PDA

View Full Version : Will Costs Go Up????????

Jon Wehrenberg
02-08-2006, 07:35 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Nothing makes it easier to see change than to stop looking at something for a while. We don't see ourselves getting fatter because we look in the mirror daily, but others who do not see us daily see those extra pounds right away.

Maybe I'm wrong, but sites I monitor on a regular basis (my focus is on Liberty coaches) appear to have much less inventory than they have had recently. For a while there seemed to be a glut of coaches and that signalled a drop in prices. There were some real buying opportunities. Now I think I see less coaches for sale and I hope that signals an increase in the health of the conversion business. Nobody wins if converters fail.

For those who own a coach I think the lack of available coaches will slow the depreciation, but for those who want to be owners the market may have passed the bottom point and there may no longer be any "bargains".

Does anybody else see this or am I messed up because I hung with Jeff for a few days?

ken&ellen
02-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Jon, You are right on Target. Eventhough we are hearing positive rhetoric out of Washington as to the state of the economy ...the automotive related industries are taking a beating. The cut backs at the big three will, in my opinion, adversely effect the the supply chain. Add to this the rising fuel cost which are projected to hit the $70 per barrel mark in the near future. Many of the SOB's are marketing smaller and more fuel efficient coaches to drawing in consumers. Since I purchased my Liberty in Dec. Royale announced their departure and Angola is in bankruptcy. I am sure that most converters will cut back on more than just inventory! Ken

MangoMike
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm going to pull out my Detroit Diesel and replace it with an electric motor and run if off my 20kw generator - just like the locomotives. That should save some fuel.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
02-08-2006, 12:11 PM
This last trip we didn't even use the Detroit Diesel. We started the Hummer and Di worked the gas pedal while I issued instructions over the cell phone.

When car gas goes back to more than diesel fuel we will start the Detroit up again.:)

MangoMike
02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey Di,

You Go Girl!

Mango

Jeffery Raymond
02-08-2006, 05:54 PM
We may have some good ideas happening here: A solar powered Prevost may be an option. A 500 hp mill at 2000 RPM will provide 17,332 inch/lbs in torque. To convert to ft/lbs divide by 12.

No need for a transmission, heavy fuel tanks, nasty feet from truck stops and the rest of most coaches are electric anyway.

Boy, would I miss the smell of diesel in the morning.

Jerry Winchester
02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Why don't you just go up in the attic of your shop and break open a couple of bales of Jon Bucks and fill the damn coach up. A man with a Hummer, two airplanes, a Corvette and Prevost coach can't be worried about the price of diesel fuel. At least it isn't like buying 100 LL.

Although the GPS says my airplane gets 14mpg when LOP at almost 190 mph. :eek:

pognumber26
02-09-2006, 08:36 AM
When I entered the Florida SS to browse,I noticed some nervous sales people at the big 3 converter booths...As soon as I found a coach that appealed to me a "VERY" aggressive offer was put on the table...Thus my new Marathon H-3 45...Which I am in the second day of a MAGNIFICENT shake down cruise in the Florida Keys!!! Back on topic...as far as Marathon coach is concerned, at least as it was told to me...After a SLOW NOV-JAN SALES PERIOD, THEY WERE SITTING ON APRX 17 NEW coaches and went to the SS with the intention of SELLING coaches...The fact that I was able to purchase a coach that I enquired about in October for six figures $$$ LESS was a sure sign that there WAS an oversupply ...Since the show they have effectively trimmed inventory to the point that they are now committed to completing the FULL production run for the '06 model year...There are some pretty new and used coaches in San Antonio Fla....FYI

Just Plain Jeff
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
This is an older thread which I am resurrecting here as there are members who are snooping around for new-to-them coaches...and a few who hadn't planned on becoming fleet operators.

A quick survey of a few of the usual suspects reveals that the preowned Prevost coach marketplace is moving along very nicely. What is happening is that many who have owned the higher end traditional production fiberglass coaches are nudging themselves into the Prevost ownership realm. The toughest obstacle is that the wholesale plastic market is now limited to buying 3 or 4 slide coaches for the most part. That is driving down the value of even late model trades to unmentionable levels. (As in 'you don't want to know). There is depreciation in any coach, but in one case, a 2005 2-slide plastic coach which had an original MSRP of $480K was tagged at $100 and the deal was done.

Certainly a Prevost isn't the worlds best investment, but if one wants to be on the road, the better buy is a quality pre-owned Prevost in good shape. There doesn't appear to be as much of an inventory than a year ago. There is an 'official' report which Prevost Car furnishes each month, but it doesn't include private offerings, much of the internet for sale market and so on, so is hopelessly inaccurate (if anyone cares).

win42
06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Mango: the electric coach sounds good, but you better get a good buy on extension cord. I'm going to follow the idea the San Francisco Muni Bus Company had. Put a huge Flywheel on the bus, wind it up at night when it is out of service and electricity is cheap Then run it all the next day off the flywheel.
Jon: Speaking for the two bus guys I hope your right about a good market for used Prevosts.

garyde
06-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I spoke to a Sales friend at Buddy Gregg on Friday of last Week. Their Coaches are flying off the lot. He said he has had his best sales Month EVER!
Now this is a person who has been Selling Prevosts and Plastic Coaches for many many years. So what is going on? Deisel is expensive , Housing and consumer debt are in the negatives, and the Stock Market is way up.
Anyway, he called me to let me know a 2007 Prevost Country Coach was just traded in for a Monaco Signature 4 slide. How odd is that? What's this world coming to?:rolleyes:

Joe Cannarozzi
06-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Gary

Mabye the guy couldn't do without a screen door:D

merle&louise
06-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Gary,

How in the world is that trade-in (2007 Prevost CC for a Monaco Signature) going to work out? Is Buddy Gregg going to give the ex-Prevost owner the Monaco + $1,000,000 :eek: :eek:

Talk about upside down:confused:

Do you know if the Prevost was a slide coach?

Orren Zook
06-13-2007, 11:25 AM
I see that Robin McCracken has 10 - 2007 Vantare Coaches advertised for under a million at http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=36204 maybe it would be worth a call!

garyde
06-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I see that Robin McCracken has 10 - 2007 Vantare Coaches advertised for under a million at http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=36204 maybe it would be worth a call!

I spoke with Robin today via e-mail. Instead of Marketing the Coaches at list and haggling, he is offering them at set prices. $975000.00 for a new one.
Apparently, Vantare is refocusing the buisness toward consumers again instead of Nascar and Entertainment.