bus and crawl under with my hardwood block and put them between the frame and these post, then lower the bus down on to them. The bus chassis could only drop lower if the tires went flat.

My question now is this possible with a Prevost? I have yet to get under my bus without a ramp.

GregM

garyde
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi Greg. There are Threads regarding this subject. Your Prevost Manual also addresses the Chassis and Axle Jacking Locations. There are seperate Locations for each. Raising the Coach via the Air bags to its highest level, Blocking the Coach at the Locations shown is the correct procedure. Using two 20 ton Jacks or 6x6 blocking at each point. The Axles will not do it.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Greg,

My 45 has different body support points than my 40 had. The key is to look for the heavy vertical members that are part of the axle subframes. That is the support point. I think if you are just changing a wheel supporting the axle to raise the tire is fine as long as you do not go under the coach, but anytime you intend to go under the coach you need a fail safe or two means of support.

If you can't find specific info on the POG site (I think I wrote something with some photos) I will go under the coach and take some and post them.

gmcbuffalo
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
What I was trying to describle was a method where you elimate the chassis from being supported by the airbags. The weight of the chassis is bypassing the airbags with the hardwood blocks. The weight is transfered directly to the axles with the blocks. Therefore the airbags could not give out on you as your were under it. Of course the Prevost is 15K lbs heavier than the 4107.
Greg

Jon Wehrenberg
01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
There are no points between which I could put blocks or a support between the axles and the body. At least none that I would recommend.

Dale J has perhaps the most elegant way of supporting the coach with the airbags fully extended. He has made some pipes cut to the length necessary to fit between the body support points and the concrete pad under the bus, and once they are positioned, he lowers the coach on to them. Simple, foolproof and safe.

gmcbuffalo
01-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Jon
I will have to just use block under those points, since I have a blacktop driveway I was looking for a way to keep from making holes in the blacktop. I worked well for the 4107 but it doesn't sound like it's possible for my XL.
Greg

4BAJA
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Greg,
You are very correct, remembering how to block the GM bump travel stops.
most newer airbags, bus and truck are all internal ( inside the air bellows)
bump-stop, there are few if any axle to chassis areas to safely block, virtualy
none on IFS front