PDA

View Full Version : Rear Clearance lights

JIM KELLER
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
99 XL 45 Country Coach. One of the five top clearance lights on the back of the bus has no power. It is not the socket. I have pricked the wire checking power. Upon removal of the panels inside the rear closet the wires cannot be found. Im sure they are under the yellow blown in foam insulation. Does anyone know what route the wires take once inside the shell ? Has anyone cut away or removed the insulation to trace a wire like this ? I have considered splicing into the next closest clearance light but there is a plastic insert inside the bus shell that the lamp fits into. I cannot determine the proper removal of this part to access the wire. If anyone has had this type problem or has any helpful advise I would be appreciative. Also hope I have posted this new thread in the right place !

Jon Wehrenberg
01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Jim, You are in the right place on the forum. Welcome aboard. I answered on the other site, but can any of the computer wizards pull up the drawing I referenced on prevost-stuff and post it here for Jim to see?

Jim, we got those CDs from JDUB who was kind enough to copy them and pass them out at POG II. Perhaps if he is not out snuffing fires or trying to start the Bo maybe he could figure a way to get a copy to you.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Jim,

Still playing around with the diagrams and I ran across some others that show the source for the light in question coming from the RH side rear clearance light. It is possible yours can be coming from either direction to the light that is not functioning.

Jerry Winchester
01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Jim,

If you e-mail your mailing address, I will send you the wiring diagram. Or you can just put the Lew fix on it and run a wire from one of the other lights across the backside of the bus and tape the wire down and go from there......:eek:

Petervs
01-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi Jim,

I have not had this problem, but here are a couple ideas.

Since this fixture is mounted in the fiberglass rear cap, the ground wire is equally important. Check for continuity between the bad fixture ground wire and the ground on a neighboring working fixture. Some corrosion at the terminal might be causing the problem.

If there is no power at the fixture, you can assume the wire goes to the one next to it on either side, and you really do not need to see the whole wire, just the other end.

Open the neighboring fixtures and look for evidence of corrosion or a broken wire. If you see something suspect you can probably fix it easily, if not, don't make this a bigger problem than it is.

Just drill a 1/8 inch hole in both fixtures, the broken one and one that has power, straight through into the closet, and run a new wire between them inside the closet. A dab of silicone sealer on the hole to seal it up good.

Worst case you are done in a half hour.

Good luck!

JIM KELLER
01-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Jerry, thanks. My email address is : j.r.keller@email.com

JIM KELLER
01-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Pete, You hit the nail on the head with "dont make this a bigger problem than it is." One of my faults is I tend to be a "restoration guy" as opposed to a "repair guy." Unfortunately it usually bites me. I have looked at the diagram Jon told me about and I will look at the email Jerry sends me. With all this information the "repair" should be simple. Thanks, Jim.